BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Manual or DCT

03-02-2020, 11:18 AM   #199
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by f31mtl View Post
Both gearboxes are great, but DCT is an automatic. Get over it. I'm not sure why some people can't admit this.
In my m3 it doesn't automatically do much except avoid stalling when you're pulling away from a stop. If you just step on the gas you'll never get out of first gear and eventually hit fuel cutoff after redline.
Appreciate 1
ChrisK4455.00
      03-02-2020, 11:36 AM   #200
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conissah View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
If, on the other hand, a driver's desire is to control shift points and where they live in the power band – as is my primary interest – then I respectfully disagree with your statement. DCT manual mode provides every but the ability of a true MT in stated regard.

///AVM
True, but even torque converter trannies can do this now. A pull of the left paddle or a push on the lever, and it's an instant down change. I agree that the BMW DCT, and even PDK, are automatics in the sense that they shift for you, but modern autos are light years ahead of autos from a decade ago, and that's what a lot of people don't quite get. I haven't driven a BMW DCT car, but the PDK is simply sublime, it's absolutely fantastic, by far the best auto I have ever driven with. Coming up to a corner on the brakes, it knows what gear I wanted to be in, downshifted for me, and was ready for me to get on the power exiting. The shifts were instantaneous, it quite literally blew my mind. Be that as it may, I don't think I'd ever pick a DCT/PDK car over a 6MT.

If I was trying to be the absolute fastest on the track, this is the only caveat, it would have to be a dual clutch. I cannot compete with the accuracy of a proper dual clutch, and rather than focusing on clutch operation and selecting the correct gear and shifting quickly, I could focus simply on driving the car and what it was doing. For the MOST fun, I would chose 6MT, and in 99% of scenarios I am glad I did chose the third pedal, but trying/training to be a racecar driver, the dual clutches are the way to go.

All of this is opinion though, and there are many reasons for choosing either. My father, for example, is a die hard manual guy, but he isn't getting any younger, and breaking his left leg twice definitely doesn't help things. He would be an advocate for a proper auto setup.
The difference between DCT and a torque converter auto is the DCT is an automated manual. It will roll back/forward and drive just a MT in manual mode.
My GF drove the m2 for the first time this weekend and it rolled back on her on a steep hill and she freaked out lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 11:50 AM   #201
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
In my m3 it doesn't automatically do much except avoid stalling when you're pulling away from a stop. If you just step on the gas you'll never get out of first gear and eventually hit fuel cutoff after redline.
The ZF doesn't shift if you put it in sport, a few gearboxes do this.
      03-02-2020, 01:01 PM   #202
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The ZF doesn't shift if you put it in sport, a few gearboxes do this.
My m3 doesn't shift by default, which scares me to let anyone drive it who doesn't understand these cars because I don't want them revving it out in first gear while the engine is cold.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 02:39 PM   #203
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoriginalM2 View Post
Hey ! Ofc i can understand what you're saying ! But the DCT its not really an automatic neither a manual transmition . Its both. Take a look Again Im not saying its auto or manual . In 2020 yes , you dont really need a 3rd petal to consider a car "manual" . Have a nice day bro !
I disagree pretty strongly, though admittedly this is kind of semantics.

Automatic: A transmission that is capable of changing gears automatically.
Manual: A transmission where gears must be changed manually.

How these transmissions accomplish this task will vary. What's confusing is that torque converters were for many years the only thing manufacturers built that could shift gears by themselves. Virtually all (stock) torque converters are automatics, but not all automatics have torque converters.

People with newer single and dual-clutch systems generally sought out and deliberately wanted those transmissions, often paying a hefty financial penalty in exchange for a transmission that is primarily designed not for ease of use, but rather for outright-maximum-attack-performance.

Those people do not like it when their transmissions are put the same category of old, slow torque converters, transmissions that are more about comfort than performance. And that sucks, I empathize with them. The latest Dual-Clutch PDK is fucking awesome and shares almost nothing with the 4-speed torque converter auto that I grew up with in my mom's Camry. However, there is one thing the 4-speed torque converter and the modern PDK share: The ability to change gears automatically.

