BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > 2016/17 Euro Delivery Discussion Thread

08-16-2016, 01:42 AM   #45
Shockwave93
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 M2 6MT, '05 330Ci ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanast View Post
Would be very helpful to us newbies on ED if someone with experience would give us guidance on how to buy a BMW with ED. Based on what I'm reading, I need to find a dealer willing to cooperate. Can I use any dealer in the US given I'm picking up in Germany and have its shipped to Baltimore? When do I need to order for delivery in spring 2017? Help!!
I'm no expert, but I'm in the process of waiting to purchase mine. Here's my summary:
Go to/call a dealer. Ask them about the waitlist for the M2. You're probably not going to find a dealer that doesn't have a pretty lengthy waitlist at this point. Tell them you're interested in European Delivery and (likely) that you want it for ED MSRP. You probably won't find any dealers that will sell it to you for less. You'll likely have to put down a $1000 deposit. It should be refundable, but make sure you ask; it looks like some dealers make it non-refundable.
When you buy a car with a dealer, that's where it gets shipped, at least from my understanding. So, if you buy one in Texas, you're going to have it delivered to Texas from Germany.
If you're looking for delivery in Spring 2017, good luck. Start looking now. I went to my dealer in Birmingham in June to place a deposit; it'll probably be June of 2017 until I am able to actually place my order. That doesn't mean that it's impossible, just unlikely. Some dealers are stating that if you placed an order now, you won't get it until October of next year.

Anyone that's more experienced or has different info, feel free to correct me.
Appreciate 3
      08-16-2016, 07:35 AM   #46
flanast
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave93
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanast View Post
Would be very helpful to us newbies on ED if someone with experience would give us guidance on how to buy a BMW with ED. Based on what I'm reading, I need to find a dealer willing to cooperate. Can I use any dealer in the US given I'm picking up in Germany and have its shipped to Baltimore? When do I need to order for delivery in spring 2017? Help!!
I'm no expert, but I'm in the process of waiting to purchase mine. Here's my summary:
Go to/call a dealer. Ask them about the waitlist for the M2. You're probably not going to find a dealer that doesn't have a pretty lengthy waitlist at this point. Tell them you're interested in European Delivery and (likely) that you want it for ED MSRP. You probably won't find any dealers that will sell it to you for less. You'll likely have to put down a $1000 deposit. It should be refundable, but make sure you ask; it looks like some dealers make it non-refundable.
When you buy a car with a dealer, that's where it gets shipped, at least from my understanding. So, if you buy one in Texas, you're going to have it delivered to Texas from Germany.
If you're looking for delivery in Spring 2017, good luck. Start looking now. I went to my dealer in Birmingham in June to place a deposit; it'll probably be June of 2017 until I am able to actually place my order. That doesn't mean that it's impossible, just unlikely. Some dealers are stating that if you placed an order now, you won't get it until October of next year.

Anyone that's more experienced or has different info, feel free to correct me.
Thanks this was exactly the basics I needed to understand. I'm sure others found this helpful as well!!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 07:55 PM   #47
bimaholic
Rep
Drives: '06 330xi

My successful strategy included putting my name on a number of reasonable proximate located dealers with refundable deposits. I suspect a lot of us have done that so as the cars start rolling in the wait lists will lighten up considerably
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 12:12 PM   #48
swilliams
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Bump again to see if there are any other September Euro Delivery members out there. I'll be there on 9/13.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 01:02 PM   #49
vugz10
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BB6 Prelude, F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliams View Post
Bump again to see if there are any other September Euro Delivery members out there. I'll be there on 9/13.
I'll be picking mine up on 9/19 - we'll miss each other by about a week

What's your route?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 01:48 PM   #50
swilliams
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vugz10 View Post
I'll be picking mine up on 9/19 - we'll miss each other by about a week

What's your route?
Ah, well I fly out of Munich on 9/19.

I'm going Munich>Stuttgart>Nurburgring & Spa>Lucerne, Switzerland (Mtn Passes)>Munich.

What about you?
Appreciate 1
      08-29-2016, 03:15 PM   #51
vugz10
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BB6 Prelude, F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliams View Post
Ah, well I fly out of Munich on 9/19.

I'm going Munich>Stuttgart>Nurburgring & Spa>Lucerne, Switzerland (Mtn Passes)>Munich.

