BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Manual or DCT

03-03-2020, 10:58 AM   #221
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

"Long live the handbrake."
Yes, this is true even for the 6mt manual. It will only hold a steep hill for a few seconds, then it will let you go. If you don't know how to use a clutch very well you're still in trouble on a steep hill.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 07:36 PM   #222
NE_M2C
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Hey all,

I've been lurking around here as I eagerly await the arrival of my car in the coming weeks - hopefully. Interesting place to drop my first post but I thought I'd share my experience.

In late February I was able to rent an M2C DCT for a week in the LA area. I put 1,000 miles on it and drove through every experience from Cayons to awful LA traffic. I've been driving manual for 12-years straight and this was my first DCT experience. From a pure performance standpoint, it certainly delivered everything you read about. It is pretty awesome, honestly.

That being said, I found the day-to-day driving to be pretty bad. Frankly, I think the DCT feels really clumsy around town, in traffic, navigating parking lots, etc. I actually cannot believe folks on this forum claim traffic/daily driving to be a reason to get the DCT! I find that to be quite the opposite!

After a week, I was never so sure I wanted a manual. Would a manual come with all the purist benefits? Of course. It is just that, I was genuinely surprised how much I was swayed by what I felt is genuine day-to-day driveability.

I wanted to post this experience given how many owners cite daily driving as a plus for DCT. I think there is an argument to be made that the 6MT will actually provide you a more forgiving daily experience.

There is no wrong decision, only personal preference! Fingers crossed that I'll have my HS 6MT in a few weeks!
Appreciate 1
Bumpinjeep5666.00
      03-23-2020, 07:42 PM   #223
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
I think you summed up the pros and cons of the DCT. It is pretty incredible and quick 95% of the time, and clunky in some situations. After driving it for 3 months, I find the annoyances you list to be minor and seldom.

I also want to add that the annoyances mostly occur in S+ and when the trans/shift speed is set at 3 (quickest). Otherwise at level 2, and in S or Efficient, the DCT is great. But this is because there are DCT characteristics you have to get used to, because BMW designed it to act like a manual, like rolling back, not moving forward when you release the brake, etc. So an auto user may give it more gas than needed and get the jerky clunky feeling.

Last edited by BigKutta; 03-24-2020 at 07:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 09:29 PM   #224
beanfritter
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca88 View Post
It is pretty awesome, honestly.

That being said, I found the day-to-day driving to be pretty bad.
I'm about a week in to owning a DCT M2C and this mirrors my experience. It is indeed awesome. But... I find the car awkward to drive slowly, particularly in reverse. It makes strange noises and the car can lurch when it downshifts from 2-1 as I am slowing to a stop. If I am not heavy on the throttle it quickly makes its way to 6th or 7th in situations where I would probably have it in 4th.

I have only ever owned manual transmission cars before this, so I recognize that it will take some getting used to.

I'd had my eye on both the RS3 and M2 (then later, M2C) ever since tuning my GTI and realizing I would never be content with slow cars again. When I bought the GTI, my requirements were manual transmission, fun to drive, and small... in that order. The manual thing was non-negotiable and the reason I ended up with a GTI rather than what would have been my third Accord.

I figured that when I bought a sportier car I would go with the Audi if I wanted a dual clutch and the BMW if I wanted a manual. They are both at about the same price point with similar specs. Turns out I felt no connection to the Audi. So why did I buy the M2 with a DCT?

1. I tested the DCT at an all-day BMW event where I got to drive the cars hard for a couple hours. Tested a 6MT (that I knew I wouldn't buy -- I wanted a specific color) at a dealer a few days later and was unimpressed with it. I guess I didn't push it very hard. It wasn't warmed up, I knew about the 1200 mile / 5500 RPM break in thing, wasn't going to buy that particular car, wanted to be respectful, etc. So a pretty unfair comparison.

2. The prospect of punching the throttle and blasting from 0-60 without having to shift manually sounded like fun. Turns out it is fun!

3. To try something new.

4. Decided to keep the GTI. I can still shift manually whenever I want... just not in the M2.

If I could order my car over again I would still go with the DCT... but I think my next car will have three pedals. It will be interesting for me to see if my attitude here changes as I spend more time in my M2.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 11:12 PM   #225
OGM2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 AW DCT MPS,N180 4Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca88 View Post
Hey all,

I've been lurking around here as I eagerly await the arrival of my car in the coming weeks - hopefully. Interesting place to drop my first post but I thought I'd share my experience.

In late February I was able to rent an M2C DCT for a week in the LA area. I put 1,000 miles on it and drove through every experience from Cayons to awful LA traffic. I've been driving manual for 12-years straight and this was my first DCT experience. From a pure performance standpoint, it certainly delivered everything you read about. It is pretty awesome, honestly.

That being said, I found the day-to-day driving to be pretty bad. Frankly, I think the DCT feels really clumsy around town, in traffic, navigating parking lots, etc. I actually cannot believe folks on this forum claim traffic/daily driving to be a reason to get the DCT! I find that to be quite the opposite!