So regarding modern dual clutch systems: Are they torque converters? no. Are they built primarily for comfort? no. Are they worse performing than the other optional transmission? no. Do they shift automatically? Yes. And that is literally the only thing "Automatic" implies in 2020.
Appreciate 2
ebisu81081.00
BlkSVT388.50
      03-02-2020, 02:45 PM   #204
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

what will we argue about when the DCT is gone
      03-02-2020, 02:48 PM   #205
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
what will we argue about when the DCT is gone
S55 vs S58, which sounds MORE like a weed whacker.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      03-02-2020, 03:00 PM   #206
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
So what do you call a MT that "automatically" blips the throttle? An automatic?! j/k

This whole DCT vs MT is old. Buy what you want - but please stop crapping on other peoples choices.
Moflow2484.50
bri10426127.00
      03-02-2020, 03:42 PM   #207
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If, on the other hand, a driver's desire is to control shift points and where they live in the power band – as is my primary interest – then I respectfully disagree with your statement. DCT manual mode provides every but the ability of a true MT in stated regard.

///AVM
True, but even torque converter trannies can do this now. A pull of the left paddle or a push on the lever, and it's an instant down change. I agree that the BMW DCT, and even PDK, are automatics in the sense that they shift for you, but modern autos are light years ahead of autos from a decade ago, and that's what a lot of people don't quite get. I haven't driven a BMW DCT car, but the PDK is simply sublime, it's absolutely fantastic, by far the best auto I have ever driven with. Coming up to a corner on the brakes, it knows what gear I wanted to be in, downshifted for me, and was ready for me to get on the power exiting. The shifts were instantaneous, it quite literally blew my mind. Be that as it may, I don't think I'd ever pick a DCT/PDK car over a 6MT.

If I was trying to be the absolute fastest on the track, this is the only caveat, it would have to be a dual clutch. I cannot compete with the accuracy of a proper dual clutch, and rather than focusing on clutch operation and selecting the correct gear and shifting quickly, I could focus simply on driving the car and what it was doing. For the MOST fun, I would chose 6MT, and in 99% of scenarios I am glad I did chose the third pedal, but trying/training to be a racecar driver, the dual clutches are the way to go.

All of this is opinion though, and there are many reasons for choosing either. My father, for example, is a die hard manual guy, but he isn't getting any younger, and breaking his left leg twice definitely doesn't help things. He would be an advocate for a proper auto setup.
The difference between DCT and a torque converter auto is the DCT is an automated manual. It will roll back/forward and drive just a MT in manual mode.
My GF drove the m2 for the first time this weekend and it rolled back on her on a steep hill and she freaked out lol.
Doesn't the M2 have 3 seconds of hill assist?
      03-02-2020, 03:56 PM   #208
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
It only works if it is in gear with the clutch in.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 03:56 PM   #209
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [10.00]
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [10.00]
2006 BMW M3  [10.00]
TLDR what's your goal with either trannies?
      03-02-2020, 03:58 PM   #210
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncmastr View Post
TLDR what's your goal with either trannies?
At one point or another, they'll be blown. Life goal right there, blowing trannies.
Appreciate 2
Moflow2484.50
Poochie9107.50
      03-02-2020, 04:12 PM   #211
aeroglava
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C, SOM, 6MT

Quote:
Life goal right there, blowing trannies.
Might be a life goal for some, but who am I to judge.
Appreciate 2
Moflow2484.50
Conissah1576.00
      03-02-2020, 04:34 PM   #212
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
So what do you call a MT that "automatically" blips the throttle? An automatic?! j/k

This whole DCT vs MT is old. Buy what you want - but please stop crapping on other peoples choices.
Heh, i'd probably call it a manual with autoblipping.

And just to be clear, there is absolutely nothing wrong with choosing either/any transmission. My only beef is with people mislabeling what they have and even then, we're talking "tiny internal eye roll" type annoyance and nothing more.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2020, 05:17 PM   #213
///MCollection
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C X5M M4

Garage List
2018 BMW M4  [0.00]
2019 BMW M2 Competi ...  [10.00]
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
I really DO understand people loving a manual so excuse the clutchless love

I class anything with a torque converter as an auto and DCT as a clutchless manual, that's not saying it's so just how I term them.

