BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Track Forum General Chit Chat

01-10-2022, 06:53 PM   #771
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfmanÂ’s Brother View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2_CircuitHero View Post
I think some context helps here, because it seems like we've strayed very far off the original topic I was shooting for-- we were originally talking about a guy that listens to music while driving at the limit, complaining that the steering wheel is "flying" all about. That seemed like a dangerous combination to me lol
OG Shark is a fairly experienced driver from what I can tell
Experienced and capable
      01-10-2022, 07:10 PM   #772
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2_CircuitHero View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Yeah we're going in circles. We're largely in agreement, but Ive been around too many club level instructors that only want to hammer the "smooth is fast" approach. Which is smart and safer especially for the willing body riding shotgun.

My point is sure, but "fast isn't always smooth". As of result of these instructors, too many focus on smooth, smooth, smooth, and therefore are uncomfortable with the reality that going faster means getting comfortable with variables moving faster as well. Which means you have to be faster in recognizing what you're feeling and what the inputs are needed to direct the outcome. This won't necessarily be smooth or look effortless. That's it.

Wow, yeah that's a good way to put it-- I'm gonna use that in the future, thank you

You are correct fast isn't always smooth and HPDE instructors definitely mindlessly preach smooth is king!

I think some context helps here, because it seems like we've strayed very far off the original topic I was shooting for-- we were originally talking about a guy that listens to music while driving at the limit, complaining that the steering wheel is "flying" all about. That seemed like a dangerous combination to me lol

FWIW, I've found HPDE Instructors to be uncomfortable with a lot of things too. Engaging kerbs and rumbles immediately comes to mind.. I think it might be a byproduct of "experience" that breeds instructors, more than anything else. You hang around long enough, go to enough events, sooner or later you'll get approached about instructing. Instructing doesn't make you Michael Schumacher, nor does being Michael Schumacher mean you should instruct. Instructors are almost like gate keepers for people that want to begin the journey of driving. So, I see where you're coming from.
Yeah - The "would you be interested in instructing" convo is hilarious and scary. Knowing how to explain what your doing, be aware of what someone else is doing, or how to improve upon it with digestible instruction is so much harder than simply running fast laps. And to your point it's incredibly impacting.

That said, I love coaching brand new novices. I find it super fun and rewarding to watch them go around a track for the first times.

Under no circumstances will I ride shotgun or
instruct a random intermediate / advanced HPDE driver. I value my life over free track time.

Regarding audio cues, I can't hear shit over my straight piped s65. Generally the cars around me can't either.
      01-11-2022, 09:51 AM   #773
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Yeah - The "would you be interested in instructing" convo is hilarious and scary. Knowing how to explain what your doing, be aware of what someone else is doing, or how to improve upon it with digestible instruction is so much harder than simply running fast laps. And to your point it's incredibly impacting.

That said, I love coaching brand new novices. I find it super fun and rewarding to watch them go around a track for the first times.

instruct a random intermediate / advanced HPDE driver. I value my life over free track time.

Regarding audio cues, I can't hear shit over my straight piped s65. Generally the cars around me can't either.
Exactly the same here - love getting new people out on the track. Always have an open invitation here that anyone can join us when we go to our local track. Its a great environment for beginners - little traffic during the week and good track to learn on. Love seeing that same stupid big grin on their faces after they get off the track that I had the first time too. I'll help out in the passenger seat if asked but my stomach is not a very good passenger... side note I can manage to get my stomach upset during race warm up lap procedures . It's lame but on a long track like COTA by the end of the warm up lap I'm sweating bullets and can't wait for the green flag.

God bless you guys that run the straight piped S65s - you are doing the Lord's work there with that sweet symphony. I have to muffle mine a bit - just a bit too much for me during those long runs. Hoping my new earpieces really make an improvement though & might be joining you dumping the mufflers
Appreciate 1
DRLane3997.50
      01-11-2022, 10:15 AM   #774
blitzyo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 19' M2C

Has anyone experimented with different disc sizes?

Thinking of moving to a 390x36mm ap racing disc next disc swap, instead of the 378x36mm I'm currently running.

The 450PS M2CSR uses 390mm while the 350PS version uses 378mm. Originally I had no idea a 390mm would fit in my 18" wheels, but apparently it does. Is a 12mm increase in disc size worthwhile in terms of cooling? I don't think it will make a massive difference to my brake bias.
I'd have to buy new caliper brackets and hats too.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 10:33 AM   #775
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzyo View Post
Has anyone experimented with different disc sizes?

