BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > N55 Extreme Engine Cooling

03-23-2024, 03:14 PM   #529
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Another update:

Was out at Summit Point Main yesterday and hit a new PB of 1:19.8, which is the fastest street tire (RE-71RS) M2 time I know of and just a couple tenths off the fastest slick tire times. If I fixed a couple mistakes and had fresh rubber, would be in the 18s and prob the M2 record on that track. Not bad for a non-stripped out daily driver.

Here's a Summit Point log: https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=65fd...363507f17cda28
And my last outing at NJMP: https://bootmod3.net/log?id=64e79931d10b430714658c01

Notes
-This time I ran a slightly boosted version of the newer Stg 2+ Mutlimap OTS map. Guessing I was 450-455whp in the NJMP log with the current OTS, 465-470whp in the Summit Point log (I was fast enough to hang in the draft on the straight of a last gen 911 Turbo S tuned to ~600hp).
-Still running glycol b/c of sub-freezing night temps here
-Still cooler ambient weather, so still no idea how the car will handle higher summer temps with water + wetter
-Now running Bad Ass Racing oil 5W-40 vs Motul 300V 10W-40
-Using a more aggressive front pad compound, so more aggressive braking

General observations:
-Ambient temps were about 20F lower for Summit vs NJMP
-Top speed was ~10mph higher at Summit
-IATs remained in check with highest constant WOT delta of 35F (30F at NJMP). More power, and longer straight away at Summit...
-WGDC staying mid-80s on average
-Peak coolant and oil temps are similar between the two logs. At Summit, 258F peak oil temp (perfectly fine), 253F peak coolant temp (still too high)
-Coolant stays in the 242-253F range during hot laps

So, absent more data I'm guessing coolant temps will go too high in the summer at faster tracks like Summit, WGI, etc. Still need a warmer day when able to run water + wetter (vs glycol) to determine the outcome.

Last edited by ZM2; 03-23-2024 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 4
      03-23-2024, 04:18 PM   #530
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Another update:

Was out at Summit Point Main yesterday and hit a new PB of 1:19.8, which is the fastest street tire (RE-71RS) M2 time I know of and just a couple tenths off the fastest slick tire times. If I fixed a couple mistakes and had fresh rubber, would be in the 18s and prob the M2 record on that track. Not bad for a non-stripped out daily driver.

Here's a Summit Point log: https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=65fd...363507f17cda28
And my last outing at NJMP: https://bootmod3.net/log?id=64e79931d10b430714658c01

Notes
-This time I ran a slightly boosted version of the newer Stg 2+ Mutlimap OTS map. Guessing I was 450-455whp in the NJMP log with the current OTS, 465-470whp in the Summit Point log (I was fast enough to hang in the draft on the straight of a last gen 911 Turbo S tuned to ~600hp).
-Still running glycol b/c of sub-freezing night temps here
-Still cooler ambient weather, so still no idea how the car will handle higher summer temps with water + wetter
-Now running Bad Ass Racing oil 5W-40 vs Motul 300V 10W-40
-Using a more aggressive front pad compound, so more aggressive braking

General observations:
-Ambient temps were about 20F lower for Summit vs NJMP
-Top speed was ~10mph higher at Summit
-IATs remained in check with highest constant WOT delta of 35F (30F at NJMP). More power, and longer straight away at Summit...
-WGDC staying mid-80s on average
-Peak coolant and oil temps are similar between the two logs. At Summit, 258F peak oil temp (perfectly fine), 253F peak coolant temp (still too high)
-Coolant stays in the 242-253F range during hot laps

So, absent more data I'm guessing coolant temps will go too high in the summer at faster tracks like Summit, WGI, etc. Still need a warmer day when able to run water + wetter (vs glycol) to determine the outcome.
Haha nice to hear the awesome laptimes!

The issue is that the m2's radiator is just so fricken small, it's hard to tell in photos but if you've ever held one in real life, it brings to perspective just how small it is. Even compared to some other cars and their radiator, the n55 just has an unacceptably small radiator, and even worse all the air that feeds it is primarily from the tiny kidney grilles. Because the radiator primarily sits above the lower opening.
      03-23-2024, 06:54 PM   #531
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Haha nice to hear the awesome laptimes!

