BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > XCAR - 2016 BMW M2: All The Details And Engine Noise

12-07-2015, 12:20 PM   #23
G8rGrl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss

I don't know how much longer I can keep blaming "the camera". I don't like how the M2 looks in the video.
Appreciate 2
      12-07-2015, 12:22 PM   #24
ellekz
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319 View Post
The sound is actually pretty good. You have to realize it was started and reved in a photography studio.

If you listen to it without preconceived notions it doesn't sound flat, and that is with reverb echoing off the nearest wall and ceiling.

As you most likely know there will also be plenty of sound options available in a short time after release from seemingly thousands of "tuners" across the globe.

Down pipe, intake, x-pipe and exhaust system will give it more sound "character" to suit your ear.
But why do you have to heavily modify an M-car (sometimes beyond legal means) just to make it sound good? AMGs (even that 2.0 4cyl A45), Porsche, Audi RS (heck even the normal Audi S) already sound pretty awesome off the assembly line.
Appreciate 5
      12-07-2015, 12:36 PM   #25
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellekz
Quote:
The sound is actually pretty good. You have to realize it was started and reved in a photography studio.

If you listen to it without preconceived notions it doesn't sound flat, and that is with reverb echoing off the nearest wall and ceiling.

As you most likely know there will also be plenty of sound options available in a short time after release from seemingly thousands of "tuners" across the globe.

Down pipe, intake, x-pipe and exhaust system will give it more sound "character" to suit your ear.
But why do you have to heavily modify an M-car (sometimes beyond legal means) just to make it sound good? AMGs (even that 2.0 4cyl A45), Porsche, Audi RS (heck even the normal Audi S) already sound pretty awesome off the assembly line.
I don't particularly care if an Audi sounds good in stock form and is not a perquisite to the consideration to purchase a car.

Personally, I wouldn't consider a FWD-based car heavily modified to be suitable anyway.

The M2 may have a sound profile that is undesirable to some or possibly to a lot of people. But that really shouldn't be a deterrent to a RWD, manual transmission, fender flared, turbo charged, almost E46 M3-sized M car from BMW M GmbH now should it?

Not everyone wants a stock car. OEM manufacturers have multiple countries that they need to adhere to their noise and pollution requirements.

That is why the aftermarket exists, to offer products to consumers that want more. They desire more sound, more handling, more looks, more performance, more speed or just plain more of everything.

And yes, if one owns an Audi, Porsche or BMW there are an exceedingly large amount of aftermarket options to get ones car to look, sound, perform or handle the way they want it to.

The OEM+ M Performance exhaust and possible M Power Kit are conceived by BMW M to offer more (slight) performance without the risk to owners looking for more performance, while also adding peace of mind with a factory warranty.

And it is very profitable for them (BMW) to offer OEM+components instead of letting that owner go to the aftermarket and spend thousands of dollars on parts, and in most cases are unproven and untested parts.
Appreciate 2
      12-07-2015, 12:39 PM   #26
Lt1camaro
Lieutenant
Iran
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i, 2015 435i, 2013 M3

Quote:
Because not everyone wants a stock car. OEM manufacturers have multiple countries that they need to adhere to their noise and pollution requirements.

That is why the aftermarket exists, to offer products to drivers that want more.

And yes, if one owns a Porsche or BMW there are an exceedingly large amount of aftermarket options to get ones car look, sound or handle the way they want it to.

The OEM+ M Performance exhaust and possible M Power Kit are conceived by BMW M to offer more (slight) performance without the risk to owners looking for more performance, while also adding peace of mind with a factory warranty.

And it is very profitable for them (BMW) to offer OEM+components instead of letting that owner go to the aftermarket and spend thousands of dollars on parts, and in most cases unproven and untested parts.

