BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2C - Share your Journey

12-30-2020, 10:24 AM   #2553
CKr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1998 E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Do you know what this field is responsible for, and why it doesn't need to be modified?
Unfortunately I don't. I can only see that this setting is not modified when removing no-glare high beam and VLD decoding from the vehicle order or when coding FEM_BODY to Euro-spec. If you're curious, here are the diffs:

Differences between US and Euro FEM_BODY module

Differences between US and Euro FLE (headlight) module

Edit: Like Poochie mentions, it's possible the lights are working as expected and are simply more basic than what we've seen in the videos. There are some slight differences in the way BMW describes the feature between F22/F23/F87 vs the newer F44 Gran coupe with the newer LED headlights, which I find interesting.

Last edited by CKr; 12-30-2020 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
BigKutta3910.50
      12-30-2020, 10:57 AM   #2554
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

This is a very old story. Why must people beat a dead horse.

My 2019 M2 Competition only has 3 LEDs in each headlight.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...459620&page=11

German regulators would never allow a vehicle lighting system that blinds drivers from behind. Especially when there are cars coming from behind at 140 mph.

The US headlights are different than Euro spec.
Appreciate 1
BigKutta3910.50
      12-30-2020, 12:24 PM   #2555
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The Glare Free High Beam feature works as it's supposed to, once coded but the fact is, in practice, the feature is not without its flaws and limitations (see below).

So my advice to anyone who chooses to code this feature is try to be contentious of other motorists and use this feature with the appropriate discretion. It should go without saying but high beams does not need to switched on, with every single piece of nighttime driving. They should be reserved for when only necessary, if for only to avoid triggering any form of road rage.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-34878016.html
Its unfortunate that this feature is heavily marketed (EU) but is no where near prime time. Just based on my experience alone, and perhaps I need to give it more time, I'm not really comfortable potentially dazzling people unintentionally. Lets see how this goes over the next few days...

I do see VLD working and its pretty cool.
That's unfortunate GFHB not working as you expected but like I suggested before, only use it sparingly or when necessary.

I am very contentious driver, residing in a well-lit city and when I switch the high beams on, they works fine for me. I can literarily see the beam pattern move away or shut off one side of the headlight, as I approach an uncoming vehicle. I have absolutely no doubt it's operating as expected and I honestly never been flashed by anyone.

And before everyone here starts confusing you, the coding I provided is accurate and the headlight hardware are all the same, accross the board. This was tried and confirm before many times to be effective. Had the coding been incorrect or the vehicle lacked the proper hardware to support this feature, the vehicle would thrown an error code to indicate the invalid coding or hardware mismatch. That's how BMW system is made up, even if the interior cabin lights are mis-coded, the vehicle lets you very well know.

Maybe the fact that you've lower the speed threshold of GFHB activation is too low for feature to function, as designed. I would play around with the setting before I dismiss it outright as ineffective.
Appreciate 2
BigKutta3910.50
///AVM2531.00
      12-30-2020, 12:29 PM   #2556
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Quote:
Thanks for the update and the humble credit. I'm happy to assist and bounce feedback off your experience, so the pleasure is mines. . . . So, first of all, I want to address the suspicion that the US-spec headlights hardware are different from its ROW counterpart and is not capable of properly recoding this GFHB feature. . . So my advice to anyone who chooses to code this feature is try to be contentious of other motorists and use this feature with the appropriate discretion. . .
Poochie

Thank you!

I do not understand most of it. Honestly, just satisfied with what I have. . .

///AVM
Hmm..

You: For I am just a simple, humble man, contented with what I already have now..

Also you: I just bought a 90k G80 with Laser headlights bitches, I'm about to dazzle all you peasants..

j/k
Appreciate 3
BigKutta3910.50
///AVM2531.00
JCZ51483.50
      12-30-2020, 12:33 PM   #2557
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The Glare Free High Beam feature works as it's supposed to, once coded but the fact is, in practice, the feature is not without its flaws and limitations (see below).

So my advice to anyone who chooses to code this feature is try to be contentious of other motorists and use this feature with the appropriate discretion. It should go without saying but high beams does not need to switched on, with every single piece of nighttime driving. They should be reserved for when only necessary, if for only to avoid triggering any form of road rage.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-34878016.html
Its unfortunate that this feature is heavily marketed (EU) but is no where near prime time. Just based on my experience alone, and perhaps I need to give it more time, I'm not really comfortable potentially dazzling people unintentionally. Lets see how this goes over the next few days...

I do see VLD working and its pretty cool.
That's unfortunate GFHB not working as you expected but like I suggested before, only use it sparingly or when necessary.

I am very contentious driver, residing in a well-lit city and when I switch the high beams on, they works fine for me. I can literarily see the beam pattern move away or shut off one side of the headlight, as I approach an uncoming vehicle. I have absolutely no doubt it's operating as expected and I honestly never been flashed by anyone.