The issue is that the m2's radiator is just so fricken small, it's hard to tell in photos but if you've ever held one in real life, it brings to perspective just how small it is. Even compared to some other cars and their radiator, the n55 just has an unacceptably small radiator, and even worse all the air that feeds it is primarily from the tiny kidney grilles. Because the radiator primarily sits above the lower opening.
Yeah, and bc I already have all the largest bolt on coolers and don’t want to deal with any custom cooling on a daily driver, all I can think to do is free up airflow to the radiator (or turn down the juice).

Will see how she does with summer temps and water + wetter.
Appreciate 1
F87source7821.00
      03-23-2024, 07:53 PM   #532
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, and bc I already have all the largest bolt on coolers and don’t want to deal with any custom cooling on a daily driver, all I can think to do is free up airflow to the radiator (or turn down the juice).

Will see how she does with summer temps and water + wetter.
That is true, you do have the best coolers on the market (d088).

At this point you might want to consider either cutting the lower front bumper opening larger like tyspeed. Or adding water sprayers:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4OOy...RlODBiNWFlZA==

BM3 is coming out with their new rev 2 board and custom rom v2 that allows the control of a water meth pump and solenoid. You can utilize this to spray the radiators when going WOT or however you want to define the tuning. This allows for automated spraying.

Or you can have a cheaper solution which is using a hobbs switch to trigger the meth pump when on boost.

Or an even cheaper solution which is to redirect the windshield sprayers to the radiators and use that to spray when you hold down the wiper arm.

Just some ideas

But I do hope you solve the issue.

On a side note I saw you post something about fuel starvation on a different thread. I believe you can utilize the new bm3 rev2 board to control additional fuel pumps as well. So you can probably utilize that in a fuel transfer system strategy or for larger lpfp control. Just an idea.
ZM23018.50
      03-24-2024, 12:51 PM   #533
M2guru
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Thanks for sharing your data! Looking at Summit:

Is the gearbox temp actual? When I was looking at that datapoint last year for my car I was convinced that it was extrapolated from coolant temp, but your data shows otherwise.

I am seeing 40 delta in IAT vs. ambient. Much better than my 50 with the CSF (looking forward to this year with the VRSF Race). Which IC do you have?

Again, thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 1
ZM23018.50
      03-24-2024, 01:11 PM   #534
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2guru View Post
Thanks for sharing your data! Looking at Summit:

Is the gearbox temp actual? When I was looking at that datapoint last year for my car I was convinced that it was extrapolated from coolant temp, but your data shows otherwise.

I am seeing 40 delta in IAT vs. ambient. Much better than my 50 with the CSF (looking forward to this year with the VRSF Race). Which IC do you have?

Again, thanks for sharing!
Gearbox temp is actual, at least on DCT, so that internal fluid temps can be monitored and disengage the clutches if temps go too high (~265F+). IDK about 6MT.

I'm using the Wagner Evo3 FMIC.

There's always a quick spike in IAT in the braking zone at the end of the straight away (40F delta above ambient in my case), but that's inconsequential b/c no power is needed when braking and IATs drop instantly afterwards as soon as you get back on the throttle and start moving air again. So, I always focus on the IAT delta at Vmax at the end of the straightaway b/c that's the most heat load the IC will need to shed under WOT during a lap (35F above ambient in my case).

I do remember seeing a 55F delta with your CSF (hot!) while running much lower power than me. Definitely interested to see how your Pure 750 setup performs (prob similar power as me but on pump gas, and should generate less heat) and the VRSF Race, and if you can keep your engine cool at that power level.

When's your first track day this year?

Last edited by ZM2; 03-24-2024 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 2
F87source7821.00
M2guru508.50
      03-25-2024, 06:23 AM   #535
M2guru
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
When's your first track day this year?
April 27 and 28. I have a lot of new stuff going on so hopefully I can mentally manage: towing with a new (used) truck and a new trailer for the first time. Breaking down at the track at the last event last year and leaving the car at the track was not something that I am interested in doing again.
Appreciate 1
ZM23018.50
      06-04-2024, 02:23 AM   #536
aarodynamics
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 N55 ZL9

I'm currently running a larger turbo and a custom tune on my 6MT N55 F87, and I want to start tracking it. I'm an advanced/instructor-level driver - capable of putting some heat into the car.

