BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Latest ISTEP flashed.. much improved

07-06-2020, 02:03 AM   #485
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWF87Melb View Post
I'm keen to try out an istep update but also worried about losing the pops and burbles.. has anyone actually downgraded their istep version through their dealer?
The pops and burbles are still there, I don't know who started this myth.
Great - thanks to confirm on that. No idea where that myth came from too!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 10:17 AM   #486
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

They are still there on mine - but I rarely get bangs anymore like when I first picked it up in 18'
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 03:28 PM   #487
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
The pops and burbles are still there, I don't know who started this myth.
Indeed.....that's a myth!
      07-07-2020, 04:51 PM   #488
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatingpizzainthef87rules View Post
They are still there on mine - but I rarely get bangs anymore like when I first picked it up in 18'
So you think it was a software update that muted the sound?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2020, 02:07 AM   #489
MidnightM2
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Quote:
100% happened to mine too.Burbles returned 70% but seem more muffled now
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 07:33 AM   #490
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightM2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Did you notice any change to the ASD?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 01:54 AM   #491
MidnightM2
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No difference at all to ASD
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 03:40 AM   #492
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No difference at all to ASD
Ok - won't bother with the istep update. Definitely going to go with the harness then! Thx!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 08:05 AM   #493
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

I just had the update done on my 2016 M2 at my dealer and can confirm that the steering feel is improved.The ASD is also much quieter.

I did notice in my Idrive 4 phone settings that i now have an Active call icon that only lights up when the call is active.I don’t remember having this icon before the update.Does anyone also have this icon?Here is a picture.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 08:34 AM   #494
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
I just had the update done on my 2016 M2 at my dealer and can confirm that the steering feel is improved.The ASD is also much quieter.

I did notice in my Idrive 4 phone settings that i now have an Active call icon that only lights up when the call is active.I don't remember having this icon before the update.Does anyone also have this icon?Here is a picture.
Any change to the burbles? Lots have said the burbles and pops are reduced after the latest istep update

Can I ask - any specific reason you requested for the istep to be updated?

I'm still in two minds about getting the istep updated especially if those pops and burbles are reduced! But a quieter ASD would be good along with other fixes e.g. the switching off the reverse camera after going out of reverse gear!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 10:11 AM   #495
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 DCT, 2012

Quote:

I did notice in my Idrive 4 phone settings that i now have an Active call icon that only lights up when the call is active.I don’t remember having this icon before the update.Does anyone also have this icon?Here is a picture.
The ASD will probably get louder over the next few drives - it did with mine when I last updated it. Not sure why it would do this, but seems to be the case.

I ended up coding mine down to the quietest setting in any case.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 06:22 PM   #496
SW19
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Any change to the burbles? Lots have said the burbles and pops are reduced after the latest istep update

I'm still in two minds about getting the istep updated especially if those pops and burbles are reduced! But a quieter ASD would be good along with other fixes e.g. the switching off the reverse camera after going out of reverse gear!
I read the reviews on the improved steering feel and that was the main reason why i requested the update.I can now feel much more of the road through the steering.It feels more natural now.

I also requested the update because i have never been able to get text messages in my idrive screen.They updated the software under warranty because of this issue but i still don’t get text messages.BMW Canada ended up telling them that my 2016 M2 isn’t able to show text messages.So that wasn’t fixed.

The burbles and exhaust note sound exactly the same.The ASD is definitely quieter.I used to get a high drone, especially on the highway.Now after the update it is definitely toned down.It doesn’t bother me anymore.

I didn’t know about the rear camera fix but i can confirm that it works.It now goes off after going out of reverse.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 06:27 PM   #497
SW19
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by widetyres View Post
The ASD will probably get louder over the next few drives - it did with mine when I last updated it. Not sure why it would do this, but seems to be the case.

Why would it get louder after a few drives?I have already driven my car for over a week and it sounds exactly the same.Isn’t the only option to turn it off completely with coding?How do you code it to turn it down?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 06:55 PM   #498
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I read the reviews on the improved steering feel and that was the main reason why i requested the update.I can now feel much more of the road through the steering.It feels more natural now.

I also requested the update because i have never been able to get text messages in my idrive screen.They updated the software under warranty because of this issue but i still don't get text messages.BMW Canada ended up telling them that my 2016 M2 isn't able to show text messages.So that wasn't fixed.

