GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 has fixed dampers and no adjustable throttle/gear/steering?

10-19-2015, 01:47 AM   #45
Gryzor
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Mk7 VW Golf GTI

Absolutely right, adaptive does not immediately translate to comfort, although in my Golf GTI there is a noticeable difference in ride quality in any mode compared to a stock GTI with passive dampers. Plus, we don't really know what the various driver settings are going to be. Indeed, the material refers to improved handling, not comfort.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 03:20 AM   #46
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryzor View Post
Absolutely right, adaptive does not immediately translate to comfort, although in my Golf GTI there is a noticeable difference in ride quality in any mode compared to a stock GTI with passive dampers. Plus, we don't really know what the various driver settings are going to be. Indeed, the material refers to improved handling, not comfort.
Speaking of Golf: mine is 7 R, but it seems VW is using the greatest difference between dumping in Comfort vs. Race (VW's counterpart of BMW's Sport) modes. I must tell you that this is what really enables this car to be used comfortably as "just a Golf" DD (this is how my wife uses it). As for myself, of course I usually go Race - but on bad roads, it's a real blessing to know I can always soften the dumpers so much that my spine or the car's suspension will not suffer too much from the road's bumps and holes...

Back to my M235i: similar situation, although the suspension softening in Comfort mode is much less pronounced than in the R. Therefore, I know some stretches of roads near where I live I would never enter in Sport mode; it's best for those very fast twisties with good to perfect surface - it's a pure pleasure to stiffen entire chassis (including steering) when driving on them...

I got so much used to switching between the 2 cars the presence of the Comfort/Sport creates in both my fast little cars, that frankly the lack of soft mode on the M2 could be a deal breaker for em if I ever contemplated buying one. I said 'could' because - not having test-driven one of course - I think it's possible the single-setting suspension of the M2 is a really great compromise and one doesn't really need to soften it - however a jack of all trades is usually some sort of a compromise. And since the M2 is by definition a sports car, I'm afraid it could prove to be just too harsh as 61 y.o. a person's DD...
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 03:50 AM   #47
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad View Post
This really is disappointing, and even more strange as the M235i exists and occupies that "almost M" market niche... Ow well - even less jealous I will never have the M2, and will "have to" enjoy my "almost M" M235i
A comfort mode suspension is for my wife and her 5 series. My sports car needs to have one setting..stiff as shit.
Nice to have a choice. There are roads that completely suck.

I have faith the CSL will have it. Then i can dial in... stiff as shit.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2015, 04:22 AM   #48
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

i put KW DDC into my 1M and have never looked back, bit disappointed there are not adjustable dampers on this car when its fairly common fair
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 04:34 AM   #49
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryzor
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Any chance you're allowed to scan those and post here?
I don't have a scanner but I can try photographing them tomorrow. He had a flick through before handing them over and said that there's nothing contentious in there. I'll probably create a new thread for them though or add to an existing general thread that's more relevant.
Start a new thread and please post these pics or scans as soon as you can
      10-20-2015, 06:02 AM   #50
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

So from the M-power world thread:
http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...1185586&page=2

I got, and assume difference between Comfort/Sport:
Spot Mode
Adjustable Steering 'M Servotronic steering with two settings'
Adjustable exhaust 'the optimised exhaust with special flap system'
Adjustable gear change insensitivity 'Depending on the driving mode activated, it enables either extremely fast gear changes with no interruption in the flow of power or ultra-smooth shifts'

Didn't see anything about throttle, but assume thats in here...

Sport+
MDM mode 'M Dynamic Mode (MDM) is activated'

No Adaptive suspension is mentioned, just 'The sportily attuned suspension' so assume it is passive. which for me is the only negative ..
      10-21-2015, 08:31 AM   #51
trebled
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i & BMW M2 DCT

switchable electronic adaptive dampers

Quote:
I don't have a scanner but I can try photographing them tomorrow. He had a flick through before handing them over and said that there's nothing contentious in there. I'll probably create a new thread for them though or add to an existing general thread that's more relevant.

I have seen the same documentation and it says that they are standard. Which suits me fine as I trundle around in ECO mode 99% of the time in my M135i and only use Sport 1% of the time. Means I can use my M2 as a daily car and with load through seats I can also use it to go to (push) bike races.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 08:44 AM   #52
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
No, No M button or buttons
I'm just curious if it has it. I do not care for it. In my e90 M3 the M button made the throttle super super sensitive and I hardly used it at all.
Same for the 1M.

I imagine that these types of settings are likely still in the vehicle but more than likely change along with the sport modes.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 08:47 AM   #53
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by as7920
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
How is this disappointing? Please enlighten me.
My 1M was a daily and in the 30k miles I really would have liked EDC.

Mx35i has addressed that and its a shame the M2 does not have it. For me, if I had M2 I would spec EDC if available.

Yet again its a missed opportunity with the M2, a deliberate ploy by BMW not to get too close to M3/M4 territory and reduce costs.