I currently have the following:
- Bootmod3 custom tune (~520whp)
- Pure Stage 2 Turbo
- Wagner Evo 2 Intercooler
- A bunch of other stuff not relevant to the cooling discussion most likely... Active Autowerke Charge Pipe, VRSF Catted Downpipe, Akrapovic Exhaust, etc.

After reading this thread, it seems like I'll quickly run into some cooling limitations this summer.

Where should I start with cooling?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 02:41 AM   #537
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarodynamics View Post
I'm currently running a larger turbo and a custom tune on my 6MT N55 F87, and I want to start tracking it. I'm an advanced/instructor-level driver - capable of putting some heat into the car.

- Pure Stage 2 Turbo
- A bunch of other stuff not relevant to the cooling discussion most likely... Active Autowerke Charge Pipe, VRSF Catted Downpipe, Akrapovic Exhaust, etc.

After reading this thread, it seems like I'll quickly run into some cooling limitations this summer.

At 520 whp you won't be able to cool it for 20+ min lapping sessions going hard, we still haven't cracked cooling yet unfortunately.

But a good place to start:

1) DO88 radiator: skip the csf radiator we've seen back to back tests on zm2's car showing the do88 out performs it.

2) DO88 oil cooler: this is the largest one and most effective one on the market, it's also pnp and fits perfectly. Again skip the csf it's not as good.

3) DO88 aux radiator: if you really want to max this out you'll have to retrofit the aux water pump from the m235i, I've helped zm2 do something similar but with the help of enabled you should be able to fully retrofit the m235i pump and have it dme controlled.

4) Intercooler: the Wagner evo 2 really isn't going to cut it because fin density doesn't seem to be very good on it. For tracking I wouldn't go with a race core because it blocks too much air flow to the radiator. So I'd look at either the BMS 5" intercooler or maybe the do88 intercooler which is a bit bigger but still not as tall as a Racecore.
      06-04-2024, 06:19 AM   #538
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
At 520 whp you won't be able to cool it for 20+ min lapping sessions going hard, we still haven't cracked cooling yet unfortunately.

But a good place to start:

1) DO88 radiator: skip the csf radiator we've seen back to back tests on zm2's car showing the do88 out performs it.

2) DO88 oil cooler: this is the largest one and most effective one on the market, it's also pnp and fits perfectly. Again skip the csf it's not as good.

3) DO88 aux radiator: if you really want to max this out you'll have to retrofit the aux water pump from the m235i, I've helped zm2 do something similar but with the help of enabled you should be able to fully retrofit the m235i pump and have it dme controlled.

4) Intercooler: the Wagner evo 2 really isn't going to cut it because fin density doesn't seem to be very good on it. For tracking I wouldn't go with a race core because it blocks too much air flow to the radiator. So I'd look at either the BMS 5" intercooler or maybe the do88 intercooler which is a bit bigger but still not as tall as a Racecore.
Has anyone ever tested the Mishimoto angled intercooler? It’s 6” wide with a 115° angle designed to avoid blocking the radiator. I saw it at their booth at the Kies Motorsports car show last year.

Despite the Mishimoto name, which had me assuming that they were in Asia, the Mishimoto R&D facility is actually in New Castle, Delaware. From what I know, this IC design appears to be unique. Maybe it has merit. Since the angle creates space, I wonder if there’s a way to direct an additional air duct to that spot. I’ve seen a variety of duct work pieces available mostly for braking but same concept.

Please see attached photo and links below.

Product Information
https://www.mishimoto.com/bmw-f22-f3...oler-2012.html

Video about Mishimoto engineering this slanted intercooler
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 08:40 AM   #539
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:

- Pure Stage 2 Turbo

The EVO2 is terrible, the best upgrade would be a race intercooler. There is a member here using a VRSF race with his Pure750, and even with a wastegate issue that pushed his duty cycle to 100% was under 30F over ambient. It should be noted, he didn't have any issues with cooling - IAT, oil or coolant, so maybe watching his build will help you with direction.

