BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > First generation BMW M2 production: 2015-2020

12-06-2015, 04:27 PM   #67
chambolle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 M3 coupe; 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm123 View Post
New m2 looks great and has a ton of horsepower but wouldnt it be better to just go up to an m3 or m4. Bigger car, more horses. I feel like the m2 will get looked over.
That would presume I want a bigger car. Which I definitely do not want.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2015, 04:28 PM   #68
mattm123
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambolle
Quote:
New m2 looks great and has a ton of horsepower but wouldnt it be better to just go up to an m3 or m4. Bigger car, more horses. I feel like the m2 will get looked over.
Its all personal preference
      12-06-2015, 04:30 PM   #69
chambolle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Good! Just like the E30M3. And that's the point... Seen the marketing material ? The M2 marketing materials show the 1M, E30 M3, and 2002tii. None of those were large cars.

Most buyers will get an M4 or M3. And yes Glenn @Sakhirm4 those are big cars '.

The simple truth is those cars are probably larger than the E28M5 and E24 M6. The E30 M3 was seen as a boy racer. A brash, sports car , not a GT.

Those same buyers are still in the market place. Hence the M2.
BINGO!
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2015, 04:52 PM   #70
chambolle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
Just drive the living daylights out of it and don't worry about resale.
After driving around in a sluggy 325e that I picked up from a colleague at the end of her lease (with something like 20k miles on it), I got tired of redlining at 4500 revs and got on the waiting list for my hellrot E36 M3 in summer 1994. My car came off the production line in October, I took delivery around December 10, 1994, paid cash for the MSRP (around $35k at that time) and haven't regretted one minute of the 21 years I have driven the car. I didn't buy it as an investment, I bought it to drive.

And in retrospect, I am glad I bought the early '95 production. My sense is the car became increasingly sissified and plebian in its later iterations (other than the LTW). I imagine that comment will spark controversy. So be it.

Call it 'dated' or call it 'classic'. Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a damn. I have a hard time imagining myself in another car. The M2 is the first one to really draw me in since, and I look forward to owning one. Hopefully I will bond with it as I did with the E36, but who knows.

That's what it's all about, in my opinion.

One regret - not buying an E30 M3 when they were still somewhat easy to score for $20-25k or so, just 5 to 7 years back or thereabouts. I would love to own one, but not $75k worth of love.
Appreciate 2
      12-06-2015, 09:18 PM   #71
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black '12 135i - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambolle View Post
After driving around in a sluggy 325e that I picked up from a colleague at the end of her lease (with something like 20k miles on it), I got tired of redlining at 4500 revs and got on the waiting list for my hellrot E36 M3 in summer 1994. My car came off the production line in October, I took delivery around December 10, 1994, paid cash for the MSRP (around $35k at that time) and haven't regretted one minute of the 21 years I have driven the car. I didn't buy it as an investment, I bought it to drive.

And in retrospect, I am glad I bought the early '95 production. My sense is the car became increasingly sissified and plebian in its later iterations (other than the LTW). I imagine that comment will spark controversy. So be it.

Call it 'dated' or call it 'classic'. Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a damn. I have a hard time imagining myself in another car. The M2 is the first one to really draw me in since, and I look forward to owning one. Hopefully I will bond with it as I did with the E36, but who knows.

That's what it's all about, in my opinion.

One regret - not buying an E30 M3 when they were still somewhat easy to score for $20-25k or so, just 5 to 7 years back or thereabouts. I would love to own one, but not $75k worth of love.
You can pick up a low mileage 135i for about $24k, and they are wickedly fun to drive.
      12-10-2015, 10:38 PM   #72
Spook410
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Infiniti EX35