Thinking of moving to a 390x36mm ap racing disc next disc swap, instead of the 378x36mm I'm currently running.

The 450PS M2CSR uses 390mm while the 350PS version uses 378mm. Originally I had no idea a 390mm would fit in my 18" wheels, but apparently it does. Is a 12mm increase in disc size worthwhile in terms of cooling? I don't think it will make a massive difference to my brake bias.
I'd have to buy new caliper brackets and hats too.
What is the rest of your setup? Are you getting fade?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 11:07 AM   #776
blitzyo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
What is the rest of your setup? Are you getting fade?
CP9660+CP9449.
No fade at all. DS3.12 pads, no brake ducts. Around 18 track day old front discs now and they don't look like theyre about to crack.
Rear is 355x32 disc and still looks new. (Same rears as the M2CSR).
Have had to change front pads once on this setup while rear are still at 50% life.
Usage only on GP circuits with a lot of trail braking.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 02:22 PM   #777
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly the same here - love getting new people out on the track. Always have an open invitation here that anyone can join us when we go to our local track. Its a great environment for beginners - little traffic during the week and good track to learn on. Love seeing that same stupid big grin on their faces after they get off the track that I had the first time too. I'll help out in the passenger seat if asked but my stomach is not a very good passenger... side note I can manage to get my stomach upset during race warm up lap procedures . It's lame but on a long track like COTA by the end of the warm up lap I'm sweating bullets and can't wait for the green flag.

God bless you guys that run the straight piped S65s - you are doing the Lord's work there with that sweet symphony. I have to muffle mine a bit - just a bit too much for me during those long runs. Hoping my new earpieces really make an improvement though & might be joining you dumping the mufflers
I use these earplugs. Moldable silicone. While it says not to insert into the canal, I roll it up and press it inside. Then smash the remaining silicone to cover the whole inner part of my ear. In this config it is probably a 30 decimal reduction, and doesn't interfere with the helmet at all.

When driving to/from the track, I wear AirPods with noise cancel and listen to a podcast. Probably isn't protecting my hearing but I also don't rev out the car (much) on the roads.

Attached Images

01-31-2022, 02:01 PM   #778
blitzyo
Private First Class
Rep

Having trouble setting up my 3 way suspension. Been learning and experimenting with different settings over the past 3 trackdays. I think I have my high and low speed comp down now and moved to adjusting rebound.
My rear inside wheel is bouncing in long (>120kph) corner exits. Would that be too much rebound damping?

I'm using the same clicker values front and rear.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 06:40 PM   #779
bkd705
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

What suspension are you guys running? Been having a hard time deciding, have looked at everything from TCKline to KW CS to MCS/Nitron/etc and not sure what to pick. Looking for like 60/40 track/daily split.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 07:08 PM   #780
ZL9M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 ZL9-'20 M2CS-'68 1600

Does anyone have ideas as to where to find 255-35-19 / 275-35-19 track tires? I've looked for Michelin, Hoosier, Toyo; most of the brands and cannot find a set in that size. Any leads?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 07:57 PM   #781
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL9M2 View Post
Does anyone have ideas as to where to find 255-35-19 / 275-35-19 track tires? I've looked for Michelin, Hoosier, Toyo; most of the brands and cannot find a set in that size. Any leads?
Have you tried Yokohama A052s at Discount Tire or other major retailers?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 08:02 PM   #782
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Track Forum General Chit Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkd705 View Post
What suspension are you guys running? Been having a hard time deciding, have looked at everything from TCKline to KW CS to MCS/Nitron/etc and not sure what to pick. Looking for like 60/40 track/daily split.
Are you doing the installation yourself?

To me, a major decision factor would be having a shop nearby that is competent with installation of the specific brand, and that can help with tuning the setup for your intended purpose.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 08:59 PM   #783
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzyo View Post
Having trouble setting up my 3 way suspension. Been learning and experimenting with different settings over the past 3 trackdays. I think I have my high and low speed comp down now and moved to adjusting rebound.
My rear inside wheel is bouncing in long (>120kph) corner exits. Would that be too much rebound damping?