What this means for you is knowing that it could easily handle your workload - it’s by far the most effective type of Intercooler on the market. As for the oil cooler - I know a GT1 winning race team that uses the WR oil cooler to great success. If you can grab a good deal (Xph has them on sale often) they would be my bet.
As mentioned, avoid CSF anything. Do88 has solid parts, but their Intercooler (as well as BMS 5”) will be woefully inadequate for your usage.
As long 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.

Last edited by AmuroRay; 06-04-2024 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 09:57 AM   #540
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Has anyone ever tested the Mishimoto angled intercooler? It’s 6” wide with a 115° angle designed to avoid blocking the radiator. I saw it at their booth at the Kies Motorsports car show last year.

Despite the Mishimoto name, which had me assuming that they were in Asia, the Mishimoto R&D facility is actually in New Castle, Delaware. From what I know, this IC design appears to be unique. Maybe it has merit. Since the angle creates space, I wonder if there’s a way to direct an additional air duct to that spot. I’ve seen a variety of duct work pieces available mostly for braking but same concept.

Product Information

Then angle will cause any air going through the lower opening to be turbulent after passing through it, and thus it'll be harder for it to pass through radiators behind it. The large gap also causes a pressure drop for air behind it so less effective for cooling.

You're better off having radiators stacked really tight because it mitigates this issue, that's why all race cars have radiators stacked with very minimal gaps.

For track use you're better off going with a smaller intercooler and adding water injection if needed. Iat should not be the priority, it's coolant temps.
      06-04-2024, 10:11 AM   #541
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Product Information

I was told this is what one team uses, they have had good experience with it. They said they would - if you’re having cooling issues, start with the radiator then step down (from a taller profile Intercooler) to one of these.

I would never use Water injection on the track, and this team doesn’t either, despite making 550who, and racing for 40 mins at a time (stock ducting too).
As long 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.
Appreciate 1
johnung4945.50
      06-04-2024, 10:15 AM   #542
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Then angle will cause any air going through the lower opening to be turbulent after passing through it, and thus it'll be harder for it to pass through radiators behind it. The large gap also causes a pressure drop for air behind it so less effective for cooling.

You're better off having radiators stacked really tight because it mitigates this issue, that's why all race cars have radiators stacked with very minimal gaps.

For track use you're better off going with a smaller intercooler and adding water injection if needed. Iat should not be the priority, it's coolant temps.
I understand your points in theory. But sometimes the theoretical downsides, while being true, still don’t negate the positives. I’m just wondering if anyone has installed one of these Mishimoto slanted intercoolers and tested it?

I texted a shop near me that works on M2’s and has installed Mishimoto parts on BMWs, to see if they have any experience with the IC. Also Mishimoto R&D is only an hour from me so I’ll try to get some data from them when I get a chance. It may be nothing, but I’d just like to get confirmation.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 10:26 AM   #543
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
I was told this is what one team uses, they have had good experience with it. They said they would - if you’re having cooling issues, start with the radiator then step down (from a taller profile Intercooler) to one of these.

I would never use Water injection on the track, and this team doesn’t either, despite making 550who, and racing for 40 mins at a time (stock ducting too).
Very interesting. So it sounds like the Mishimoto slanted intercooler may be a viable solution.

I just got a reply from the shop that I mentioned in another comment. They said that they install the Mishimoto slanted intercoolers “often”. So the next time I’m at that shop I’ll check with different guys that I know to see if they can recall installing it on M2’s, especially any that track. Would be nice to find someone local with first hand experience, maybe some track logs, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 10:28 AM   #544
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Very interesting. So it sounds like the Mishimoto slanted intercooler may be a viable solution.

I just got a reply from the shop that I mentioned in another comment. They said that they install the Mishimoto slanted intercoolers “often”. So the next time I’m at that shop I’ll check with different guys that I know to see if they can recall installing it on M2’s, especially any that track. Would be nice to find someone local with first hand experience, maybe some track logs, etc.
aarodynamics
Intercooler - VRSF Race, best IAT control bar none.
Radiator - DO88, effective, recommended by RMP
Oil cooler - ER or Do88. RMP couldn’t say enough positive things about the ER, so buy the better deal.