The Moss Magnuson Act does not allow a manufacturer to give you warranty and then summarily take it due to parts the owner added.
The point he was trying to make is porsches, AMGs, audi S/RS already sound good from the factory in stock form, while you have to modify the more recent BMW's to make them sound good.
Appreciate 4
      12-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #27
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Quote:
Quote:

Just taken delivery of a Cayman GT4. The exhaust on the GT4 is absolutely amazing makes my 1M sound very quiet! It is an incredible experience to drive. Still love my 1M but the GT4 moves the game on by some margin. Will be interesting to see where the M2 fits against such cars.
Appreciate 2
      12-07-2015, 12:45 PM   #28
Haslamhazza
Private
Rep
Drives: Just got M2

Check out at 2.40. It looks like the Rev and speedo are back lit in white. There was talk about it being red and many people being unhappy. Fingers crossed it is white
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 12:55 PM   #29
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc3
Quote:
Quote:

Just taken delivery of a Cayman GT4. The exhaust on the GT4 is absolutely amazing makes my 1M sound very quiet! It is an incredible experience to drive. Still love my 1M but the GT4 moves the game on by some margin. Will be interesting to see where the M2 fits against such cars.
Congrats on the GT4. My client didn't listen to me about getting one, since he has an order on the 991 GT3 RS and I made him get an M4 GTS!

Sound is completely subjective as are looks. The Cayman should have the sound to go with its its looks and purpose. But if it didn't that wouldn't stop people from buying one and it ultimately being sold out.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 01:12 PM   #30
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
limited production run?
      12-07-2015, 01:14 PM   #31
FilipMPower
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Anything with a locking diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul View Post
Bmw is light years away from porsche...bmw can not make an eps even if the world depended on...it does look good though
I'd agree, but saying the EPS is bad is not true, Audi has the bad EPS, BMW is at least second or third place behind Porsche, I cant think of a company with comaparable EPS to BMW except for maybe Jaguar which seems decent as well.

And I knew the sound wouldnt be good. Surely they could do the Jaguar-way exhaust for the M2 with insane pops and crackles, would fit with the aggressive exterior, but I guess no...
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2015, 01:40 PM   #32
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haslamhazza View Post
Check out at 2.40. It looks like the Rev and speedo are back lit in white. There was talk about it being red and many people being unhappy. Fingers crossed it is white
I believe that in non-M Fxx vehicles, during the day the cluster is white and at night it changes to orange
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2015, 01:48 PM   #33
Haslamhazza
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
I believe that in non-M Fxx vehicles, during the day the cluster is white and at night it changes to orange
Yep your right. I got excited then. What does the m3,m4 do in the dark? Does that change to orange
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 01:50 PM   #34
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haslamhazza View Post
Yep your right. I got excited then. What does the m3,m4 do in the dark? Does that change to orange
Nope, stays white.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 02:00 PM   #35
Haslamhazza
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Nope, stays white.
Well that's not right then is it. It should stay white
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 02:03 PM   #36
Cope
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' VO 1M, 17' LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc3 View Post
What I don't understand is that if they really do intend to keep production numbers down, which I doubt, why not make it a bit more special. It just needs a bit more power, a bit less weight, a bit more noise,a better interior and a carbon roof, decent mirrors plus some wheel and tyre options.

Do we know what tyres it is coming on? Needs Michelin Cup 2's??
The M2 doesn't have decent mirrors? Decent mirrors?

That's an absurd choice of words. Since it's missing that adorable extra pillar thing that gives everyone a chubby does that mean these mirrors are inadequate at performing their actual purpose? They aren't even decent? I don't even
Appreciate 3
      12-07-2015, 02:04 PM   #37
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F36 AW 6MT

Does anyone know the OEM wheel sizes on the M2? Are these the same as the 437M or are they narrower?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 02:05 PM   #38
Ryan Bell
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Can't believe people are still talking about this. Talk about cowards dying 1000 deaths. lol
Sorry is this a common subject? I'm quite new to this forum.
      12-07-2015, 02:13 PM   #39
deemo319
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinYellowMakesMeHard
Quote:

wait a few days until a new video of it revving outdoors comes out and people will be all over it again..
You are right on so many levels here. To me, people post comments as if the mirrors, sound or both are significant hurdles to consider buying the car.

Which makes them sound crazy, which means they are not serious most likely not getting one in the first place.

"A ________, _________and ________________ car sounds better stock and doesn't need thousands of dollars in hardware to sound good!"

I would add hardware regardless of how it sounds in stock form anyway.