Quote:
You can pick up a low mileage 135i for about $24k, and they are wickedly fun to drive.
I put 120K miles on an early 95 E36 M3. Great car and I miss it. But the 135 I had was perfect for ED and a complete blast. Unfortunately my 2008 had too many issues so I had to bid it farewell. Still, not sure there is anything else out there with the such a good cost/fun ratio.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 12:33 AM   #73
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook410 View Post
I put 120K miles on an early 95 E36 M3. Great car and I miss it. But the 135 I had was perfect for ED and a complete blast. Unfortunately my 2008 had too many issues so I had to bid it farewell. Still, not sure there is anything else out there with the such a good cost/fun ratio.
2011 and later cars are more reliable.
      12-12-2015, 01:52 AM   #74
Spook410
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Infiniti EX35

Quote:
Hope we don't find ourselves somewhere in the future noting that 2019 and later M2's are more reliable..
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2015, 03:56 AM   #75
///Jason
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 20i S-Drive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook410 View Post
Hope we don't find ourselves somewhere in the future noting that 2019 and later M2's are more reliable..
Same; however surely thats always the risk when buying a new model within the first few years of its production?
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2015, 07:02 AM   #76
G8rGrl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambolle
Quote:
This is the problem. I want the M2 size and body but with all the features and colors and options of the M4. I'm willing to pay for it...but BMW won't give it to me.
Appreciate 2
      12-12-2015, 11:25 AM   #77
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8rGrl View Post
This is the problem. I want the M2 size and body but with all the features and colors and options of the M4. I'm willing to pay for it...but BMW won't give it to me.
Me too. Like many of us, you will need to weigh (pun intended) what is more important to you. I sold my e60 M5, what I thought would be a dream car, mainly because it was just too heavy.

Would you prefer driving enjoyment from power and features or do you want a car that many expect to be more nimble through the twisties?

The launch videos show that an M2 can burn rubber at an angle without much effort. As you pointed out, it's not just about weight. It's about the size of the car and the location of the weight or how compact the weight is packaged.
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 2
      12-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #78
neckthrough
Private
Rep
Drives: 328i, 350z

Quote:
Nailed it. I'm willing to pay M4 money for an M2 to get the options I want.

This whole "entry-level M as a gateway to the M lifestyle" is a bogus argument and only applies to posers who want an M car for the M badge. I want an M2 but I am not interested in an M3/4/5/6/X. At all. An M2 is *not* an entryway into an upgrade path - it is a special, independent product in and of itself, and I believe many customers are willing to pay a premium for customization options available from the factory.
Appreciate 3
      12-13-2015, 03:35 PM   #79
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckthrough View Post

This whole "entry-level M as a gateway to the M lifestyle" is a bogus argument and only applies to posers who want an M car for the M badge. I want an M2 but I am not interested in an M3/4/5/6/X. At all. An M2 is *not* an entryway into an upgrade path - it is a special, independent product in and of itself, and I believe many customers are willing to pay a premium for customization options available from the factory.
Except it IS an entryway into the M group....according to BMW. Can't please everyone. Its a marketing and manufacturing decision. Do you know how much work it takes to retool a line for one car model?
Appreciate 2
      12-13-2015, 05:08 PM   #80
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Except it IS an entryway into the M group....according to BMW. Can't please everyone. Its a marketing and manufacturing decision. Do you know how much work it takes to retool a line for one car model?
But how much really has to been done on the production line for the M2?In the video that was posted with the M engineers,they talk about how they had to make sure that there weren't any issues with the extra width of the M2 on the production line and there were none.

When I toured the Regensburg plant back in 2005,there were 3 series coupes,3 series sedans,M3 coupes and 1 series cars on the same production line.I really don't think it is a big deal to add another model to a BMW production plant.

BMW wants to keep this car limited in production and in specs,just to make sure they keep people that are buying an M4 feel like they are getting the superior car IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 05:29 PM   #81
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
But how much really has to been done on the production line for the M2?In the video that was posted with the M engineers,they talk about how they had to make sure that there weren't any issues with the extra width of the M2 on the production line and there were none.

