Extreme Powerhouse
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Brakes Seizing?

08-16-2023, 10:31 AM   #1
swongamacher
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5, 2020 M2C, 2021 X7 M50

Brakes Seizing?

Anybody having problems with their brakes seizing if the car is not driven for a few days? I’ve had a couple of situations where the front brakes get stuck. I’ve found i need to “pop” it loose in reverse. Going forward will actually drag the front wheel.

I took it in, but dealer said they couldn’t reproduce.

I’m guessing it’s a combination of moisture and the pad compound where a tiny bit of rust is forming between pad and disc.

Once it’s free, I’ll do a gentle braking to clean off the disc. Not sure that does anything besides make me feel better. Hopefully there is no longer term negative impact from this.
Appreciate 1
chris7197545.50
      08-16-2023, 11:02 AM   #2
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla Highland 3P

Only when after washing the car. I get the same popping noise but never to the point where I'm dragging the front wheel?!?
Appreciate 1
chris7197545.50
      08-16-2023, 03:26 PM   #3
SilverScotty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS 6MT

I had this happen when once when picking my car up from the body shop. I believe it sat a few days and when I got in it acted like the e-brake was still set. Had to gas it quite a bit and heard a pop from the front and then all was good. Didn't drag a wheel however.

I believe this can be an issue if you turn the car off with your foot on the brake pedal, depressed. I just have a habit of pulling into my garage, pulling the e-brake, letting off the brake pedal and then turning the car off. I never leave my car in gear unless I am on an incline, just out of habit. You might pay attention to how hard you are depressing the brakes when you turn the car off, especially if it is wet out.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 03:55 PM   #4
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2 Competition

Garage List
As others have stated, I usually only drive mine 1-2 times a week. If it's raining or if I've washed the car and I let it sit, I also have a little bit of brake seizure. Sometimes it takes more effort/throttle to break free than other times, but I have NEVER had the wheel fully seized!
      08-16-2023, 05:57 PM   #5
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I think what you had was an extreme case of something that has been typical for me since new - the brakes rust over after washing, and will stick to the pads some. No cure for this that I've found other than several slow trips up and down the drive w/ the brake dragging. I'm often lazy and skip that, so it gets rust all over my wheels next time I drive it. When they stick they can take a bit of throttle to break loose.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 08:38 PM   #6
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

This is common. It can be incredibly strong if it's wet and it sits for a while. Mainly happens when washing the car. One thing that so far seems to help stop it for me is spraying the wheel and brakes with Gyeon WetCoat liberally during the wash process. It actually seems to help prevent rust from forming on the rotor too because it makes it temporarily very hydrophobic. Highly underrated product.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2023, 09:41 PM   #7
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by swongamacher View Post
Anybody having problems with their brakes seizing if the car is not driven for a few days? I’ve had a couple of situations where the front brakes get stuck. I’ve found i need to “pop” it loose in reverse. Going forward will actually drag the front wheel.

I took it in, but dealer said they couldn’t reproduce.

I’m guessing it’s a combination of moisture and the pad compound where a tiny bit of rust is forming between pad and disc.

Once it’s free, I’ll do a gentle braking to clean off the disc. Not sure that does anything besides make me feel better. Hopefully there is no longer term negative impact from this.
It's the type of pad + moisture.

If you don't track your car, do yourself a big favor and get a proper set of street pads (CarboTech 1521), they dust 80% less, don't make any noise, and will double the life of your rotors (at a minimum). They also won't stick to your rotors nearly as bad, if at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 02:07 AM   #8
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

It can be concerning, last time I had to give it a bit of gas because what I normally do was not working. I even drove the car around the block after the wash but I guess it was not enough. I have a rug thing under the car the it was mot helping as the wheels were spinning, almost was gonna just tow the car out of the garage so could get some grip.
I never leave the hand brake on, always in gear

Oh also good point from phatic because these are track pads (ferodo 1.11), never had anything remotely close with stock, sometimes even washing car and not moving it at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 03:43 PM   #9
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Always hand brake on, never in gear...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 04:47 PM   #10
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Always hand brake on, never in gear...
I used to do only handbrake unless in incline, now at home I just leave it in gear. If I am out in the wild I do both.

Also a good habit for when tracking the car, I never have the habit of putting the hand brake on anymore
Appreciate 0