BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Bmw F series N55 HPFP upgrades

05-15-2021, 09:12 PM   #507
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
I'm going to give Petro a go after my last 1/4 tank of Husky 94 is gone. Never had good luck with Shell V-Power, I think these turbo cars like the ethanol, always feels down on power compared to Husky 94.
It is not ethanol or not ethanol it is octane related. Anytime you go below 93 octane you will not get the factory rated power. However if you get a custom tune shell is more consistent which is why you should use it over petro, and cookiesowns has shown his tune is capable of making 370whp (iirc) on 91 octane without issues,
      05-16-2021, 07:33 AM   #508
Dj_Quik
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Ok it is official now husky 94 is no more, none of the local gas stations have it and husky customer service emailed me back and they confirmed they will no longer have 94. This was pretty much the only reason imo that Husky had any form of business with their gas stations - because shell offers aero plan miles which is better than husky rewards, mobil offers pc points which you can use to buy food and at a better rate etc.

Ok I am in the process of logging different fuels now, and here is my current rating (from best to worst) based on prior knowledge and talking to alot of reputable tuners in Canada and talking to alot of people who logged their cars.

1) I just tried shell 91 with e85 blended to make E10.1 and so far the E85 from the pump in my city is fricken unreal as it despenses E87.5 all year round and the price is the same as regular which is awesome! Trims so far match Husky 94 on the stock tune and logging show zero abnormalities with fuel trims or AFR so it is safe (obviously at E10 it would be safe). Timing also looks rock solid even logging on a hotter day with the stock intercooler heat soaking a bit - but more data will be gathered before I make a conclusion on how good this combo is. When calculating octane (which is not as straight forward as online calculators make it seem as I will explain in my article that I will publish later on) renders a fuel somewhere in the neighbour hood of ~93 octane. But since the blend was done perfectly down to almost the mL and the base stock of gas (shell 91) is so fricken good I think this 93 octane is more consistent and better than Husky 94 which could have had the ethanol percentage vary as it is only guaranteed up to 10%.

But I must say I do not know if this solution is sustainable because I heard rumours shell is transitioning to bio fuel usage (I Heard Manitoba is first then BC) to stay more environmentally friendly so all their fuels may contain ethanol in the future. If this is true you may no longer be able to mix ethanol with it as it would surpass the 10% tolerance the car has for ethanol from the factory and the stock tune would have to compensate for fuelling and thus trims would be really off. However I did test shell 91 today and it had zero ethanol so for now this solution is still viable.

2) Petro 94 - I gave this fuel alot of flack in the past and still do today. This is because of its inconsistencies. In the summer when this fuel is in its true form without the winter additive garbage they put in, then this gas is just as good as husky 94. In the winter when they do their winter blend garbage the fuel quality drops and this was noted by my former sti tuner who looks at alot of logs. So this is why I never recommended getting a protune with this fuel as it is too inconsistent and you'd be wasting your money. But I will log this fuel as well to see how it performs when the fuel is at its best aka during the summer.

3) Shell 91: the best 91 octane fuel you can get out there from my experience. It is consistent all year round and has zero ethanol for now (hopefully forever but IDK if that will hold true). I normally put shell before petro because I factor consistency in heavily over max potential but this time for just sheer octane petro is better in the summer, in the winter I would go with shell. I will not be logging this fuel as it will just behave like a really solid 91 would.

4) Chevron 94: This fuel is absolute garbage according to the BC GTR owners with it behaving worse than shell 91, my tuner has also said when he data logged this fuel on the dyno it performed like crap as well and to steer clear of it. But all this data was given a few years ago and I heard alot of GTR guys providing Chevron fuel customer service with their experiences so maybe they might have made a change. If I feel brave enough (it might be like putting 89 octane in the tank) or have the desire to log this fuel I will do it and get an ethanol test as well (it should turn out to have no ethanol as it is heavily advertised on Chevron's site to have no ethanol). I really do hope this fuel has changed and has gotten better because this would be absolutely incredible to have as a base fuel to mix with ethanol as the final octane would be insanely good.