When I toured the Regensburg plant back in 2005,there were 3 series coupes,3 series sedans,M3 coupes and 1 series cars on the same production line.I really don't think it is a big deal to add another model to a BMW production plant.

BMW wants to keep this car limited in production and in specs,just to make sure they keep people that are buying an M4 feel like they are getting the superior car IMO.
I'm referring to having multiple options available like paint, interior, leather, etc....the only choices you get already exist on pre-existing cars on the production line, and packaging them into limited choices keeps the cost down.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2015, 05:58 PM   #82
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Yes, but a notable downgrade on the engine front, if you're looking to add power. Personally, and for many, if you're looking to modify, it's well worth the bit of added complexity with the N54 vs. N55.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 07:40 PM   #83
neckthrough
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
I agree that this is probably a first-order concern (along with cost). Fear of cannibalization runs deep in the psyche of many large corporations, and this fear drives the practice of artificial de-featuring of lesser models. Unfortunately some corporations take this fear too far, and the competition ends up "cannibalizing" them instead. In some other cases corporations figure out a way to re-package their solutions to maintain some differentiation while playing to each product's unique strengths (e.g., Cayman GT4 vs. 911 GT3).
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 09:03 PM   #84
Arcanum-UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i on Order

Quote:
This whole "entry-level M as a gateway to the M lifestyle" is a bogus argument and only applies to posers who want an M car for the M badge.
You have a fair point about wanting customisation options on M2, but the above comment doesn't really make sense.

If BMW had put the carbon roof, M mirrors, etc on the M2, but left M235i suspension and engine in place you'd have a case. It would be a poser car.

Instead, BMW have focussed on the dynamics of the M2 and restricted what is possible on customisation. I'd argue that makes it less of a poser car as they value function over form (leaving aside the non-functional side vents which are just dumb).
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 10:39 PM   #85
Diver
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Yes, but a notable downgrade on the engine front, if you're looking to add power. Personally, and for many, if you're looking to modify, it's well worth the bit of added complexity with the N54 vs. N55.
I wouldn't call it a downgrade, but it is true the N54 can take more hopping up. The main problem was the HPFP. Also, if you did not haver an MT6, the old 6 speed auto was kind of an antique.
      12-14-2015, 12:06 AM   #86
neckthrough
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanum-UK View Post
You have a fair point about wanting customisation options on M2, but the above comment doesn't really make sense.

If BMW had put the carbon roof, M mirrors, etc on the M2, but left M235i suspension and engine in place you'd have a case. It would be a poser car.

Instead, BMW have focussed on the dynamics of the M2 and restricted what is possible on customisation. I'd argue that makes it less of a poser car as they value function over form (leaving aside the non-functional side vents which are just dumb).
I'm not saying that the M2 is a poser car at all. Quite the opposite - I believe BMW M focused the limited upgrade budget on the stuff that matters most for a car that is expected to see track-duty.

I was specifically objecting to the marketing department's positioning of the car as an M-brand gateway.

I was also stating that although the M2 has the basic essentials covered as a car I'm interested in, I would also be happy to pay a little extra for features such as independent selection of steering, suspension and throttle-response settings, and other non-essential niceties such as color choices, LED headlights, etc.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2015, 04:21 AM   #87
Arcanum-UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i on Order

OK, I follow you.

Individual selection of throttle and steering may be possible through i-drive as it is on the Mx35i. It makes sense that BMW didn't want to add new switches in to the M2 when they've leveraged the rest of the Mx35i interior so heavily. However, I'd be surprised if the M division didn't want to support individual selection so it's likely through i-drive.

Shame about the lack of adaptive suspension though. It's a feature on my M235i and my last M135i I really liked.

Last edited by Arcanum-UK; 12-14-2015 at 04:31 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2015, 06:46 AM   #88
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by neckthrough
Quote:

Indeed many feel the same by the Porsche vs BMW approach and cost differences. Any sized Porsche is finished in the same spec and luxury, quite different to the rest of the industry.