BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Track Pads on Large M2C brakes

02-14-2023, 05:19 AM   #45
Ratcher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Competiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
According to BMW docs, you are not supposed to remove the top bolt, at all. It’s not designed to be removed. That said, I accidentally did (before I read the instructions - RTFM!). I just got a fresh bolt, made very sure it was aligned correctly and applied some loctitite and torqued it as per Porsche/Brembo specs (they list the bolt info, BMW don’t) and haven’t touched it since.

From now on, I only touch the backside bolt. And yes, it’s ‘supposed’ to be single use. I tend to approach it as ‘single event’. So, remove bolt, change to track pads, re torque ‘old’ bolt, take to track, remove ‘old’ bolt second time, change back to street pads, apply new bolt. That’s just my view. Others may see that as too cautious or not cautious enough.
This comment could come from me

Have done a BUNCH of trackdays since and never ever had the slightest issue.
Appreciate 1
NathObeaN1309.00
      02-14-2023, 06:34 AM   #46
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I wonder how many people take their cars to a shop who does the pads change wrong and drive around like that for years.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 07:55 AM   #47
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
That's not a bad plan. Do you have a link to the pads? I couldn't find them, but maybe because I'm using my phone to look for them.
I meant for the caliper bolts. I don't think they stock Ferodo pads other than the 2500 (that's what I'm running). Pricing on those 1.11's is soooo good that it does make me wonder (is there tax/duty added?).
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 08:24 AM   #48
Ratcher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Competiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
I wonder how many people take their cars to a shop who does the pads change wrong and drive around like that for years.
I personally know a great shop that always changes the pads on these cars by removing the bolts you aren't meant to use. And also there no problems.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 09:21 AM   #49
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I meant for the caliper bolts. I don't think they stock Ferodo pads other than the 2500 (that's what I'm running). Pricing on those 1.11's is soooo good that it does make me wonder (is there tax/duty added?).
I have bought a bunch of stuff from the UK (and unless it has changed, I doubt it) if you stay under $800 then you won't have to pay any customs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratcher View Post
I personally know a great shop that always changes the pads on these cars by removing the bolts you aren't meant to use. And also there no problems.
I am not surprised, they look at the brake kit and do the "obvious" thing. I can't see mechanics that have never changed pads on these going to go read the manual when it looks pretty clear on what to do.

I am going to do a pad change soon and will buy bolts at FCP euro and then just keep returning them, thats a good idea.

And yeah FCP euro does not have any track pads, they only carry 2500
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 10:21 AM   #50
DrChase
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

If running stock suspension and tires no more aggressive than 200TW, then DS1.11 in front and DS2500 in the rear (even on a square tire setup) is a sweet spot. If your setup is more optimized for mechanical and tire grip, then you might consider DSUNO or DS3.12 in front and DS1.11 or DS2500 in the rear. It's surprising how difficult it is to underbrake the rear. Stock pads in the rear can be run with an aggressive front pad without much issue, especially with streetable tires and stock suspension.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 03:53 PM   #51
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
According to BMW docs, you are not supposed to remove the top bolt, at all. It’s not designed to be removed. That said, I accidentally did (before I read the instructions - RTFM!). I just got a fresh bolt, made very sure it was aligned correctly and applied some loctitite and torqued it as per Porsche/Brembo specs (they list the bolt info, BMW don’t) and haven’t touched it since.

From now on, I only touch the backside bolt. And yes, it’s ‘supposed’ to be single use. I tend to approach it as ‘single event’. So, remove bolt, change to track pads, re torque ‘old’ bolt, take to track, remove ‘old’ bolt second time, change back to street pads, apply new bolt. That’s just my view. Others may see that as too cautious or not cautious enough.
How do you replace the front pads on the 2NH brake calipers without removing the bolts that allow you to take the caliper off the brake disc?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 04:56 PM   #52
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
How do you replace the front pads on the 2NH brake calipers without removing the bolts that allow you to take the caliper off the brake disc?
even the incorrect way todo it you still have to remove the caliper off.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 06:01 PM   #53
keylime503
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
even the incorrect way todo it you still have to remove the caliper off.
When I changed my front pads on the M2C I don't remember seeing more than one set of bolts that could be removed (maybe I'm just not remembering it). There were two bolts that screwed the caliper on which faced towards the inside of the wheel well. Were those the "right" bolts or the "wrong" bolts?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 06:56 PM   #54
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
When I changed my front pads on the M2C I don't remember seeing more than one set of bolts that could be removed (maybe I'm just not remembering it). There were two bolts that screwed the caliper on which faced towards the inside of the wheel well. Were those the "right" bolts or the "wrong" bolts?
Technically those are the wrong bolts. I say technically because there is BMW literature that says to never remove these, but many use them with no issues. There are bolts at the back of the caliper that connect the caliper bracket to the hub. Supposed to use those.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 07:39 PM   #55
keylime503
Major
Rep

Quote:
Technically those are the wrong bolts. I say technically because there is BMW literature that says to never remove these, but many use them with no issues. There are bolts at the back of the caliper that connect the caliper bracket to the hub. Supposed to use those.
When you say "back" of the caliper do you mean the side that faces towards the inside of the car? Because that's the side I'm talking about.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 07:42 PM   #56
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
When you say "back" of the caliper do you mean the side that faces towards the inside of the car? Because that's the side I'm talking about.
Yes, I think we are talking about the same side. Most seem to remove the top two bolts.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 07:51 PM   #57
keylime503
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I think we are talking about the same side. Most seem to remove the top two bolts.
Ah, ok. I didn't even see two bolts on the top. Something to look for next time!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 01:12 AM   #58
DrChase
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Demon Tweeks has awesome pricing on Ferodos. I bought DS2500 and DS1.11 for my M2C and my Evora. It’s a UK shop. They sell out quick, but are constantly getting new inventory, so it’s not much of a wait, especially considering they’re international and at least a hundred bucks cheaper than everywhere else.
Appreciate 2
MooMooM21845.00
Maynard3861.50
      02-16-2023, 07:05 AM   #59
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This person has pictures that show how they should be removed. If you take the caliper off that silver bracket you are doing it incorrectly.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1951738
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2023, 12:17 PM   #60
keylime503
Major
Rep

Quote:
This person has pictures that show how they should be removed. If you take the caliper off that silver bracket you are doing it incorrectly.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1951738
I don't even see how you would remove the caliper from the silver bracket so I guess I'm good
Appreciate 1
Maynard3861.50
      02-16-2023, 03:49 PM   #61
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

If you scroll down thru those pics to the side views, you can see these 2 black Allen heads that are the connections (behind the pad with "made in italy"). When it is on the car, it looks much more intuitive to remove those.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2023, 03:03 PM   #62
keylime503
Major
Rep

Quote:
If you scroll down thru those pics to the side views, you can see these 2 black Allen heads that are the connections (behind the pad with "made in italy"). When it is on the car, it looks much more intuitive to remove those.
Thanks, this helped a lot. I never even noticed those two black allen heads.
Appreciate 0