Extreme Powerhouse
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > BMW m2 valves always open

05-24-2024, 11:58 AM   #1
EmmiM2
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 F87

BMW m2 valves always open

The exhaust flaps are always open. According to the documentation, the flaps should close at cold start and also be closed in Comfort mode. In my M2 LCI they are always open. I have controlled the flaps with Bimmerlink and can control them. Do you have any idea what the problem could be?
A Remus exhaust system is installed on the M2.

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 03:33 PM   #2
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

My exhaust flap was always open even before I swapped the OEM system for a Remus (N55 LCI, like yours). I don't know if this was ever truly functioning differently than what it was supposed to. I ended up adding in a CG Precision valve controller along with the Remus so I just open and close the valves as needed with the push of a button now.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2024, 06:43 PM   #3
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

Mine is generally open all the time too. I can close it on command, but it seems cycle open and stay open.

In my case, I suspect that maybe there is some residual coding left over from the previous owners MHD tune, or the BM3 I have on it now. I've configured BM3 to OEM behavior, but at this point who knows what odd logic might be affecting it.

There are also some threads out there where for some people it never worked from the factory. Could be closed on diagnostic command, but apparently some bug/flaw in software and it would come open again. Not sure they ever got the dealer to figure it out. So, even factory fresh it could misbehave for some people.

I was hoping that getting the flap to close reliably would help with the drone at 3000 rpm, but even when commanding the flap closed while driving it didn't seem to make much difference so I haven't dug much further.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2024, 12:44 AM   #4
krumpet
Captain
Rep
Drives: Fx7

Quote:
Do you have any idea what the problem could be?
Probably that
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2024, 11:19 AM   #5
EmmiM2
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHaze View Post
My exhaust flap was always open even before I swapped the OEM system for a Remus (N55 LCI, like yours). I don't know if this was ever truly functioning differently than what it was supposed to. I ended up adding in a CG Precision valve controller along with the Remus so I just open and close the valves as needed with the push of a button now.
Thank you for your answer. The problem in my country is that I have to present the car again at the road traffic licensing department. If the flap doesn't work, I can't drive the vehicle here.
I have already connected the flap control directly. Without the Y adapter from Remus. This does not work either. The exhaust system can be ruled out in this case. BMW has also already loaded the original software onto the control units. The software should therefore not cause any problems either. BMW also does not want to investigate the problem any further, as no original exhaust system is fitted. I have also received an offer for an original exhaust, the costs are over 6000Euros
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2024, 04:07 PM   #6
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmiM2 View Post
Thank you for your answer. The problem in my country is that I have to present the car again at the road traffic licensing department. If the flap doesn't work, I can't drive the vehicle here.
I have already connected the flap control directly. Without the Y adapter from Remus. This does not work either. The exhaust system can be ruled out in this case. BMW has also already loaded the original software onto the control units. The software should therefore not cause any problems either. BMW also does not want to investigate the problem any further, as no original exhaust system is fitted. I have also received an offer for an original exhaust, the costs are over 6000Euros
That's frustrating. Does this department just need to see that the flaps are closed, or do you have to cycle them while they look at them? The only things I can think of to do are either buy a valve controller, or get an app like bimmercode that allows you to control the valves. You should be able to set either one up to default the valves to the "closed" position on engine start up, then open them with either the key fob (controller) or app whenever you want. I highly doubt going back to the original exhaust will change their functionality, since mine never worked correctly either.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2024, 01:48 AM   #7
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmiM2 View Post
The exhaust flaps are always open. According to the documentation, the flaps should close at cold start and also be closed in Comfort mode. In my M2 LCI they are always open. I have controlled the flaps with Bimmerlink and can control them. Do you have any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks for the help!
Pretty sure you'll find the 'documentation' you have (that flap is closed at cold start) relate to the original 2016 M2. With my July 17 LCI the flap has always been open on cold start, in fact I think the only time it ever closed was at high engine revs (which the handbook says it will but doesn't specifiy when exactly) and I knew it closed because on track days the left side exhaust outlets (valved side) would always be a lot cleaner than the right side but with normal driving both sides would be virtually identical. For years now I've locked open the flap initially pulling the fuse and later via BM3.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2024, 10:46 AM   #8
EmmiM2
Registered
Rep

You are absolutely right. Apparently this has been adapted by the LCI model. Now I just have to explain and prove this to my authorities
Appreciate 0