Because I am particular how my car sounds, I would apply certain hardware to achieve my goal but I wouldn't compare another brand and its sound if I am looking at an M2.

For me it's the M4 bits, size and the damn thing has factory fender flares and not some horrific tacked-on junk is pretty reason enough to pull the trigger and get one.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 02:32 PM   #40
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinYellowMakesMeHard
Quote:

wait a few days until a new video of it revving outdoors comes out and people will be all over it again..
You are right on so many levels here. To me, people post comments as if the mirrors, sound or both are significant hurdles to consider buying the car.

Which makes them sound crazy, which means they are not serious most likely not getting one in the first place.

"A ________, _________and ________________ car sounds better stock and doesn't need thousands of dollars in hardware to sound good!"

I would add hardware regardless of how it sounds in stock form anyway.

Because I am particular how my car sounds, I would apply certain hardware to achieve my goal but I wouldn't compare another brand and its sound if I am looking at an M2.

For me it's the M4 bits, size and the damn thing has factory fender flares and not some horrific tacked-on junk is pretty reason enough to pull the trigger and get one.
There are some people who are going to lease this car. Therefore hardware upgrades/mods are not possible for all of us. On the other hand, even if I was going to buy this car instead of leasing, I wouldn't mod it anyway. Again, some people like to keep their car stock. So, it's pretty damn normal that some of us expect a stock M car to sound at least as good as its competitors.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2015, 02:42 PM   #41
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deemo319
Quote:
Quote:

I don't particularly care if an Audi sounds good in stock form and is not a perquisite to the consideration to purchase a car.

Personally, I wouldn't consider a FWD-based car heavily modified to be suitable anyway.

The M2 may have a sound profile that is undesirable to some or possibly to lot of people. But that really shouldn't be a deterrent to a RWD, manual transmission, fender flared, turbo charged, almost E46 M3-sized M car from BMW M GmbH now should it?

Not everyone wants a stock car. OEM manufacturers have multiple countries that they need to adhere to their noise and pollution requirements.

That is why the aftermarket exists, to offer products to consumers that want more. They desire more sound, more handling, more looks, more performance, more speed or just plain more of everything.

And yes, if one owns an Audi, Porsche or BMW there are an exceedingly large amount of aftermarket options to get ones car look, sound or handle the way they want it to.

And it is very profitable for them (BMW) to offer OEM+components instead of letting that owner go to the aftermarket and spend thousands of dollars on parts, and in most cases are unproven and untested parts.
Fear not everyone!

I read a million posts, and listened to a bunch of videos, on how bad the M3 sounds while waiting for mine to get here. I got the car a couple months ago and did the valve mod.

I think it sounds absolutely amazing. Angry, growly, and mean. It crackles and pops. I could not be more happy with it.

Until hearing it person, yourself, you should not worry.

Either way I'm sure it will be an amazing drive!
      12-07-2015, 03:02 PM   #42
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl
It doesn't sound as good here as it did in other videos.
Maybe because the bloody engine is still cold.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2015, 03:10 PM   #43
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

The sound of a car revving while in park is not a good indicator of what it sounds like. You need to engage it into gear and go WOT, the sounds is dramatically louder and different in every way.

As far as everyone still on the "wish it had this... and that... and what not"; it is what it is. It will be over $10k less than the M3/4 and BMW didn't think it was profitable to add more stuff for reasons they only know. Get use to it and accept the car for what it is or go look elsewhere.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2015, 03:59 PM   #44
technik330
Captain
Rep
Drives: STi

This car isn't going to please everyone anymore than it would apologize to anyone, because it doesn't need to.

I've got to include myself in this, largely because I'm not shy when it comes to speaking up, but we've really got to stop bitching about what this car 'doesn't' have anymore.

We've literally beat the mirror convo to death, M3adjuster - don't swat me bro, and a long list of other items about the M2.

Personally, I'm going to wait to see what the LCI M2 brings; I don't expect a significant set of changes, but if I'm leaving no car payments land it'll have to be for a damn good reason.
'18 Subaru STi Type RA #350
'19 Honda Civic Type R #31191
Appreciate 0