06-08-2023, 06:31 AM   #45
Daytona_550
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C / '08 550i / '23 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentom2 View Post
I run the same brake setup and have used 1.11 in the past.I also drive both with and without stability control depending how I’m feeling, conditions, and familiarity with the track.

The tail wag went away after I changed out the front torque arm bushings, rear toe links, and installed coilovers. I did them all at once, so couldn’t tell you which actually was the cause, but the car has been stable under hard braking since.
Good info, thanks!
Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      05-10-2024, 01:40 PM   #46
okla_m2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
Reviving this thread here.. so I've been tracking the M2C for ~2ish years now, and the entire time I thought the 'wagging' was normal. It wasn't until this past weekend when an instructor pointed this out to me, asking whether or not if I had a bad habit with my hands or if it was the car. I told him that it wasn't intentional, and believed it was the car.

After speaking to a few folks at the track with the same car, they asked what steering setting I was driving in, and told them I was in Comfort. They recommended changing it to Sport+, and after a few sessions, I noticed that it was notably less 'waggier' in the hard braking (threshold) zones. The wags wasn't completely gone, but was significantly less.

For what it's worth, I was running in MDM mode, M Perf Coilovers, and ~2.5 degrees of camber.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 03:50 PM   #47
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I found that the front tension arm bushing replacement got rid of the squirm under heavy braking and the rear toe links got rid of the squirm under acceleration. I track in sport steering setting. MDM on. Next time out I plan to turn all the nannies off.
      05-10-2024, 09:16 PM   #48
ThreeStripes
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M

It’s traction and dsc related. Does it way more with dsc on in Sport and shit traction than it does on stickers in Sport+.

*edit* reconfirmed this again today on track. Now that I have the wagging or yaw or “pulling” under threshold braking sorted I can move on to the brake coding to get a more consistent pedal and avoid the weird abs issue I see occasion braking hard over curbing.

Last edited by ThreeStripes; 05-11-2024 at 05:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 10:02 AM   #49
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep
Drives: M3CS

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Does the M2C have mechanical rear diff or an e-diff?
      05-15-2024, 08:18 PM   #50
ThreeStripes
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackOnBlack View Post
Does the M2C have mechanical rear diff or an e-diff?
You can read all about the M active differential here: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1018024
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2024, 09:26 AM   #51
E90convert
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 DCT, F15 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
It’s traction and dsc related. Does it way more with dsc on in Sport and shit traction than it does on stickers in Sport+.

*edit* reconfirmed this again today on track. Now that I have the wagging or yaw or “pulling” under threshold braking sorted I can move on to the brake coding to get a more consistent pedal and avoid the weird abs issue I see occasion braking hard over curbing.
I also noticed this at Mid-Ohio braking on the back straight. Sport+ I would get wagging. DSC off, no more wagging.
Sold in 2020 '08 E92 335xi 6MT
Sold in 2016 '08 E90 335i 6MT - FBO
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2024, 11:25 AM   #52
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90convert View Post
I also noticed this at Mid-Ohio braking on the back straight. Sport+ I would get wagging. DSC off, no more wagging.
I had similar experience at Summit Point recently with the G80. When I had DSC or MDM on, I had the wagging. On a dry session, while being faster, I had DSC off and wagging was either minimal or non-existent. This is the reason I am wondering if the stability systems and logic include some changes/adjustments to the e-diff operations.
      05-17-2024, 11:40 AM   #53
ThreeStripes
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackOnBlack View Post
I had similar experience at Summit Point recently with the G80. When I had DSC or MDM on, I had the wagging. On a dry session, while being faster, I had DSC off and wagging was either minimal or non-existent. This is the reason I am wondering if the stability systems and logic include some changes/adjustments to the e-diff operations.
What tire?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 12:08 PM   #54
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90convert View Post
My guess is that I've never experienced this because all I ever drive in is everything off. Although it's interesting to me how/why the car is creating this instability. I'm sure there's a reason for it, maybe something that's only detectable at low speeds.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 01:09 PM   #55
ThreeStripes
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
My guess is that I've never experienced this because all I ever drive in is everything off. Although it's interesting to me how/why the car is creating this instability. I'm sure there's a reason for it, maybe something that's only detectable at low speeds.
It’s only encountered under track conditions at an intermediate pace or above. It’s not something you’d ever experience on the street unless you’re driving like a complete dickhead on public roads
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 01:23 PM   #56
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
It’s only encountered under track conditions at an intermediate pace or above. It’s not something you’d ever experience on the street unless you’re driving like a complete dickhead on public roads
There's some truth to this. I noticed the squirm mostly when accelerating hard out of a corner. Or low speed and really jumping on the throttle. The squirm under hard braking was only noticed on track or on the street when bedding the track pads. You don't really notice it unless pushing the car very aggressively.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 02:26 PM   #57
BackOnBlack
Learning to drive again
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
What tire?
PS4S
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
There's some truth to this. I noticed the squirm mostly when accelerating hard out of a corner. Or low speed and really jumping on the throttle. The squirm under hard braking was only noticed on track or on the street when bedding the track pads. You don't really notice it unless pushing the car very aggressively.
For me, it happens when braking from over 120mph+ with DSC or MDM on. Under acceleration all is well, actually great!
      05-18-2024, 04:23 AM   #58
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I get wagging under braking on the track with DSC off. Typically it's when braking hard in a straight line from over 100mph. This is with street tires (200tw). Multiple factors are likely included such as: track condition, tire temp, alignment (likely rear toe), etc... It has not been too concerning to me, but it would be better if it wasn't there.
Appreciate 0