BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > G87 M2 Spy shots...

03-03-2021, 01:51 PM   #45
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

M/t
Executive pack
Carbon buckets(please god)
Hopefully cool choices of interior/exterior.

I'll be a happy man
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 01:57 PM   #46
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
BMW will play the marketing game they always do. They will offer the G87 base car with something like 420hp just so buyers can feel it has more hp than the outgoing F87. They will then push buyers up market with options not offered on the base model and offer slightly more power (440hp?) with a Competition G87.
^Gotta love the BMW marketing machine. They are masters.

Don't forget the other punch in the face. The DME on all of these new cars is locked down hard!
Tag18457.50
Kleinacus671.00
      03-03-2021, 02:20 PM   #47
Puppetz
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Tranceparent. View Post
That's a fair point. I'm viewing the M2C ownership from a longer term perspective as well. Full body PPF to keep it looking pretty, 5k oil changes, parked indoors, but driven regularly vs. garage queen status. Hopefully it'll be one of those clean high-mileage examples I'll proudly drive well into the future.
My thoughts, and exactly what I plan on doing. If the new model is outstanding, it will be in production for the next several years, and I can grab one at the end of the run. I will be out the PPF, but that will be the cost of my optionality. One of the draws of the M2C for me is its relative simplicity and value. Not over-bearing on tech, but a solid performer. Nice recipe for a 'keeper'.
Appreciate 4
BigKutta3910.50
Poochie9107.50
dkr69.50
      03-04-2021, 03:46 AM   #48
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
As long as the next M2 has 3 pedals, I'm getting one.. That's my minimum criteria, so I'm flexible on its looks, for better or worst..

Keeping an open mind and spending 7 days with an automatic 2021 330i loaner car reminded me how mundane paddling shifting can be, after the novelty of speed wears off.. To each is own and no judgment towards those that prefer the non-manual tranny but if you can operate a stick, why would you not opt for the manual. 🤷🏻

A feature I hope the next M2 does implement is Adaptive Suspension with some 18 inch wheel capable calipers, as roads around my way are war-torn and also, maybe a more refine, Telsa-like auto collision mitigation system; anything that would save my bodywork or life, so I can live another day to kick up more chaos, I endorse.
If I get a G87 it will be a manual. I dont consider the F87s DCT to be the same experience as a 330i's auto tranny, and I actually got the DCT to experience it before BMW got rid of it. Nor is the ZF8 in an M5 the same or even close to a DCT.

I couldn't care for adaptive, I love the stiff suspension and can deal with bad roads (I feel for you NYers though...that's a whole other level of bad). My wish is actually for BMW to keep the G87 as simple as the F87...solid car with just enough features in there, and 3-4 options like we have today. Its the simplicity of the F87 that I love and what makes this the best value car out there, and hope BMW keeps it that way.
I totally agree that there are nuances to the M2's DCT over the auto in the ZF8 a standard BMW but speaking in general sense, they are adjacent to each other in MO.

One is merely modulating buttons to alternate the gears, over the art of controlling a the vehicle, by way of balancing a gas, clutch pedal and shifter. There really is no substitute for one or the other. You could learn to live with either transmission but if your heart's not in it, you'll secretly be disappointed, since the alternative option is readily available.

There are so many cars out there that tickle my fancy but the one common denominator that keeps me personally tethered to the BMW family is the option for a manual transmission, - that's only until I could afford to swing for a 911 Porsche.

However, I'm not trolling anyone here, so I'm being sincere when I say that I have absolutely no judgement towards anyone that prefers the DCT for their own personal reasons over the manual.
Appreciate 2
      03-04-2021, 04:01 AM   #49
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppetz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Tranceparent. View Post
That's a fair point. I'm viewing the M2C ownership from a longer term perspective as well. Full body PPF to keep it looking pretty, 5k oil changes, parked indoors, but driven regularly vs. garage queen status. Hopefully it'll be one of those clean high-mileage examples I'll proudly drive well into the future.
My thoughts, and exactly what I plan on doing. If the new model is outstanding, it will be in production for the next several years, and I can grab one at the end of the run. I will be out the PPF, but that will be the cost of my optionality. One of the draws of the M2C for me is its relative simplicity and value. Not over-bearing on tech, but a solid performer. Nice recipe for a 'keeper'.
Good for you

Keep that manual tranny take rate going.. #AnotherOne
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 04:07 AM   #50
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
BMW will play the marketing game they always do. They will offer the G87 base car with something like 420hp just so buyers can feel it has more hp than the outgoing F87. They will then push buyers up market with options not offered on the base model and offer slightly more power (440hp?) with a Competition G87.
I agree, they will F this one up. The price range will be $60k base to $90k fully loaded with BS options and packages. BMW has had an opportunity to test the appetite for a wide price range thanks to the M2, M2C, and M2CS, and they will take full advantage with the G87. I'm praying not, but if i was a marketing genius over there, I would
That's exactly what the are going to do with the next gen M2 model, now that they see its potential for sales.