What about you?
Nice - sounds like a nice route

Mine is Munich > Zurich > Lucerne (via. Susten Pass) > Como (via. Grimsel, Furka and Gotthard passes) > Verona > Innsbruck > Munich

I wish I planned on visiting Nurburgring - might switch it up if I can...
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2016, 01:55 PM   #52
VPI2000
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 (August ED)

Anyone have a recent US delivery after a Euro Delivery? How long is it taking from drop off to the East Coast? I dropped off my M2 about 3 weeks ago and my dealer is still telling me that they still haven't seen it on the list as being on a boat yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #53
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI2000 View Post
Anyone have a recent US delivery after a Euro Delivery? How long is it taking from drop off to the East Coast? I dropped off my M2 about 3 weeks ago and my dealer is still telling me that they still haven't seen it on the list as being on a boat yet.
Doesn't surprise me, my M2 finished 8/18 and didn't get on a boat till 9/9. Typically id say a week or less to get loaded up.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 09:51 AM   #54
giphlag
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I'm also on a waiting list for ED and so far no problems from the dealer. What I'm trying to wrap my brain around is the fact that I need to sell my current car to help with downpayment of the M2. But full payment for the M2 is due before you get to Germany. And then of course you wait 4-6 weeks for the car to return back to the U.S.
So I would be without a car for that time. What does everyone else here do?
Or do I have some of my facts wrong?
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2016, 10:24 AM   #55
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by giphlag View Post
I'm also on a waiting list for ED and so far no problems from the dealer. What I'm trying to wrap my brain around is the fact that I need to sell my current car to help with downpayment of the M2. But full payment for the M2 is due before you get to Germany. And then of course you wait 4-6 weeks for the car to return back to the U.S.
So I would be without a car for that time. What does everyone else here do?
Or do I have some of my facts wrong?
Buy a cheap beater that will last that time.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 09:14 PM   #56
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6mt, LBB

Check on a monthly rental from one of the major car rental companies. Needed one for 2 months a few years back and it was about $650 a month. Not sure what it costs today.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 08:07 PM   #57
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep

For those of you that have done ED. Does that car have to be shipped backed to the original dealer you purchased/leased the car from, or can you have it shipped to a different dealer after?
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2016, 10:30 PM   #58
Stu Pedasho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Clearing garage space

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Joe View Post
For those of you that have done ED. Does that car have to be shipped backed to the original dealer you purchased/leased the car from, or can you have it shipped to a different dealer after?
I read on one of these threads that the car ships to the dealer that you purchased it from.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 11:45 AM   #59
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha Joe View Post
Usually the selling dealer but if both dealers are willing you can arrange a courtesy delivery to a dealer that's closer to you. Some aren't willing to do it though.
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2016, 04:16 PM   #60
spellbmw
Feuertrunken
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY10 135i 6MT

I put money down in July this year for September 2017 ED. That'll make it a MY 2018.
      09-15-2016, 05:12 PM   #61
Aloha Joe
Hanapaa!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Usually the selling dealer but if both dealers are willing you can arrange a courtesy delivery to a dealer that's closer to you. Some aren't willing to do it though.
Mahalo Cosmos!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 04:59 PM   #62
Stu Pedasho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Clearing garage space

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbmw View Post
I put money down in July this year for September 2017 ED. That'll make it a MY 2018.
Similar ... deposits down in August this year with two dealers one who will do ED at MSRP less ED discount and one who won't do ED, price at MSRP. The first one to call me next summer gets my order. My deposit receipt for one says "2017/2018 M2, no commitment on exact delivery date, 12 month estimate, sold as per MSRP at time of delivery". I'm looking for ED in the Fall 2017 with some luck.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2016, 05:03 PM   #63
D'Alex
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

ED scheduled for 17 October

It's been a crazy week! Received the allocation on Monday for a week 43 build and the dealer sent in the ED date request the same day. I didn't think they would accept the 17 Oct date since it was in the build week, but I wanted to pick it up ASAP so I chose a date that I thought would be too early so they would come back with the first available (there is no ASAP option).

Heard back by Wednesday that the 17 Oct date was accepted! Seems they moved production up to week 39, my CA seemed as surprised as I was.

Here's hoping the weather gods are kind so we can make it down to the Dolomites!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 02:43 PM   #64
mac128ic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Anyone doing ED in November? I know it is not great. I got the allocation in this pool. Doing ED Nov 4th followed by PCD (Not decided the date). Looks like I need winter tires (or m+s) rental. Any suggestion for places to visit during this time. Just for the weekend.
Past: 2011 Jet Black 128i Convertible 6MT/HK
2004 X3 2.5
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 10:59 AM   #65
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac128ic View Post
Anyone doing ED in November? I know it is not great. I got the allocation in this pool. Doing ED Nov 4th followed by PCD (Not decided the date). Looks like I need winter tires (or m+s) rental. Any suggestion for places to visit during this time. Just for the weekend.
Just depends on the weather, that's cutting it close you may not be able to do some mountain passes without winter tires. I did ED last year mid Oct and was ok without snow tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2016, 12:14 PM   #66
giphlag
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Sorry if this has already been answered.

I'm wondering about the front license plate when you do ED. Do they drill the bumper in MUC for the euro plates? And then again in the US for the plates here?
Appreciate 0