BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M Performance Parts for M2 Competition (part #, install hours, etc.)

08-08-2018, 05:44 PM   #243
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
I found some lightweight batteries that Porsche owners use. They weigh about 11lbs and cost around $700 but the problem is nobody knows how to code the ECU so that the you won't get any flags, warnings due to battery management system (BMS) being disconnected. If you want to learn more about this, check out this thread on the F80 forum.

Removing 50lbs from the rear with a simple battery change might affect traction and slightly change weight distribution. My goal is to combine the lightweight battery (-50lbs) with CF hood (-20lbs) to balance things out little bit. It still means more weight reduction from the rear but better than not removing anything from the front. Or maybe find another battery that provides less weight savings (e.g. 30lbs)
The members on Porsche forums have installed antigravity battery with no problems. Before anyone received their batteries, numeous people stated there would be problems and programming would be needed. So far so good, with many installations. Have you tried contacting antigravity? They might have firsthand knowledge installing them on modern BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 05:51 PM   #244
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
The members on Porsche forums have installed antigravity battery with no problems. Before anyone received their batteries, numeous people stated there would be problems and programming would be needed. So far so good, with many installations. Have you tried contacting antigravity? They might have firsthand knowledge installing them on modern BMW's.
I did and their president replied back saying they haven't tested these on BMWs with IBS (the plug on the battery that the car connects to). He said Porsche still uses batteries without these intelligent systems on their cars so that's how it's plug-n-play for Porsches. For modern BMWs, this battery swap would require coding out the IBS or some other solution. If you look at the thread that I referenced above, some people get warnings, errors in the dash even after replacing their battery with another OEM one. The M Performance concept M2 at GFOS couple weeks ago had a lithium battery weighing 30lbs. I wanna know if BMW will ever offer it anytime soon as an M performance part.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 12:40 AM   #245
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
I did and their president replied back saying they haven't tested these on BMWs with IBS (the plug on the battery that the car connects to). He said Porsche still uses batteries without these intelligent systems on their cars so that's how it's plug-n-play for Porsches. For modern BMWs, this battery swap would require coding out the IBS or some other solution. If you look at the thread that I referenced above, some people get warnings, errors in the dash even after replacing their battery with another OEM one. The M Performance concept M2 at GFOS couple weeks ago had a lithium battery weighing 30lbs. I wanna know if BMW will ever offer it anytime soon as an M performance part.
Doesn’t seem to difficult. You need to register the battery and set to new battery AH rating.

What registration operation performs:
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...68&postcount=9

Diy to register and code new battery(several options):
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1338304

Also check out the CSL/Mini battery. It was used quite often in the E92 M3 days. It is 55ah and weighs 33lbs(19lbs less M2 batt), cheap too. Although not the savings of the antigravity battery.
https://miniparts.checkeredflag.com/...SABEgLBHPD_BwE

Last edited by M3_WC; 08-09-2018 at 01:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4861.50
      08-09-2018, 04:12 AM   #246
Alec02
Private First Class
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: M2C SO MT

Quote:
I found some lightweight batteries that Porsche owners use. They weigh about 11lbs and cost around $700 but the problem is nobody knows how to code the ECU so that the you won't get any flags, warnings due to battery management system (BMS) being disconnected. If you want to learn more about this, check out this thread on the F80 forum.

Removing 50lbs from the rear with a simple battery change might affect traction and slightly change weight distribution. My goal is to combine the lightweight battery (-50lbs) with CF hood (-20lbs) to balance things out little bit. It still means more weight reduction from the rear but better than not removing anything from the front. Or maybe find another battery that provides less weight savings (e.g. 30lbs)
What do you think about this one?

https://www.lightweight-titanauspuff...mw-m2-f87.html
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 04:36 AM   #247
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:

I understand that the M2C is a bit of a porker - and so many of us are trying to see where we can reduce weight. What you've mentioned here is what I've been wondering all along - we can't simply just remove weight wherever we want. Take for example, if we change the trunk to CR, we remove the OPF, we change the battery to a lightweight type - what's that going to do to an already front biased weight distribution? If anything, I would have thought carbon fiber hood would be a good placed to start in an attempt to achieve 50/50. Then look under the hood to see what else we could replace to become lighter.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, just thinking out loud here.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 05:30 AM   #248
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkatron View Post
I understand that the M2C is a bit of a porker - and so many of us are trying to see where we can reduce weight. What you've mentioned here is what I've been wondering all along - we can't simply just remove weight wherever we want. Take for example, if we change the trunk to CR, we remove the OPF, we change the battery to a lightweight type - what's that going to do to an already front biased weight distribution? If anything, I would have thought carbon fiber hood would be a good placed to start in an attempt to achieve 50/50. Then look under the hood to see what else we could replace to become lighter.