They're going to milk it for all that Its worth, until that cow drops dead..

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 08:44 AM   #51
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I totally agree that there are nuances to the M2's DCT over the auto in the ZF8 a standard BMW but speaking in general sense, they are adjacent to each other in MO.

One is merely modulating buttons to alternate the gears, over the art of controlling a the vehicle, by way of balancing a gas, clutch pedal and shifter. There really is no substitute for one or the other. You could learn to live with either transmission but if your heart's not in it, you'll secretly be disappointed, since the alternative option is readily available.

There are so many cars out there that tickle my fancy but the one common denominator that keeps me personally tethered to the BMW family is the option for a manual transmission, - that's only until I could afford to swing for a 911 Porsche.

However, I'm not trolling anyone here, so I'm being sincere when I say that I have absolutely no judgement towards anyone that prefers the DCT for their own personal reasons over the manual.
I get that, but having owned a DCT for over a year now, I can tell you that I treat this car like a manual over a auto, sans the clutch. I shift 100% of the time, which I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do with a ZF8 (at least based on my experience with them). So on that alone I will buy a MT G87 if that's the next car I buy
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 10:34 AM   #52
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I agree that the ZF8 doesn't shift as positively as a DCT. In auto mode it is a genius slush bucket transmission. In manual mode it just can't respond in a crisp way the way a DCT can.

I have tried to drive a DCT like a manual but I think I'd have to train with it for awhile. My stick/clutch/throttle muscle memory is very difficult to shake. Paddle shifters to me are like a video game. On the track I can understand the need for them but for fun on the street, give me a shifter and a clutch.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 11:05 AM   #53
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
I get that, but having owned a DCT for over a year now, I can tell you that I treat this car like a manual over a auto, sans the clutch. I shift 100% of the time, which I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do with a ZF8 (at least based on my experience with them). So on that alone I will buy a MT G87 if that's the next car I buy
I think everyone likes to talk about how great the ZF8 is but it's still a torque converter auto. I watched a youtube Supra (4-banger) review recently where the tester was having trouble downshifting to second gear. The car kept downshifting then immediately upshifting into 3rd. Matt Farah also mentioned overheating the ZF8 in the supra. And while everyone likes to talk about the lightning quick upshifts virtually every torque converter auto is capable of these days, super responsive and quick downshifts are just as important. At the end of the day, I just don't think a torque converter will ever be ideal for a car that's trying to max out its fun factor/capabilities on a race track or twisty back road.

I will always choose the manual option if its there, just due to my personal preference, but part of me is still pretty sad to see the DCT disappear from BMW's lineup. It's a very cool transmission in its own right.

Last edited by Moflow; 03-11-2021 at 10:07 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-04-2021, 01:19 PM   #54
kart driver
Captain
Rep
Drives: M & GT

If the next M2 has no DCT, and it is very likely to happen, I am done with BMW M cars after being a regular customer for M cars for many years.
I am sure BMW took many new customers on board, but the way BMW have been developing their M cars recently, there is nothing which is left for me and thus I am personally leaving completely to Porsche with respect to sports cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 03:01 PM   #55
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post
If the next M2 has no DCT, and it is very likely to happen, I am done with BMW M cars after being a regular customer for M cars for many years.
I am sure BMW took many new customers on board, but the way BMW have been developing their M cars recently, there is nothing which is left for me and thus I am personally leaving completely to Porsche with respect to sports cars.
I think it's pretty certain that BMW has moved on from DCT
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      03-07-2021, 07:43 AM   #56
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBbluem2 View Post
M/t
Executive pack
Carbon buckets(please god)
Hopefully cool choices of interior/exterior.

I'll be a happy man
Solid spec, I'd even pass on the exec pack. I'd be completely OK with current color combos from the G80/2, carbon buckets (I'd be pleasantly surprised), and just heated steering wheel. Then 6MT of course
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2021, 12:47 PM   #57
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Was just at the dealership and finally laid eyes on the new M4. The grille was ugly to me even in person. I was surprised at how underwhelming the entire car was to me. I don't know why, maybe because it lacks sharp character lines, Hofmeister kink, but it just seemed very watered down and unimpressive. I'm not just talking about the grille, the entire car wasn't doing it for me. It was in all black (but it was clean) so that may have attributed to it.

