01-04-2016, 04:09 PM   #45
Makman
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BSM M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
It was suggested in the past that two types of M2 have been developed in a parallel fashion.

Quite some time ago, reference was made to BMW toying with the idea of a reworked N20 4-banger (N20 Technical Training) leightweight sports car featuring flared body panels and an agressive aero package.

The N20 idea may be off the radar again since quite some time. But let's not exclude the possibility of a more track-oriented version than the M2 base version (4-banger ?) already being in the works as we speak.

For the record and FWIW:
  • "Although work has commenced on the "Downsized" M, The M2 or the replacement for the most admired 1er M Coupe.
    It is known as the "Downsized" M because BMW M are investigating the concept of a completely reworked N20 based four cylinder in terms of the successor to the 1M offering the same recipe as before but with lower weight but still offering the entry to M ownership with the key of precision rather than outright power."

(http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=23 - July 2012)
  • "BMW M2 Coupe - Successor to the BMW 1 Series M Coupe continues the same formula that made the last car be memorable, no huge competitor in the HP race, four cylinder will bring less weight, which matter most as does more enjoyment and overall feel is considered to be more of a priority than who has the biggest numbers. Already confirmed to be coming by BMW CEO.
    BMW M2 Gran Coupe - Baby Coupe inherits a four door brother and RWD, Direct competitor to the Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG. Scott26 shares that there are now firm plans for an M2 Gran Coupe."

(http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...28&postcount=1 - March 2013)
  • "Drop two cylinders of the Autoexpress article [i.e. 4-cyl. instead of 6-cyl.].
    BMW want the fastest four cylinder car in its segment. They also want the M2 to be the most progressive and dynamic car in its segment as well as the lightest performance car. They want a car that has a soul, unlike the Mercedes-Benz AMG A45/CLA 45 which are soulless to drive."
    (http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...77&postcount=3 - January 2014)
  • "It looks as if they are investigating a more hardcore M2 having seen one at a test track, mixing aerodynamics of the Vision GT and the Racing but identifiable as the M2 but far more muscular and brutal than the standard M2. It could be for racing purpose showcase but I like to think of it as a potential rival to the Porsche Cayman GT4 and the first modern BMW "Batmobile" since the E9."
    (http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=45 - February 2015)
What I meant was, the base M2 is not likely to get its engine replaced because of 1 and 2. But if BMW will do another type of M2(M2 CSL, M2 GTS etc.) IDK. If they decied to drop a CSL/GTS Im ready to order one....LEL..
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2016, 10:57 AM   #46
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makman View Post
What I meant was, the base M2 is not likely to get its engine replaced because of 1 and 2. But if BMW will do another type of M2(M2 CSL, M2 GTS etc.) IDK. If they decied to drop a CSL/GTS Im ready to order one....LEL..
If the 2 series gets a new engine, m2 will not be far behind, we're talking a 30-40 hp tune, not a huge engineering feet over the stock n55. B series is already in production so I can't see the n55 sticking around for three more years.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2016, 11:57 AM   #47
Makman
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BSM M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana
Quote:
If the 2 series gets a new engine, m2 will not be far behind, we're talking a 30-40 hp tune, not a huge engineering feet over the stock n55. B series is already in production so I can't see the n55 sticking around for three more years.
The M2 doesnt have a regular N55, thats the problem. Its N55 have been modified with parts from the M3/M4 engine. And im sure its not just a "plug in and play". It requiers testing etc. And If you think BMW will spend more money and time on a alrdy pretty budget M-car then the LCI will come with new mirrors aswell

they might ECU tune or modify(minor) the N55 futher rather than replacing it.

this is my guess
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 03:39 PM   #48
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die ///M Rakete
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Already in line at my dealer for M2 CSL.
Yeah ?
#2 @ Autobahn actually, but perhaps should talk to someone at yours.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 04:09 PM   #49
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Why would BMW produce an M2 CSL,when they have already shortchanged a bunch of stuff on the M2.They are going to keep protecting the more profitable sales of the M3 and M4.It isn't going to happen IMO.
BMW new product strategy for M cars is as follows:

Base-> Competiton pckg-> GTS-> CSL

according to Scott26 (The insider guy)
      01-05-2016, 04:45 PM   #50
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post

I appreciate the info he posts on here but he has been wrong about a bunch of stuff.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 04:55 PM   #51
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

This has been my least favorite thread makes me think about doubting my #1 allocation
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2016, 11:34 PM   #52
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket
Quote:

I appreciate the info he posts on here but he has been wrong about a bunch of stuff.
And he's been right about a lot of stuff . So...
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2016, 06:26 AM   #53
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:

Even a non-insider can make predictions about BMW and be right. It's not that difficult and BMW are fairly predictable.

Scott is a massive attention seeker and he likes to give the impression that he knows a lot more than he actually does. Believe him at your peril.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 06:27 AM   #54
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat
Quote:

Even a non-insider can make predictions about BMW and be right. It's not that difficult and BMW are fairly predictable.