And before everyone here starts confusing you, the coding I provided is accurate and the headlight hardware are all the same, accross the board. This was tried and confirm before many times to be effective. Had the coding been incorrect or the vehicle lacked the proper hardware to support this feature, the vehicle would thrown an error code to indicate the invalid coding or hardware mismatch. That's how BMW system is made up, even if the interior cabin lights are mis-coded, the vehicle lets you very well know.

Maybe the fact that you've lower the speed threshold of GFHB activation is too low for feature to function, as designed. I would play around with the setting before I dismiss it outright as ineffective.
I have no doubt of your findings and coding guidance. I will however take your advice and lower the speed setting back to default.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 12:40 PM   #2558
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I believe the EU and US LED headlight hardware in the M2 have different LED configurations. That's why Anti-Dazzle doesn't work properly on our US spec cars. There are photos to prove this fact.
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...459620&page=11
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 12:55 PM   #2559
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Quote:

I believe the EU and US LED headlight hardware in the M2 have different LED configurations. That's why Anti-Dazzle doesn't work properly on our US spec cars. There are photos to prove this fact.
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...20&page=11

No, sorry but that's just an assumption; the overall design of lighting system are identical in design and operation. The hardware is different for some other models but specifically the 2 Series, the underlying headlights are all the same.

If you move towards the end of that thread, you're see my heated debate on the subject, where no one was able to prove with any certainty that the lighting system are different between region, just a bunch of unsubstantiated fear-mongering.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24555550

And logically, there are many markers to support that they are the same in design and operation, like my own four eyes, for instance..

If you have some tangible evidence of this claim to prove me wrong, I have a very open mind, so please share what you have and I'll be happy to alter my outlook.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2531.00
      12-30-2020, 01:03 PM   #2560
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
No, sorry but that's just an assumption; the overall design of lighting system are identical in design and operation. The hardware is different for some other models but specifically the 2 Series, the underlying headlights are all the same.

If you move towards the end of that thread, you're see my heated debate on the subject, where no one was able to prove with any certainty that the lighting system are different between region, just a bunch of unsubstantiated fear-mongering.

And logically, there are many markers to support that they are the same in design and operation, like my own four eyes, for instance..

If you have some tangible evidence of this claim to prove me wrong, I have a very open mind, so please share what you have and I'll be happy to alter my outlook.
Well, my 2019 with Executive package has only 3 LEDs. That is not consistent with headlights that are able to perform Anti-Dazzle properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 01:51 PM   #2561
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Hmm..

You: For I am just a simple, humble man, contented with what I already have now..

Also you: I just bought a 90k G80 with Laser headlights bitches, I'm about to dazzle all you peasants..

j/k
Poochie

If you recall, I did not even know what laser headlights were until YOU pointed out to me that the G80 has them in some limited capacity in the U.S. compared to the E.U. version. . . point being, I am only getting the G80 because JCZ5 dazzled me into getting one.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 02:09 PM   #2562
Poochie
United_States
Rep

M2C - Share your Journey

Quote:
Quote:

Well, my 2019 with Executive package has only 3 LEDs. That is not consistent with headlights that are able to perform Anti-Dazzle properly.
So how many LEDs do you believe it really needs to simple shut the high beam on/off or direct the stepper motors to pivot the lighting away from upcoming drivers?

Like I mention before, logically, BMW is not going to spend the resources to design two drastically different headlights versions, just to merely add/eliminate one feature, that's not even opted on all vehicles (no "auto high beam" option), when they can simple bridle it via coding.

Look, let's just agree to disagree on this one.. We're just going to end up going around in circles, to the same point we started, with just assumptions without supporting evidence.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2531.00
      12-30-2020, 02:14 PM   #2563
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Hmm..

j/k
Poochie

If you recall, I did not even know what laser headlights were until YOU pointed out to me that the G80 has them in some limited capacity in the U.S. compared to the E.U. version. . . point being, I am only getting the G80 because JCZ5 dazzled me into getting one.

///AVM
I'm just messing with you, I know you where you stand on the subject. And yes, in that vehicle, the US market are allotted sort of a watered-down version of the original, due to regulations regarding the use of lasers and the actual daytime running lights within the headlights being the color blue but more on that later.

Appreciate 1
///AVM2531.00
      12-30-2020, 03:10 PM   #2564
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
So how many LEDs do you believe it really needs to simple shut the high beam on/off or direct the stepper motors to pivot the lighting away from upcoming drivers?
This quote from you indicated that you witnessed 4 leds in the US spec headlights. I don't know what car you were looking at but my car has 3.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=229

It appears that at a later point you had decided that the headlight specs were indeed different.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...25&postcount=9
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 03:15 PM   #2565
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
This quote from you indicated that you witnessed 4 leds in the US spec headlights. I don't know what car you were looking at but my car has 3.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...;postcount=229

It appears that at a later point you had decided that the headlight specs were were indeed different.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...38;postcount=9
WoW, nice work Sherlock..