I'm using the same clicker values front and rear.
Kind of hard to say - have you tried making sizeable adjustments to see what kind of behavior they induce? Would definitely try reducing the rebound first - could be the issue. Also did whoever you bought the suspension from give you any starting settings they recommended?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkd705 View Post
I might be a bit biased... but Nitron
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 10:46 PM   #784
ZL9M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona_550 View Post
Have you tried Yokohama A052s at Discount Tire or other major retailers?
The Yoko is all I can find. But these aren't much different, as far as I can tell, from the Sport Cup 2's I run on the street. I was looking more along the lines of the R7, Proxes RR, NT01, SuperCar 3R, etc..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 01:31 AM   #785
neonbrown
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
The Yoko is all I can find. But these aren't much different, as far as I can tell, from the Sport Cup 2's I run on the street. I was looking more along the lines of the R7, Proxes RR, NT01, SuperCar 3R, etc..
you might want to consider some track wheels. you can go down an inch in diameter but still keep it staggered if you like

i just switched to a 18"x9.5 square set up and had a lot of options, including all of those you named.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 07:04 AM   #786
ZL9M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbrown View Post
you might want to consider some track wheels. you can go down an inch in diameter but still keep it staggered if you like

i just switched to a 18"x9.5 square set up and had a lot of options, including all of those you named.
I'd like to run the wheels on my CS as well, so I need to stick with 19's. Right now all I can find is 255/275 AO52's or 245/265 R888R.

I may have to give in and go to 18's in the end just to have better tire choice. What size tires are you using?
Appreciate 1
neonbrown274.50
      02-01-2022, 09:08 AM   #787
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
I'd like to run the wheels on my CS as well, so I need to stick with 19's. Right now all I can find is 255/275 AO52's or 245/265 R888R.

I may have to give in and go to 18's in the end just to have better tire choice. What size tires are you using?
The A052 is a good tire & would definitely take it over the 888
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 09:29 AM   #788
ZL9M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I can't decide however if the A052 is that much of an improvement over the Cup2's that I run on the car daily. If I get a set of dedicated track wheels/tires and go through the hassle of changing them out for events I'd like to go with the most aggressive tire that makes sense for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 10:17 AM   #789
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the input. I can't decide however if the A052 is that much of an improvement over the Cup2's that I run on the car daily. If I get a set of dedicated track wheels/tires and go through the hassle of changing them out for events I'd like to go with the most aggressive tire that makes sense for me.
Cup2s are expensive. Their target market is the Porsche folks so extra coin to them doesn't matter. Are you currently out driving your tires? Most aggressive tire is good but the path many have led me down is start with a set of pilot sport 4s and when you max those out safely moved to another tire.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 10:52 AM   #790
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
Cup2s are expensive. Their target market is the Porsche folks so extra coin to them doesn't matter. Are you currently out driving your tires? Most aggressive tire is good but the path many have led me down is start with a set of pilot sport 4s and when you max those out safely moved to another tire.
To me Cup2s shine for hard to fit applications. They are a decent tire, can be run on the street, and have lots of different sizes that many other tires do not. Very much not a fan in the wet though (mainly standing water), they are expensive, and there are noticeably faster street tires available. The A052s are faster all around and have decent wet performance as a bonus. They are my street tire of choice on my M2C - the only downside being they do not have a 275/35/18 which is my preferred front. They do very well on the track as well. Maybe just a hair slower than the RE71 was - but not by much at all. I would only go to the cup2s if there was no other option in the sizes you need. Falken 660s also have some 19's available that might work for you - but I think the A052 takes it for the top dual duty tire.

I run 18's on my comp since I have the Essex/AP kits on it. In Yokos I run 265/35/18 front on 10s and 295/35/18 rear on 11s. This is the setup I'll be running in Super Lap Battle at COTA in a couple of weeks.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 01:07 PM   #791
neonbrown
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbrown View Post

I'm running 275 all around.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 03:26 AM   #792
blitzyo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Kind of hard to say - have you tried making sizeable adjustments to see what kind of behavior they induce? Would definitely try reducing the rebound first - could be the issue. Also did whoever you bought the suspension from give you any starting settings they recommended?

I might be a bit biased... but Nitron
Yeah I've tried nitron stock settings and higher rebound damping on track. Set the rebound less than stock now for next time.
What clicker settings do you use on yours?
Appreciate 0