Scott likes to give the impression that he knows a lot more than he actually does. Believe him at your peril.
Thanks for the Public service announcement.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 06:29 AM   #55
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Oh reel your neck in sunshine. You have an opinion, and I have one. Deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 06:33 AM   #56
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat
Quote:

Oh reel your neck in sunshine. You have an opinion, and I have one. Deal with it.
I did
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 06:45 AM   #57
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post

Scott is a massive attention seeker and he likes to give the impression that he knows a lot more than he actually does. Believe him at your peril.
Lol. Do you really believe a global corporate like BMW would allow an employee to randomly post inside information to the world? Have you ever worked for a large corporate? Especially a German one? Everything Scott post is tightly controlled or at the very least based on very tight guidelines.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 07:08 AM   #58
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Lol. Do you really believe a global corporate like BMW would allow an employee to randomly post inside information to the world?
No I don't, which is exactly the point I'm making. I am not saying Scott should post more accurate information; I'm saying Scott should just stop what he's doing and go away.

Scott likes everyone to believe (and he said so many years ago in fact), that being active on forums is all part of the "creative marketing", when in fact I think he's just a very enthusiastic employee who likes to give the impression he's more important than he is.

The idea that BMW would include an employee posting on forums as part of their marketing programme is laughable, yet Scott has said that is the case. What utter rubbish! He's just doing it in his spare time because he likes the attention he gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Have you ever worked for a large corporate? Especially a German one? Everything Scott post is tightly controlled or at the very least based on very tight guidelines.
Again, you're missing my point. I'm not criticising for not posting enough info. I'm criticising him for posting at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 12:45 PM   #59
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
The M2 doesnt have a regular N55, thats the problem. Its N55 have been modified with parts from the M3/M4 engine. And im sure its not just a "plug in and play". It requiers testing etc. And If you think BMW will spend more money and time on a alrdy pretty budget M-car then the LCI will come with new mirrors aswell

they might ECU tune or modify(minor) the N55 futher rather than replacing it.

this is my guess
The 2016 3 series got a new engine, the M3 is basically unchanged. I don't think they will change the M2 engine one or two years after the current engine was just reworked. Just a guess.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 02:16 PM   #60
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
I have decided to wait a bit on ordering an M2... hopefully the LCI will include the option for a Competition Package. (I would love to see a GTS and/or CSL model for sale in the US, but I am concerned that even if this does come to fruition, it will be cost-prohibitive.) I would love to see an LCI/Comp pkg include:
  • Manual seat option for US (if it's not already available)
  • CF roof and/or any other weight-saving measures
  • slight bump in engine performance
  • option to spec M perf coil overs from the factory
  • HU display
  • LED lights
  • more body colors
  • and any other minor power train/suspension tweaks that may merit adjustment after thorough testing of the 1st gen models
(pretty much in that order, for me)
      01-06-2016, 03:47 PM   #61
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
I have decided to wait a bit on ordering an M2... hopefully the LCI will include the option for a Competition Package. (I would love to see a GTS and/or CSL model for sale in the US, but I am concerned that even if this does come to fruition, it will be cost-prohibitive.) I would love to see an LCI/Comp pkg include:
  • HU display
  • LED lights
  • more body colors
  • and any other minor power train/suspension tweaks that may merit adjustment after thorough testing of the 1st gen models
Someone was telling me that HUD is not possible with how the 2 series is built, the next best thing is the steering wheel with lights which I will be buying if I decide to get an M2
      01-06-2016, 04:05 PM   #62
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
  • HU display
  • LED lights
  • more body colors
Do you have an allocation spot already? I've gotten nervous in getting mine right out of the gate and missing out.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 04:13 PM   #63
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3488 View Post
Do you have an allocation spot already? I've gotten nervous in getting mine right out of the gate and missing out.
Yes, I do... but when it comes up, I'll just tell the CA to give it to the next person on the list until I'm ready.
      01-06-2016, 04:17 PM   #64
cole3488
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I do... but when it comes up, I'll just tell the CA to give it to the next person on the list until I'm ready.
I've got a #1. Will ur ca let you keep deferring until ur 1st for the LCI ? And if you don't mind me asking where are u getting it at?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 04:17 PM   #65
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Someone was telling me that HUD is not possible with how the 2 series is built, the next best thing is the steering wheel with lights which I will be buying if I decide to get an M2
That may be, particularly with the current gen of HUD... but I seem to remember reading somewhere that BMW was planning to integrate a newer (simpler/smaller) version that's compatible with 2 series cars at some point.

At any rate, I plan on getting this <link> for my 335 in the mean time, which I can certainly use in the M2 down the road.
      01-06-2016, 04:20 PM   #66
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cole3488 View Post
I've got a #1. Will ur ca let you keep deferring until ur 1st for the LCI ? And if you don't mind me asking where are u getting it at?
I have done this in the past, so I presume they would have no issue with this. I am working with Open Road/Roxbury BMW in NJ.