If any Canadians living in Western Canada (AB, SASK, and BC) have any fuel suggestions that you want me to test let me know and I will add it to the list.
You should give chevron mixed with ethanol a try. Ive been mixing it to between e40 and 45. Rock solid timing up to redline and no knock as far as i can tell. Maybe they reformulated it? There have been m2 owners here running it plain on stock tune and a few on stage 2 91 bm3 tune without major issues
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 01:29 PM   #509
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_Quik View Post
You should give chevron mixed with ethanol a try. Ive been mixing it to between e40 and 45. Rock solid timing up to redline and no knock as far as i can tell. Maybe they reformulated it? There have been m2 owners here running it plain on stock tune and a few on stage 2 91 bm3 tune without major issues
Are you on the stock tune? Because I can't mix that high on a stock tune. Also I think your timing is so good because you're at e40-e45.

Stage 2 91 octane isn't impressive to see on Chevron 94, if it was real 94 they'd be able to run full stage 2 93 tune.

Idk I might try it out if I feel like it, but I really don't want to mess with it. I recently talked to my old sti and frs tuner and he told me Chevron 94 was still absolutely sh*t in his experience.
      05-16-2021, 04:44 PM   #510
Dj_Quik
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Are you on the stock tune? Because I can't mix that high on a stock tune. Also I think your timing is so good because you're at e40-e45.

Stage 2 91 octane isn't impressive to see on Chevron 94, if it was real 94 they'd be able to run full stage 2 93 tune.

Idk I might try it out if I feel like it, but I really don't want to mess with it. I recently talked to my old sti and frs tuner and he told me Chevron 94 was still absolutely sh*t in his experience.
im running bm3 stage 2+ e30 map with a dorch pump.

i dunno, something may have changed coz i remember 2 years ago i couldnt run chev 94 on a stage 1 dinan piggyback cos it ran like dog shit. but now im seeing members of my m2 club running it on stage 1 or 2 bm3 tune with no issues. youd still see timing pulls but not as bad as youd expect.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2021, 06:22 PM   #511
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
im running bm3 stage 2+ e30 map with a dorch pump.

i dunno, something may have changed coz i remember 2 years ago i couldnt run chev 94 on a stage 1 dinan piggyback cos it ran like dog shit. but now im seeing members of my m2 club running it on stage 1 or 2 bm3 tune with no issues. youd still see timing pulls but not as bad as youd expect.
Hmm interesting I will look into it vs. petro 94 then potentially with some e95 mixed into it to make E10. I will start a new thread and tag you guys in it as to not clutter this one up.
      06-02-2021, 03:15 PM   #512
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

Just got the okay from Dorch to let everyone know that they will be starting production on the Stage 3 HPFP kit soon!
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | DS2 + Lift Kit | Nostrum S2 Injectors | TI E5LM | Torqbyte EKP | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 1
F87source7368.50
      06-02-2021, 03:33 PM   #513
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eidos View Post
Just got the okay from Dorch to let everyone know that they will be starting production on the Stage 3 HPFP kit soon!
I will add that to the thread!

If I get time I will revamp this whole thread to add pictures, and make it a whole lot nicer.
      06-02-2021, 04:07 PM   #514
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I will add that to the thread!

If I get time I will revamp this whole thread to add pictures, and make it a whole lot nicer.
That would be great!

Some additional information from Chris at Dorch:

"As for the production kit, the final flow percentage gain number still may change, so that’s the only thing not set in stone. That call will be made in the next month here as we finalize more testing before ramping up production (finally!). The kit will come with a new flange and it will work with existing S1 and S2 kits, but depending on when the original HPFP kit was purchased, their pump may need to be sent in for an update service. This will most likely be free of charge with the purchase of the lift kit."
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | DS2 + Lift Kit | Nostrum S2 Injectors | TI E5LM | Torqbyte EKP | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 1
F87source7368.50
      06-02-2021, 04:34 PM   #515
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
That would be great!

"As for the production kit, the final flow percentage gain number still may change, so that’s the only thing not set in stone. That call will be made in the next month here as we finalize more testing before ramping up production (finally!). The kit will come with a new flange and it will work with existing S1 and S2 kits, but depending on when the original HPFP kit was purchased, their pump may need to be sent in for an update service. This will most likely be free of charge with the purchase of the lift kit."
Is the stage 3 hpfp a modification of the stage 1 and 2 or is it a whole new pump?