I always used to drive manuals as I found the automatics very err dumb and didn't do what I thought they should but what they thought they should!. I wanted a 335d and as it's an auto only that's what I had and after that I have to admit using a clutch is just one more thing I can't be bothered with unless I have too.

My fiancée borrowed my 335d and pretty much straight away her manual was gone and an auto arrived. Now years later we have the f85 which is a ZF 8 speed auto and a dct m2c and a dct m4. In manual mode both box types change when I want and are equally as fast and both are so smooth. The dct in the M2C quite often if driven calmly has undetectable changes and that is I guess why I love the auto/clutchless manuals. When I don't feel the love and just want to commute there easy but when I want to get a wiggle on and express some emotion the dct and auto can achieve this with ease.

I also think these boxes suit my location which involves some narrow small roads, when following people who have no depth perception I'm not changing gear every few hundred metres when they stop or slow. If it's late and the roads are empty I can work it as I want to. I may feel differently with different roads and maybe that's one reason why were all so set on what we drive, it's where we drive them!

I've had manual and smg e36 m3 and manual was great, smg was woeful. The e46 m3 smg was better but still manual all the way. e90 m3 was where I started to get torn and it was 50/50 then onto the f's in an m I will always go dct.

One thing I would say is with the f85 auto programmed to mimic a dct it's not as good as if they let it be the auto it is most noticeably when your manoeuvring.

lastly I do own 2 manuals so I'm no hater
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 06:45 PM   #214
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Everyone has their own ideas on automatics. To me a slush bucket tranny is a hydrolic automatic. A DCT transmission is direct gear automatic. If it shifts for you it is a form of an automatic. Even in manual mode you can't feather the clutch to stop the car from jerking at a very inopportune time. DCTs are great but they shift automatically.

One of my pet peeves is when I'm looking for a car in autotrader and I specify manual transmission and sometimes a DCT or DSG or whatever they call them will make it through the filter because someone didn't know the difference between an automatic and a manual transmission.

Last edited by AlpsRider; 03-02-2020 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 09:32 PM   #215
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

///AVM

Yes but it doesn't engage if you don't come to a complete stop, which I don't think she did. I remember her wondering why I come to a complete stop at the top of steep hills that have a stop sign. I explained to her The hill assist. Also the car doesn't love going 1mph in 2nd gear then trying to get over the top of a steep hill, it lugs the engine, and switching to first manually feels rough on the transmission, so coming to a complete stop to get hill assist and a start from first treats the car right and makes everything easy.

Of course none of this made sense to her until she drove it for herself. She grew up some place flat so the SF hills + M car is new experience for her.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 09:36 PM   #216
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Great, according to this thread, now even transmissions are gender-neutral..

DCT was really born an automatic but it "identifies" and a manual Jeez..
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2020, 10:30 PM   #217
bubsterino
Banned
Rep
Drives: none

i'm not sure if i'm plagiarizing from earlier in this thread (or another one), but i feel like there are cases of DCT owners wishing they had gotten the manual, but never the other way around. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 11:05 PM   #218
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
And so it continues...

I'll just drop this here for the the first 30 seconds of comic relief.

And, no disrespect for anyone's choice of transmission, but save the manuals and all that. They are almost dead, so buy them while you can (if you care).
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 4
CSBM52756.00
Sarg33554.50
BlkSVT388.50
      03-03-2020, 01:25 AM   #219
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: around in circles.

On the road, twisties or track, I enjoy the three pedal dance. To me, more involvement = greater the reward. I can appreciate a performance machine with a performance gear box but only a car with a mt makes me feel like it was built for me to be sitting in that driver's seat.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 05:06 AM   #220
Davil
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 21 Vantage, 18 Vantage, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Great, according to this thread, now even transmissions are gender-neutral..

DCT was really born an automatic but it "identifies" and a manual Jeez..
Don't know where the gender thing comes in, but yes, I have to use the handbrake in my DCT getting out of my driveway. I'm just glad the car actually has a handbrake. Maybe we can have a handbrake thread. Before "driver aids" I would swear at people that didn't use their handbrake and come rolling back at me on hills. You young guys probably haven't experienced this with your fandangled automated manual gearboxes that you think are actually manual.

Long live the handbrake.
Appreciate 0