After a week, I was never so sure I wanted a manual. Would a manual come with all the purist benefits? Of course. It is just that, I was genuinely surprised how much I was swayed by what I felt is genuine day-to-day driveability.

I wanted to post this experience given how many owners cite daily driving as a plus for DCT. I think there is an argument to be made that the 6MT will actually provide you a more forgiving daily experience.

There is no wrong decision, only personal preference! Fingers crossed that I'll have my HS 6MT in a few weeks!
It’s really only clumsy going back and forth between 1st and reverse when parking. It’s all in the throttle control in 1st and 2nd specifically similar to a manual with the clutch let all the way out and not having the addition of the slipping of the clutch to smooth it out. Once you get used to that it’s not clumsy at all but more “mechanical”, not to mention faster than a traditional auto and manual which I love. The best thing about DCT is you have the option of going full manual, full auto, or a hybrid of both. If your a diehard manual guy good for you. Just want to point out the facts
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 12:20 AM   #226
Davil
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 21 Vantage, 18 Vantage, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
I think you summed up the pros and cons of the DCT. It is pretty incredible and quick 95% of the time, and clunky in some situations. After driving it for 3 months, I find the annoyances you list to be minor and seldom.
It's not a great auto but it's a better manual than manual.

I suspect this is one of the reasons BMW are replacing it with an auto in the next model. People think they are buying an automatic and end up disappointed.

Sucks for people that love the DCT. I'll be back to a manual should that time come.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 03:49 AM   #227
UNRL
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post

I suspect this is one of the reasons BMW are replacing it with an auto in the next model. People think they are buying an automatic and end up disappointed.

Sucks for people that love the DCT. I'll be back to a manual should that time come.
Honestly the choice to go back to a traditional auto from the DCT is a huge step back imo. It may upshift quicker but it cant even compare when trying to fire off 3-4 downshifts in a super quick succession. As clunky as the DCT can be sometimes it is so much more responsive.
Appreciate 1
Davil6601.50
      03-24-2020, 06:42 AM   #228
NE_M2C
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanfritter View Post
I

I have only ever owned manual transmission cars before this, so I recognize that it will take some getting used to.

I'd had my eye on both the RS3 and M2 (then later, M2C) ever since tuning my GTI and realizing I would never be content with slow cars again. When I bought the GTI, my requirements were manual transmission, fun to drive, and small... in that order. The manual thing was non-negotiable and the reason I ended up with a GTI rather than what would have been my third Accord.
My man! I'm coming from a MK5 GTI (Stage 2+) myself. I would have loved to keep it in conjunction with the M but unfortunately, the timing belt went as I was cruising down the highway in February. I got 160k out of it, so I can't complain. Though this replacement timing belt sure went earlier than expected!

There is no wrong answer here, just what you like/want. I just wanted to share my experience "daily-ing" the DCT. Like I said, performance-wise awesome. Daily, it does have its quirks that folks should be aware of.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2020, 06:58 AM   #229
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

After 18 months with the DCT, I can agree that it's quirky compared to an auto, but it is also something you get used to. Slight changes to what you ask the car to do overtime and it becomes the new normal. Hop into a normal ZF8 car, and that suddenly seems a bit weird.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 07:50 AM   #230
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

BMW contrary to Porsche stopped evolving it's DCT and it's not a surprise coming from a company who focuses on sales and pushing the most cars possible with little care about keeping the cars core attributes, M cars were more of a showcase/halo models but became with time good $$ revenue and now they are becoming more ''sellable'' with big hp and easy transmissions.

Porsche know there PDK helps make the character of the car and they have much more clients who track occasionally and they know it. A Macan with a ZF8 would feel even more like a Q5.

I'm keeping my DCT M2, they will probably not come back.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 08:05 AM   #231
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:

I agree, if you think its an auto you will hate it. BMW has done a great job giving it the characteristics of a manual.
Appreciate 1
Davil6601.50
      03-24-2020, 08:08 AM   #232
Al1969
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Had both

Manual😍
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 08:31 AM   #233
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Quote:

I agree, if you think its an auto you will hate it. BMW has done a great job giving it the characteristics of a manual.
Exactly, you have to keep in mind it is an automated manual
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 08:49 AM   #234
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

I tests drove an E92 M3 DCT and tried again when I test drove on OG M2 DCT.

I think part of it was I just wasn't used to it and didn't know how to properly operate it, but I also found it a bit clunky. I'm sure it's fun when you learn how to drive it, and I can see the appeal of having a hybrid transmission...options are never a bad thing.

But at the end of the day, my heart is still with the 6MT. I still enjoy the engagement and forever searching for that perfect shift. There is a connection with the car that I couldn't find in the DCT....it felt artificial to me.
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2020, 09:48 AM   #235
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
Code in GTS DCT and it gets a lot smoother.
Appreciate 1
ChrisK4454.00
      03-24-2020, 10:03 AM   #236
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy's Dodge View Post
I tests drove an E92 M3 DCT and tried again when I test drove on OG M2 DCT.