This is so cool! I wonder if they'll make a "stage 4" with the s55 dual hpfp setup + upgraded hpfps for those who want to hit crazy 4 digit power numbers.
      06-02-2021, 04:47 PM   #516
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That would be great!

"As for the production kit, the final flow percentage gain number still may change, so that's the only thing not set in stone. That call will be made in the next month here as we finalize more testing before ramping up production (finally!). The kit will come with a new flange and it will work with existing S1 and S2 kits, but depending on when the original HPFP kit was purchased, their pump may need to be sent in for an update service. This will most likely be free of charge with the purchase of the lift kit."
Is the stage 3 hpfp a modification of the stage 1 and 2 or is it a whole new pump?

This is so cool! I wonder if they'll make a "stage 4" with the s55 dual hpfp setup + upgraded hpfps for those who want to hit crazy 4 digit power numbers.
What differentiates the stage 3 kit from the stage 1 and 2 is the addition of the upgraded vacuum pump (See the design of the Dorch S55 kit) that drives the HPFP.

To "marry" the existing Dorch stage 1/2 pump to the upgraded vacuum pump you'll need to use a different flange size, which Dorch will provide.

That said, like Chris mentioned, if you were an early adopter of the stage 1 or 2 pumps (Not sure when the date cut-off is), you'll need to send your hpfp in for servicing to support the upgraded vacuum pump, which is still a great option for these owners (No need to purchase a new hpfp).

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 05:14 PM   #517
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
What differentiates the stage 3 kit from the stage 1 and 2 is the addition of the upgraded vacuum pump (See the design of the Dorch S55 kit) that drives the HPFP.

To "marry" the existing Dorch stage 1/2 pump to the upgraded vacuum pump you'll need to use a different flange size, which Dorch will provide.

That said, like Chris mentioned, if you were an early adopter of the stage 1 or 2 pumps (Not sure when the date cut-off is), you'll need to send your hpfp in for servicing to support the upgraded vacuum pump, which is still a great option for these owners (No need to purchase a new hpfp).
I see. So upgraded cams in the vaccum pump essentially, very interesting. Install will be a pita though if you have to pull the vaccum pump because you have to lock timing as well.

But if we are able to see another ~30% flow like the s55 is, that would be immense. Very good though on behalf of dorch to keep pushing the envelope for the n55.
      06-02-2021, 09:50 PM   #518
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:
I see. So upgraded cams in the vaccum pump essentially, very interesting. Install will be a pita though if you have to pull the vaccum pump because you have to lock timing as well.

But if we are able to see another ~30% flow like the s55 is, that would be immense. Very good though on behalf of dorch to keep pushing the envelope for the n55.
Initial estimates for the increase of flow from the n55 upgraded vacuum pump were 30-50%. We'll see what the final number is once Dorch wraps things up.

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 10:12 PM   #519
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Initial estimates for the increase of flow from the n55 upgraded vacuum pump were 30-50%. We'll see what the final number is once Dorch wraps things up.
Holy crap!

Is that a total increase in flow or ontop of what the stage 1/2 hpfp already does?

What is the percentage increase ontop of a stage 2 dorch hpfp? And how much will it cost? Those are the two important questions to determine if it's worth it.
      06-02-2021, 10:22 PM   #520
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:
Holy crap!

Is that a total increase in flow or ontop of what the stage 1/2 hpfp already does?

What is the percentage increase ontop of a stage 2 dorch hpfp? And how much will it cost? Those are the two important questions to determine if it's worth it.
From what was relayed to me, the 30-50% was in addition to what the stage 1 or stage 2 flows over stock.

So if the stage 2 flows 75% over stock and hypothetically the upgraded vacuum pump yields an additional 40% of flow then 75% + 40% for a total of 115% total increased flow over stock with the stage 2 + upgraded vacuum pump set-up.

Same exercise for stage 1 + upgraded vacuum pump: 45% + 40% equaling 85% total increased flow over stock.

Will be interesting to see the final flow numbers for sure!

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 10:59 PM   #521
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
From what was relayed to me, the 30-50% was in addition to what the stage 1 or stage 2 flows over stock.

So if the stage 2 flows 75% over stock and hypothetically the upgraded vacuum pump yields an additional 40% of flow then 75% + 40% for a total of 115% total increased flow over stock with the stage 2 + upgraded vacuum pump set-up.