At the end of the day, M cars are BOTH road and track cars or so they keep saying.
LOL a deliberate PLOY.. As if there is some conspiracy theory. How do you make the M2 cheaper than the M4 if you put every single mod from the M4 on the M2 and you make 10x less of them ?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 08:51 AM   #54
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC
After considering it for a while, I had decided on passive suspension for the M2 anyway. Less complexity, and less fuss if (when) I upgrade to a set of Motion Control coil overs... And coil overs don't necessarily have to be any stiffer than OEM M suspension - it's all on how you set them up.

Incidentally, for the folks who love "stiff as shit" suspension, some compliance will actually increase mechanical grip on nearly all surfaces (with the exception of some of the smoothest of smooth tracks out there, with R comp tires).
As for the 1M, I remember reading somewhere that its Nurburgring lap times could have been faster if the suspension was a little less stiff.
Excellent post.

Agree that coilovers don't always feel " stiff as shit " even when they are. I've driven the former Vorshlag e30 on AST triple adjustables with Outboard reservoirs and the damn think rode nicer than a Cadillac and kicked arse on autocross and track.

Mmmmmmm motion control... Perhaps one day
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2015, 09:38 AM   #55
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Same for the 1M.

I imagine that these types of settings are likely still in the vehicle but more than likely change along with the sport modes.
Agreed I think this will be the case for the M2 since there is no M button on the steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 03:36 PM   #56
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebled View Post
I have seen the same documentation and it says that they are standard. Which suits me fine as I trundle around in ECO mode 99% of the time in my M135i and only use Sport 1% of the time. Means I can use my M2 as a daily car and with load through seats I can also use it to go to (push) bike races.
What documentation, and can you get a copy of it?
      10-21-2015, 06:17 PM   #57
mofomat
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330e Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebled View Post
The M2 does NOT have adjustable dampers. It has a fixed set up. The documentation, which I have also seen, is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 06:31 PM   #58
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP
No, No M button or buttons
Who cares. The suspension is passive which is better for performance and just turn DSC OFF when you want to really play.

MDM is still traction assist.
      10-21-2015, 07:13 PM   #59
Gryzor
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofomat View Post
The M2 does NOT have adjustable dampers. It has a fixed set up. The documentation, which I have also seen, is wrong.
Based on what evidence? Happy to be proven wrong, but why should I believe what you say vs what the official launch guide says?

BTW, sorry for not getting chance to post pictures guys, I'm away from home at the moment on business but if still interested (given it's wrong anyway...) I can do so over the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 07:20 PM   #60
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Based on what evidence? Happy to be proven wrong, but why should I believe what you say vs what the official launch guide says?

BTW, sorry for not getting chance to post pictures guys, I'm away from home at the moment on business but if still interested (given it's wrong anyway...) I can do so over the weekend.
Why don't you just get someone to scan it and e mail to you,then you can post it?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 07:36 PM   #61
Gryzor
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Why don't you just get someone to scan it and e mail to you,then you can post it?
Get who to scan it, and using what? I don't have a scanner and there's nobody home to do it. Besides, if people are just going to dismiss it as wrong anyway, I don't see what difference it makes!

When I'm home at the weekend I'll sort something out then.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 07:56 PM   #62
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Get who to scan it, and using what? I don't have a scanner and there's nobody home to do it. Besides, if people are just going to dismiss it as wrong anyway, I don't see what difference it makes!

When I'm home at the weekend I'll sort something out then.
I didn't say I didn't believe you but you don't need a scanner.Anyone with an iPhone can just use the Tiny Scan App and you can scan it with an iPhone.If there is no one home then OK,just post it when you get back.

Last edited by SW19; 10-21-2015 at 09:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 09:37 AM   #63
Spook410
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Infiniti EX35

Or.. we will abate our rabid need for details and appreciate anything you can share with us once you get off of travel Gryzor.

I hope it does have adjustable dampers though my E36 and 135 lacked them and I never really missed the feature.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 12:33 PM   #64
Gryzor
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
I didn't say I didn't believe you but you don't need a scanner.Anyone with an iPhone can just use the Tiny Scan App and you can scan it with an iPhone.If there is no one home then OK,just post it when you get back.
Oh I know you didn't mate, that wasn't aimed at you - just that mofomat seems to think he knows it does not have it despite having seen the same documentation.

I'll be using my iPhone myself to just photograph the pages, but yeah there's nobody home to do it so will have to wait for me to get back. It won't change the facts at the end of the day, but at least it can spark some debate based on something tangible.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2015, 12:40 PM   #65
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Oh I know you didn't mate, that wasn't aimed at you - just that mofomat seems to think he knows it does not have it despite having seen the same documentation.

I'll be using my iPhone myself to just photograph the pages, but yeah there's nobody home to do it so will have to wait for me to get back. It won't change the facts at the end of the day, but at least it can spark some debate based on something tangible.
Yeah, please post when you are back at the weekend mate. Even a pic from your iPhone will be fine!
      10-22-2015, 01:29 PM   #66
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

I'm still confused how you are supposed to change the DCT and EDC settings if there are not stand alone buttons for it like there has always been? Through iDrive? But then you don't have an M-button to store it anyway, so how does that work?
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0