Always drive alone and put something in the trunk at the right hand side of the car (In case you have a LHD).... By far the best option to balance the weight distribution and don't have major excessive weight onboard!

MR
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 05:37 AM   #249
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Always drive alone and put something in the trunk at the right hand side of the car (In case you have a LHD).... By far the best option to balance the weight distribution and don't have major excessive weight onboard!

MR
Then the 25/25/25/25 weight distribution will be off
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 10:49 AM   #250
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkatron View Post

It is no different than previous BMW's. Going back to when I owned two new E46 M3's, I and many others all tried to cut weight. Its what you do when you modify cars, all sports cars not just BMW's. My buddy just installed lightweight battery in his Cayman. This not unique to M2C. In reality the M2C is lighter than the M4 with the same engine, much heavier brakes, and no lightweight carbon components. So there is a lot of potential. Losing weight is a balance, trying to keep the overall weight balance relatively close to stock. In the end, a good quality set of coilovers and a corner balance done by an experienced shop...will dial the car into near handling perfection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post

MR
I know you have lots of jokes lately.

But to seriously answer the question. A corner balance should be done with either you in the driver seat or weights placed in driver seat.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      08-09-2018, 10:53 AM   #251
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec02 View Post
Hard to say. Not many specs listed.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 10:54 AM   #252
Free Spirit
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

After sales MP carbon fiber roof anyone ?

Carbon Fiber Roof - outer panel popped out? https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1080360
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 10:59 AM   #253
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyF87 View Post

Carbon Fiber Roof - outer panel popped out? https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1080360
That is just the roof molding, not part of the actual carbon roof. Looks like one of the clips failed.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2018, 11:02 AM   #254
Free Spirit
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyF87 View Post

That is just the roof molding, not part of the actual carbon roof. Looks like one of the clips failed.
Well now we see even with a factory install, there is still room for defects.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 04:38 PM   #255
Protatomonster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Kia Stinger 2018

Quote:
So far only the existing parts are available. The new parts have yet to be released(grill, splitter, hood, trunk, roof, exhaust, etc).
[PICTURE]
does anyone by chance know if the Electronic Steering Wheel is only for DCT or if that works with the manual transmission as well?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 08:29 AM   #256
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Did I miss it somewhere, but what is the part number for the M2C CF front splitter?
      08-31-2018, 08:50 AM   #257
Chwali
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 08:53 AM   #258
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chwali View Post
Thank you!
      09-01-2018, 09:29 AM   #259
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT Build Week 33

Possible stupid question alert. Does the CF roof come with a different black antenna fin? I don't see different part numbers listed out like the giant CF wing, but it certainly looks black to me in the small picture in the M perf PDF list.
      09-02-2018, 09:46 AM   #260
UltraMagneticAL
Meh
Rep
Drives: M3CS & Cayman S

Garage List
2019 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleinacus View Post
Possible stupid question alert. Does the CF roof come with a different black antenna fin? I don't see different part numbers listed out like the giant CF wing, but it certainly looks black to me in the small picture in the M perf PDF list.
it will need to be painted, most likely. that's what i did with my cf roof
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 09:59 AM   #261
UltraMagneticAL
Meh
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protatomonster View Post
Quote:
So far only the existing parts are available. The new parts have yet to be released(grill, splitter, hood, trunk, roof, exhaust, etc).
[PICTURE]
does anyone by chance know if the Electronic Steering Wheel is only for DCT or if that works with the manual transmission as well?
i have it working on my base 6mt. install isn't hard if you have the proper documentation and are decent at wiring. the hardware part is really easy.

unfortunately the wheel doesn't come with the install instructions, only the set up booklet. I've saved the instructions i found though

https://drive.google.com/file/d/146H...w?usp=drivesdk
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 10:03 AM   #262
Protatomonster
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMagneticAL View Post
Quote:
Quote:
[PICTURE]
i have it working on my base 6mt. install isn't hard if you have the proper documentation and are decent at wiring. the hardware part is really easy.

unfortunately the wheel doesn't come with the install instructions, only the set up booklet. I've saved the instructions i found though

Oh awesome thank you so much, do you think it was well worth the price of the wheel?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 10:06 AM   #263
Protatomonster
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[PICTURE]

Oh awesome thank you so much, do you think it was well worth the price of the wheel?
And are there paddle shifters on the wheel? Wondering if that would look odd.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 10:16 AM   #264
UltraMagneticAL
Meh
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[PICTURE]

it comes in handy on track. i turned off asd, and under the helmet, everything seems muted, so the rev display helps. paired with awron, i see everything i want to know. it's really grippy with driving gloves, but not that nice in daily conditions with bare hands. i plan to transfer it over to my m2c

Name:  tixhr7568406343667923684.jpg
Views: 1321
Size:  1.49 MB
Appreciate 0