Same exercise for stage 1 + upgraded vacuum pump: 45% + 40% equaling 85% total increased flow over stock.

Will be interesting to see the final flow numbers for sure!
WOW. That is fricken incredible! If those numbers hold up that will be insane!

You'll need an even larger EFR turbo. Plus injectors may once more become a limiting factor. Good thing a few companies (nostrum irc) are working on an injector upgrade.
      06-03-2021, 11:06 AM   #522
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:
WOW. That is fricken incredible! If those numbers hold up that will be insane!

You'll need an even larger EFR turbo. Plus injectors may once more become a limiting factor. Good thing a few companies (nostrum irc) are working on an injector upgrade.
Yes. It's a nice option that gives Dorch pump owners headroom if they ever want to push more power on higher E blends, but can't commit to the large upfront cost right away.

Another injector upgrade option like you mentioned would probably be needed at 650whp+ on full E85.

The EU5 N55 or EU5 S63 injectors will pair well with the Stage 3 kit for the most part and will start reaching the limits of the injectors at around 600whp and 650whp, respectively (Based on conservative lambda targets). In our testing we're limited by turbo, the single Walbro 525 LPFP (Will confirm 100% once lpfp sensor is in), and then the EU5s S63 injectors in that exact order. Stage 2 HPFP + upgraded vacuum pump has not shown any sign of stumbling yet.

A note on the LPFP side of things. At 620-650whp at E88-E90, my single Walbro 525 set-up is very close to if not at its flow limits. So if you're pushing enough to require beefier injectors than the EU5 S63s then you'll probably need to convert to a dual pump set-up for the LPFP side. The stages seem to line-up quite nicely.

Appreciate 1
F87source7368.50
      06-03-2021, 03:28 PM   #523
Dj_Quik
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Anyone notice on the bm3 app under the hpfp options that dorch has separate options for stage 1 and stage 2 pumps? I wonder what this calibration does. Is it to address the chirping sound? Anyways, i just flashed the stage 1 dorch option and im about to go for a drive. Ill let yall dorch peeps know if i notice a difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 02:22 PM   #524
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Anyone notice on the bm3 app under the hpfp options that dorch has separate options for stage 1 and stage 2 pumps? I wonder what this calibration does. Is it to address the chirping sound? Anyways, i just flashed the stage 1 dorch option and im about to go for a drive. Ill let yall dorch peeps know if i notice a difference.
Hmm, not seeing that in my iPhone BM3 app.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 03:02 PM   #525
Dj_Quik
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Hmm, not seeing that in my iPhone BM3 app.
I flashed via laptop. I noticed the same thing. I used my desktop to set up the config and saved changes with dorch stage 1 selected. Then i went to my car to flash with my phone but i couldnt see the changes i made there so i had to flash with my laptop instead. The chirp that i was getting at partial throttle around 1200-2000 rpm is almost gone though. I forgot to log but i think im seeing higher fuel pressures as well.
Appreciate 1
ZM22839.50
      06-05-2021, 02:59 AM   #526
Daleb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
I flashed via laptop. I noticed the same thing. I used my desktop to set up the config and saved changes with dorch stage 1 selected. Then i went to my car to flash with my phone but i couldnt see the changes i made there so i had to flash with my laptop instead. The chirp that i was getting at partial throttle around 1200-2000 rpm is almost gone though. I forgot to log but i think im seeing higher fuel pressures as well.
Hopefully this is the fix, Chris from Dorch said they were sending an update to BM3 to address this a few months back now.

Yeah you should see a higher fuel pressure, 2800ish instead of 2400 I believe. My chirp is worse when cold but still there when fully warmed up, getting a bit annoying now.

I think the laptop version gets updates quicker than the phone app? I just checked my iPhone app and it’s still just as ‘Dorch’. I’ll hook the laptop up and see what it’s saying and report back.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 11:41 AM   #527
Dj_Quik
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Yep im seeing 2800 psi. The chirp is very momentary now. Mostly on low speed high load throttle inputs. Is there anything else in this update other than addressing the chirp?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 03:16 AM   #528
Daleb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Mine is still chirping away when cold, getting pretty annoying now. might move onto a different HPFP if it can't be resolved.
Appreciate 0