I was also shocked to see how huge the wheel gaps were, the front gap was enormous for an M car. It wasn't on any shipping blocks either. Didn't get to look at the interior and if I'm being honest was so let down by it's looks I didn't even care.

I pray they don't carry these design elements over to the G87.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 12:52 PM   #58
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Is that the new 7-series?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 12:55 PM   #59
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Was just at the dealership and finally laid eyes on the new M4. The grille was ugly to me even in person. I was surprised at how underwhelming the entire car was to me. I don't know why, maybe because it lacks sharp character lines, Hofmeister kink, but it just seemed very watered down and unimpressive. I'm not just talking about the grille, the entire car wasn't doing it for me. It was in all black (but it was clean) so that may have attributed to it.

I was also shocked to see how huge the wheel gaps were, the front gap was enormous for an M car. It wasn't on any shipping blocks either. Didn't get to look at the interior and if I'm being honest was so let down by it's looks I didn't even care.

There's an M4 at the dealer where my m performance suspension is being installed. Picking it up today and going to see this thing in person. I keep seeing people say "it's better in person" but I expect I won't be moved to "accept" it.

Also checking out the M2 CS they have.

I too am hoping G87 is spared that grille. I think people are being too hopeful with the photos of the car with the camo. That camo can certainly be hiding that grille.
      03-09-2021, 01:07 PM   #60
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
There's an M4 at the dealer where my m performance suspension is being installed. Picking it up today and going to see this thing in person. I keep seeing people say "it's better in person" but I expect I won't be moved to "accept" it.

Also checking out the M2 CS they have.

I too am hoping G87 is spared that grille. I think people are being too hopeful with the photos of the car with the camo. That camo can certainly be hiding that grille.
It was better in person, but it's so bad that I still hate it if that makes sense. I feel like people are trying hard to like it. When something is designed right you don't need to think about it, try to like it, have a change of heart. It either clicks or doesn't IMO. When I look at an M2c I love almost everything about it. That's a properly designed car, and I'm not saying that because I'm biased.
Appreciate 3
JustinHEMI7453.00
BigKutta3910.50
Moflow2484.50
      03-09-2021, 01:15 PM   #61
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
It was better in person, but it's so bad that I still hate it if that makes sense. I feel like people are trying hard to like it. When something is designed right you don't need to think about it, try to like it, have a change of heart. It either clicks or doesn't IMO. When I look at an M2c I love almost everything about it. That's a properly designed car, and I'm not saying that because I'm biased.
Bingo. When I first saw the M2 in photos, it was love at first sight, and I knew I "had" to have one. It was when I created my account here. Finally 4 years after, while I continued to try to convince myself I loved Challengers more, I realized what I was really after and bought my M2C, and I am so much happier. It is easy to know when it's right.

I shouldn't have to go see it in person to "hope it's better."

Last edited by JustinHEMI; 03-09-2021 at 01:28 PM..
Appreciate 2
Tag18457.50
BigKutta3910.50
      03-09-2021, 01:27 PM   #62
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:

Evolve just did a review of M4 on youtube. He covered the aesthetics of the exterior. He was trying not to be too negative but reflected the same sentiments as you. It really is a disappointing product.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 02:16 PM   #63
QuarterMileJoe
Rep
Drives: BMWM340i

Any word on the estimate sticker price?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 03:03 PM   #64
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
This. If I look at a car and think "that's a 7 outta 10 on the styling front" my views over time might evolve to make that 7 look more like a 6 or an 8, but I can't think of a time that I've ever completely come around on, or started hating the style of a car that I felt strongly about in one direction or another.

I can see being less bothered by the G80/82 front end as time goes on, but I think its very unlikely that I will ever come around to liking it.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 03:30 PM   #65
Zagnificent55
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2C (LBB+6MT+MR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
Bingo. When I first saw the M2 in photos, it was love at first sight, and I knew I "had" to have one. It was when I created my account here. Finally 4 years after, while I continued to try to convince myself I loved Challengers more, I realized what I was really after and bought my M2C, and I am so much happier. It is easy to know when it's right.

I shouldn't have to go see it in person to "hope it's better."
This and more. I was at lunch the other day in Charleston and some dude driving the same spec as my car (LBB, black wheels) drove by and I caught myself and several others turning their heads to get a better look. I often forget how pretty the car is in motion because I’m always the one driving, and not a bystander. I think this design iteration will age VERY well.
Appreciate 1
JustinHEMI7453.00
      03-09-2021, 04:28 PM   #66
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
Evolve just did a review of M4 on youtube. He covered the aesthetics of the exterior. He was trying not to be too negative but reflected the same sentiments as you. It really is a disappointing product.
Link to video? Never mind, I found it.

Last edited by MmmmmM2; 03-09-2021 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: Found the link
Appreciate 0