The burbles and exhaust note sound exactly the same.The ASD is definitely quieter.I used to get a high drone, especially on the highway.Now after the update it is definitely toned down.It doesn't bother me anymore.

I didn't know about the rear camera fix but i can confirm that it works.It now goes off after going out of reverse.
Great - thanks for the write up. Sounds like it's all positive from the istep update!
My car is out of warranty but will have to enquire on the cost of the update.

It's interesting that quite a few people that mentioned that they the burbles and pops were reduced after the update - could it have possibly been because of the reduced ASD?

How does the car sound in traction mode? Still the same?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 07:03 PM   #499
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Why would it get louder after a few drives?I have already driven my car for over a week and it sounds exactly the same.Isn’t the only option to turn it off completely with coding?How do you code it to turn it down?
Yes - that's quite odd to hear that the ASD gets louder after time. People have commented that when they lost their burbles and pops that they gradually came back as well but not back to original volume.

Seems like the car undergoes a bit of a reset after an istep update and needs a period to settle back in of sorts?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 08:29 PM   #500
SW19
Colonel
Rep

I guess it all comes down to how much someone remembers every little sound the car makes before the update.I don’t blame you for being cautious when deciding to do the update.All of us original M2 owners love the sound of the exhaust.I haven’t tried traction mode yet since the update.I will send you a reply after i have tested it to make sure it still goes crazy with burbles and pops.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 04:31 AM   #501
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I guess it all comes down to how much someone remembers every little sound the car makes before the update.I don’t blame you for being cautious when deciding to do the update.All of us original M2 owners love the sound of the exhaust.I haven’t tried traction mode yet since the update.I will send you a reply after i have tested it to make sure it still goes crazy with burbles and pops.
Much appreciated - keep us posted with how it goes!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 03:04 PM   #502
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Why would it get louder after a few drives?I have already driven my car for over a week and it sounds exactly the same.
I hadn't seen that you had been driving the car for a while. No idea why it happens, but to some (including me) the ASD was dead quite immediately after the update and increased in volume over a few days until stabilising.

Quote:
Isn’t the only option to turn it off completely with coding?How do you code it to turn it down?
You can code it to different volumes - most of this info is out there as owners of non ///M cars like to increase the volume! (the total reverse of people on this forum )

You edit the "Power Class" setting in the ASD (via esys) - options are:

KL = Lowest level
UL = Lower level
ML = Middle level
OL = Upper Level
TL = Top Level
SL = Super Level

The M2 comes out of the factory in TL or SL mode (can't recall which, but it is at the loud end of the scale).

KL is pretty much like having it off.

UL is a good option - it adds a bit of noise, without sounding artificial or boomy and it doesn't over-power the real noises from the engine/exhaust.

WT
Appreciate 1
SW192481.00
      07-24-2020, 08:17 PM   #503
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I hadn't seen that you had been driving the car for a while. No idea why it happens, but to some (including me) the ASD was dead quite immediately after the update and increased in volume over a few days until stabilising.
In that ASD eventually returned to full original volume?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 12:34 AM   #504
widetyres
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
In that ASD eventually returned to full original volume?
It did, so I coded it back down. Really weird why it does this.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 04:23 AM   #505
BMWF87Melb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Why would it get louder after a few drives?I have already driven my car for over a week and it sounds exactly the same.

Quote:
Isn’t the only option to turn it off completely with coding?How do you code it to turn it down?
You can code it to different volumes - most of this info is out there as owners of non ///M cars like to increase the volume! (the total reverse of people on this forum )

You edit the "Power Class" setting in the ASD (via esys) - options are:

KL = Lowest level
UL = Lower level
ML = Middle level
OL = Upper Level
TL = Top Level
SL = Super Level

The M2 comes out of the factory in TL or SL mode (can't recall which, but it is at the loud end of the scale).

KL is pretty much like having it off.

UL is a good option - it adds a bit of noise, without sounding artificial or boomy and it doesn't over-power the real noises from the engine/exhaust.

WT
That's pretty cool - I didn't know that the ASD can be coded to different levels. Thought it was just on/off with coding.
Will have to look into this. I'd rather not mess with any coding thus ordering the harness, but having some minimal low volume ASD would probably work best for me rather than completely shut off.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 01:28 PM   #506
NJ Drive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Received a message on the i-Drive about recommending an update to Maps. It disappeared after checking it then reappeared a few days later and haven't seen it since. Anyone think this is justifiable grounds for an I-STEP update?
Appreciate 0