I think part of it was I just wasn't used to it and didn't know how to properly operate it, but I also found it a bit clunky. I'm sure it's fun when you learn how to drive it, and I can see the appeal of having a hybrid transmission...options are never a bad thing.

But at the end of the day, my heart is still with the 6MT. I still enjoy the engagement and forever searching for that perfect shift. There is a connection with the car that I couldn't find in the DCT....it felt artificial to me.
I have owned:

e92 M3 DCT
f87 M2 DCT
f87 M2C DCT

They finally got the software almost perfect in the M2C.

You will never get the same connection from DCT that you get with a MT, but the latest DCT software makes it the best of both worlds.

I'm glad we have options - when BMW nukes the DCT, it will be sad day.

Back to MT!
      03-25-2020, 07:57 AM   #237
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

I test drove a DCT before ordering a 6MT. The DCT is definitely sporty and a great trans. But all dual clutch gearboxes suffer from low speed "awkwardness"... save PDK from what I hear. I'm sure it's the main reason why non enthusiasts preffer a regular unit. There is no arguing that the ZF unit is a better all-around gearbox.
      03-25-2020, 07:31 PM   #238
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by f31mtl View Post
I test drove a DCT before ordering a 6MT. The DCT is definitely sporty and a great trans. But all dual clutch gearboxes suffer from low speed "awkwardness"... save PDK from what I hear. I'm sure it's the main reason why non enthusiasts preffer a regular unit. There is no arguing that the ZF unit is a better all-around gearbox.
PDK manual mode is, by far, the best manual I have ever owned. I could go on for five paragraphs, but I'll just leave it at that. . .

Since the DCT M2C's I've driven weren't mine, I have never in good conscience been able to wring one out. Still, I'm confident it is superb as well.

///AVM

Last edited by ///AVM; 03-26-2020 at 07:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 05:09 PM   #239
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

It was a hard choice for me when i decided to get my car. There are days for sure where i wish i could leave it in Auto mode and just only step on the gas to get the car to fire down the freeway.

However the few times that i do drive some fun twisties, theres nothing better to me than doing the full range of motions of shifting from second to third and then letting loose. Something about it just seems so much more....fun.

I compare this to my girlfriends GTI, which is running the DSG, which as we all know is VW's DCT. And while banging through the gears in the twisties using the paddle shifter is fun....i always felt like something was missing.
Appreciate 1
natmad674.50
      03-26-2020, 05:38 PM   #240
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
. . .while banging through the gears in the twisties using the paddle shifter is fun . . . I always felt like something was missing.
XX

I am with you . . . I find minimal enjoyment with the paddles. I need a shifter.

My 718 PDK shifter fulfills my manual shifting impulses marvelously. I do not miss the clutch a bit, and the ability to ‘power shift’ with PDK manual mode is amazing. . . as I said in prior post, I could go on for many paragraphs describing why this MT fanboy is a full PDK manual mode convert.

Then there is the new 911 PDK shifters . . .

///AVM
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 05:43 PM   #241
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
It was a hard choice for me when i decided to get my car. There are days for sure where i wish i could leave it in Auto mode and just only step on the gas to get the car to fire down the freeway.

However the few times that i do drive some fun twisties, theres nothing better to me than doing the full range of motions of shifting from second to third and then letting loose. Something about it just seems so much more....fun.

I compare this to my girlfriends GTI, which is running the DSG, which as we all know is VW's DCT. And while banging through the gears in the twisties using the paddle shifter is fun....i always felt like something was missing.
Its a hard decision. I spent the first 20 years of my driving, with just manuals (don't ask me about the manuals I learned on - I'll have to post pics). I moved on for other reasons (family cars/dual drivers etc etc), but thought the M2 would be back to manual for me. I'm glad I didn't because I'm not sure I want to row gears all the time, every time. Plus the DCT is special, and provides a lot of thrill and driver engagement, even in the twisties given how fast the shifts are. If the ZF was the only alternative, I would have gone manual. Do I miss mashing the pedal once in a while, sure? But don't see myself doing it all the time anymore. Its really a personal choice, comes down to what one wants. The M2 itself is the same car, and I assure you that 90% of the joy is the same, regardless of transmission choice.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2020, 05:45 PM   #242
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
XX

I am with you . . . I find minimal enjoyment with the paddles. I need a shifter.

My 718 PDK shifter fulfills my manual shifting impulses marvelously. I do not miss the clutch a bit, and the ability to ‘power shift’ with PDK manual mode is amazing. . . as I said in prior post, I could go on for many paragraphs describing why this MT fanboy is a full PDK manual mode convert.

Then there is the new 911 PDK shifters . . .

///AVM
Why is the PDK shifter better than the M2 shifter? Shape? I ask because I like using the M2C shifter a lot and it does the job

BTW, the 911 shifter above is awesome looking
Appreciate 0