I see you're not going to let this go, so I'm going to just throw in the towel.

You win, headlights are different, I have no idea what I'm taking about and just was merely spewing hot air.. Happy now..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 03:38 PM   #2566
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm just messing with you, I know you where you stand on the subject. And yes, in that vehicle, the US market are allotted sort of a watered-down version of the original, due to regulations regarding the use of lasers and the actual daytime running lights within the headlights being the color blue but more on that later.
Poochie, really cool!!!

The first video suggested to me that laser sources are more efficient than LED and other traditional sources of light AND can be easily transformed into useable light . . . overall, simply better than LED and other traditional light sources.

If so, why would this be limited in application in U.S.? Also, what are the limitations? For example, you indicated the U.S. G80 will not have full function capabilities activated compared to E.U. release.

The second video was simply cool as hell!! I mean, I never imagined 'lights' could be so complex in form and function. I particularly enjoyed the part where the 'lighting system' could detect the size of pathways (e.g., whether big enough or not for car to pass through).

So, I am assuming the G80 is going to be the same as the F87 insomuch whatever function is possible is not limited by BMW via the hardware, rather, through the software. In other words, Bimmercode will be able to easily convert my limited function G80 into a full function appliance . . . with your assistance, of course?

This is why I asked a short time back that you get fully up-to-date for my G80 needs.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 03:40 PM   #2567
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

My intent is not to prove anyone wrong but rather to not promote misinformation. People use these forums to make decisions about modding etc.

BTW, a strange thing happened at the top of the forum page over replies icon, it showed up as AVM. Are you twin brothers?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 05:52 PM   #2568
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My intent is not to prove anyone wrong but rather to not promote misinformation. People use these forums to make decisions about modding etc.

BTW, a strange thing happened at the top of the forum page over replies icon, it showed up as AVM. Are you twin brothers?
Alps

The last thing I want anyone to feel is they cannot share their views and insights in this thread.

I hope you and Poochie can find a way to continue to amicably discuss the matter. We all stand to learn and gain from good discussion.

As far as relations go . . . I have never met Poochie in person and, as far as I know, we do not share a mother or birthdate.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 07:47 PM   #2569
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Alps

The last thing I want anyone to feel is they cannot share their views and insights in this thread.

I hope you and Poochie can find a way to continue to amicably discuss the matter. We all stand to learn and gain from good discussion.

As far as relations go . . . I have never met Poochie in person and, as far as I know, we do not share a mother or birthdate.

///AVM
I'm done with that subject, trust me, I've been down this road before, it's a dead-end. However, I will reply to you, since we're apparently long lost bothers and all

I don't care if I'm wrong, I'm just an anonymous screen name on a message board but if someone is going to accuse my avatar of spreading misinformation, the bare minimum I ask is they do some actual research and please share a reputable source of their claim. That's all, it's a very small request.

If I'm wrong (which I'm positively not BTW) and one could provide some tangible proof of this, I'm more than happy to humble myself and course-correct my beliefs.

As a wiseman once said; it's not what you know but what you can prove.. I live by and practice that phase; it keeps things simple and accurate.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 07:50 PM   #2570
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'm done with that subject, trust me, I've been down this road before, it's a dead-end. However, I will reply to you, since we're apparently long lost bothers and all

I don't care if I'm wrong, I'm just an anonymous screen name on a message board but if someone is going to accuse my avatar of spreading misinformation, the bare minimum I ask is they do some actual research and please share a reputable source of their claim. That's all, it's a very small request.

If I'm wrong (which I'm positively not BTW) and one could provide some tangible proof of this, I'm more than happy to humble myself and course-correct my beliefs.

As a wiseman once said; it's not what you know but what you can prove.. I live by and practice that phase; it keeps things simple and accurate.
Blah Blah Blah
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 08:20 PM   #2571
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 12:57 AM   #2572
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Bit early since we a day ahead of you guys (Land down under / Australia)

Happy new year to all my M2 people! was fun sharing the process of ordering to delivery to my driving experiences with you guys.

May 2021 be a better year for all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
///AVM2531.00
CFO280.00
M2Crew220.50
      12-31-2020, 02:00 AM   #2573
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Good on ya! Enjoy that beauty and Happy New Year Down Under.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2020, 06:38 AM   #2574
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

The world is upside down right now. I think we might all agree on that.

One thing I personally will not tolerate is censorship.

To be clear, Bimmerpost is the best car forum on the internet. Great forum members make the forum great and I really enjoy sharing the enthusiasm.

Unfortunately, Bimmerpost has increasingly taken it upon itself to censor members and content.

I thought the best approach for me, at this time, is to step away from something that is causing me angst. We shall see if Bimmerpost continues to censor . . . or support freedom of expression.

So, for now, I will sign off. I will check my PMs if anyone wishes to communicate with me directly.

Best

///AVM

Last edited by ///AVM; 12-31-2020 at 07:20 AM..
Appreciate 2
Poochie9107.50