EFR 8374 is rated for over 500whp on pump -
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1723999

Log of that turbo
https://datazap.me/u/kfardan/log-159...ata=1-4-6-9-19 (you can see the IATs rise on the ER intercooler)

RMP is saying they have have been using the Mishimoto intercooler on their 550whp racecar, including coolant and oil - I would take that as an endorsement.

Fir what it's worth, the Mishimoto replaced the ER intercooler they were running. But I would personally take the VRSF over the Mishimoto, as we already have a member here (on the M2 side, more on the FXX side) who use the VRSF and have had excellent IAT control and no issues with the oil/Coolant. It's superior in its IAT control, lower pressure drop, and lower cost.

Before anyone asks, they are designing their own intercooler and Radiator, but that's going to be race only parts for $$$. All these parts I've recommended should be more than sufficent for your needs

Last edited by AmuroRay; 06-04-2024 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: Formatting
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 12:01 PM   #545
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
aarodynamics
Intercooler - VRSF Race, best IAT control bar none.
Radiator - DO88, effective, recommended by RMP
Oil cooler - ER or Do88. RMP couldn’t say enough positive things about the ER, so buy the better deal.

EFR 8374 is rated for over 500whp on pump -
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1723999

Log of that turbo
https://datazap.me/u/kfardan/log-159...ata=1-4-6-9-19 (you can see the IATs rise on the ER intercooler)

RMP is saying they have have been using the Mishimoto intercooler on their 550whp racecar, including coolant and oil - I would take that as an endorsement.

Fir what it's worth, the Mishimoto replaced the ER intercooler they were running. But I would personally take the VRSF over the Mishimoto, as we already have a member here (on the M2 side, more on the FXX side) who use the VRSF and have had excellent IAT control and no issues with the oil/Coolant. It's superior in its IAT control, lower pressure drop, and lower cost.

Before anyone asks, they are designing their own intercooler and Radiator, but that's going to be race only parts for $$$. All these parts I've recommended should be more than sufficent for your needs
Funny how you use RMP as ringing endorsement when you previously established that you really don't know exactly what they're running on their car. You also previously said they ran custom radiators but now it's mishimoto? You also said their car was like a stock n55 with stock aero, but that's not even remotely true as you can see by their build... So it's established that the rmp car is not a good benchmark simply because we don't know exactly what they've done to it, in conjunction with it being an m235ir...

Btw, RMP is racing an m235ir - not exactly a good base like for comparison. This car doesn't have ac which means a much thicker radiator core can be used and much less blockage to the radiator. Their m235ir also has massive hood vents too. The m235ir like the m235i has an aux water pump, the m2 doesn't. We also don't know if they're running brushless water pumps etc. so their experiences are so detached from any m2 owner it is not a good comparison. The benchmarks we m2 owners should look at is from owners like zm2 and m2guru who actually have an m2 and actually track the car hard, but especially zm2 who has massive power upgrades as well.

In regards to the ER oil cooler, there have been reports of the oil line hitting the valve cover and causing rubbing issues. Plus I'm pretty sure the ER oil cooler is smaller than the do88 and doesn't have as good shrouding. There's just no way it's better than the do88.
      06-04-2024, 12:34 PM   #546
aarodynamics
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 N55 ZL9

Quote:
If I install all these recommended DO88 coolers, what's the best I can realistically expect out of the car on track on an 80F summer day?

Quote:
Are we confident this significantly outperforms the OEM radiator?

Quote:
This sounds like the clear winner. Does cooling the oil more significantly help keep water temperatures down as well?

Quote:
Is there a write-up on how to accomplish this?
How much an improvement does the aux water pump bring?

Quote:
How significantly of a problem is this and what kinds of improvements should I expect from the DO88 intercooler over my existing Wagner Evo 2?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 12:35 PM   #547
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Funny how you use RMP as ringing endorsement when you previously established that you really don't know exactly what they're running on their car. You also previously said they ran custom radiators but now it's mishimoto? You also said their car was like a stock n55 with stock aero, but that's not even remotely true as you can see by their build... So it's established that the rmp car is not a good benchmark simply because we don't know exactly what they've done to it, in conjunction with it being an m235ir...
Who told you I don't know, sounds like a lot of (incorrect) assumptions on your part. I spoke to them directly mutiple times:

EFR8374 "mid 500whp"- Race gas, per them
Custom PWR radiator and a Mishimoto intercooler, stock shrouding, stock thermostat. 40 mins of racing with no cooling issues per them.

You can pull up the shrouding on the M235i on Realoem, it's pretty similar if not identical to the standard cars.

Quote:
Btw, RMP is racing an m235ir - not e56401xactly a good base like for comparison. This car doesn't have ac which means a much thicker radiator core can be used and much less blockage to the radiator. Their m235ir also has massive hood vents too.
What extra blockage? Per them, the DO88 was an upgrade over stock, they recommend that before using PWR's race core they are using. M4 remote radiator if needed.

Quote:
The m235ir like the m235i has an aux water pump, the m2 doesn't. We also don't know if they're running brushless water pumps etc. so their experiences are so detached from any m2 owner it is not a good comparison. The benchmarks we m2 owners should look at is from owners like zm2 and m2guru who actually have an m2 and actually track the car hard, but especially zm2 who has massive power upgrades as well.
Just because one guy made a build off a sponsors terrible parts, doesn't make that the rule. M2Guru (M2) has the VRSF intercooler, upgraded oil cooler and a Pure750 with IAT's 20ish over ambient, and coolant/Oil under 230F for a 15min track session.

Quote:
In regards to the ER oil cooler, there have been reports of the oil line hitting the valve cover and causing rubbing issues. Plus I'm pretty sure the ER oil cooler is smaller than the do88 and doesn't have as good shrouding. There's just no way it's better than the do88.
According to who? Again, I know RMP is running it - what's your basis for saying it's not as good, based on what?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 12:41 PM   #548
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I understand your points in theory. But sometimes the theoretical downsides, while being true, still don’t negate the positives. I’m just wondering if anyone has installed one of these Mishimoto slanted intercoolers and tested it?

I texted a shop near me that works on M2’s and has installed Mishimoto parts on BMWs, to see if they have any experience with the IC. Also Mishimoto R&D is only an hour from me so I’ll try to get some data from them when I get a chance. It may be nothing, but I’d just like to get confirmation.
That's the thing though, this is race car engineering, no one who builds serious race cars run massive gaps between coolers. You can check out serious builds and every single time when they take about shrouding and radiators they take about gaps. This holds true for f1 teams as well, and hpa who discuss this in depth.
      06-04-2024, 12:53 PM   #549
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That's the thing though, this is race car engineering, no one who builds serious race cars run massive gaps between coolers. You can check out serious builds and every single time when they take about shrouding and radiators they take about gaps. This holds true for f1 teams as well, and hpa who discuss this in depth.
Class winner GT2 - ER intercooler

Class winner GT1 - Mishimoto intercooler

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2024, 02:25 PM   #550
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
If I install all these recommended DO88 coolers, what's the best I can realistically expect out of the car on track on an 80F summer day?

Are we confident this significantly outperforms the OEM radiator?

This sounds like the clear winner. Does cooling the oil more significantly help keep water temperatures down as well?

Is there a write-up on how to accomplish this?
How much an improvement does the aux water pump bring?

How significantly of a problem is this and what kinds of improvements should I expect from the DO88 intercooler over my existing Wagner Evo 2?

Thank you!
I can't tell you for sure, no one can. This depends on a multitude of things: your driving style, track temps (which tends to be higher than ambient air temps), traffic: which generates alot of dirty air and hot air as well, and local air density (those tracking in Denver will have more cooling struggles due to the low air density vs. those tracking at sea level).

In terms of the radiator, we are seeing data that the DO88 radiator is indeed out performing the stock radiators, how much so I have no idea because we don't have clear base lines (the guys running them progress over time with mods and make more power so it blurs the lines as to how much you really gain) but it does seem by a fair bit.

Yes, oil and coolant temperatures are linked via the: coolant and oil heat exchanger, the oil filter housing which flows both coolant and oil, and the engine block itself. So if you cool the oil, it won't transfer as much heat to the coolant.

No, there is no write up. If you want to retrofit the aux pump from the m235i you will be doing it alone with only wiring diagrams from ISTA to help you. You will also need to contact Enabled for help with tuning.

With the DO88 intercooler you can expect some gains in iat reduction since it is a larger core, but again I can't tell you exact numbers because it depends on alot of factors.