BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Soon to be F87 M2C owner, common issues to look out for/be aware of?

11-22-2022, 10:49 PM   #1
turnsignalslol
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 G87 M2

Soon to be F87 M2C owner, common issues to look out for/be aware of?

Hey y'all,

I will soon be upgrading from a 2022 BMW 330i to a 2020 M2 Competition and was wondering what potential quirks and issues the car (and the S55 engine) might have so that I can be prepared for what I am getting into. I test drove the car and absolutely loved it so I'm trying my hardest to make this dream happen.

Only thing I've heard about are oil leaks and crank hub spinning but the latter seems to be more common with people running tuned cars and pushing the limits of the stock crank hub fix.

Thanks!

From a soon to be F87 owner
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 12:14 AM   #2
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

congrats. f8x cars are pretty solid.

crankhub is usually something that just goes. there usually wont be any tell tale signs of impending doom as far as i know. it can happen to any car, but more often to tuned ones. you might be able to have the bmw dealer check to see if was tuned. Check the oil cooler under the front bumper to make sure that hasn't been hit.

if you're picky about cosmetics check the wheels for curb rash, body work for signs of a repaint or touch up, panel gaps, etc. look at the interior to check wear on touch points and seats. also important to check the back seat area for signs of kids/pets. one m2c i looked at seemed to have a child seat imprint in the leather, along with dog hair on the floor. check carfax obviously. put the VIN into google to see if anything pops up.

get a ppi at a bmw dealer if possible. they can get the car on a lift and do a thorough lookover.

one thing i'll say is when you're going to a dealer to buy a car try to 'hate it'. look for every little thing wrong with it, drive with the stereo off and listen for any little creak. if you go pumped about a car you will be blinded and miss things.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 04:10 AM   #3
turnsignalslol
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
congrats. f8x cars are pretty solid.

crankhub is usually something that just goes. there usually wont be any tell tale signs of impending doom as far as i know. it can happen to any car, but more often to tuned ones. you might be able to have the bmw dealer check to see if was tuned. Check the oil cooler under the front bumper to make sure that hasn't been hit.

if you're picky about cosmetics check the wheels for curb rash, body work for signs of a repaint or touch up, panel gaps, etc. look at the interior to check wear on touch points and seats. also important to check the back seat area for signs of kids/pets. one m2c i looked at seemed to have a child seat imprint in the leather, along with dog hair on the floor. check carfax obviously. put the VIN into google to see if anything pops up.

get a ppi at a bmw dealer if possible. they can get the car on a lift and do a thorough lookover.

one thing i'll say is when you're going to a dealer to buy a car try to 'hate it'. look for every little thing wrong with it, drive with the stereo off and listen for any little creak. if you go pumped about a car you will be blinded and miss things.
The car is actually a demo car with only around 5000 miles, and it’s being sold by a BMW dealership. How should I go about getting the PPI done? My salesperson has made me feel very comfortable throughout this whole process but I can’t help but think that the dealership selling the car would also attempt to mask any potential issues that it might have…

CarFax is clean, regular service intervals, at least once a year (since the car wasn’t driven much) and seemed to get a break in service at the right time so those are generally good signs I think

When I test drove the car, everything seemed fine and there weren’t any visible signs of damage. Interior was also mint because it was a demo car 😁
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 07:17 AM   #4
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Demo cars are that...demo. People that drive them want to push them to the limits, over and over, especially the ///M cars. Hopefully, all of them warmed them up properly before gunning them...
I am sure the car was maintained well, however, I am not sure I would go for an M demo (or the M-school car) that is there to showcase what M cars are about...
Appreciate 2
      11-23-2022, 08:16 AM   #5
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

is it CPO with an extended warranty?
if so, get the consumables not covered by warranty checked, then buy and drive it with no worries and then if you are considering keeping it once the warranty is over get a fuill PPI then
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 08:25 AM   #6
Moloc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

If it's a demo car, RUN! Do not buy it, especially an M car.

Years ago I got into trucks with the old man, he bought a 1500 Ram demo and a month later I bought a Chevy ZR2 demo. We both had so many issues, me more so than him since it was a performance truck so people that test drove them wanted to really test out the features. Needless to say an M car is firmly in that territory but a lot more so since you really need to warm it up and break it in. Even if everything is under warranty you don't want it to be stuck in the shop before a weekend out or something like that. Warranty will cover the money but not the lost experiences.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2022, 09:18 AM   #7
turnsignalslol
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moloc View Post
If it's a demo car, RUN! Do not buy it, especially an M car.

Years ago I got into trucks with the old man, he bought a 1500 Ram demo and a month later I bought a Chevy ZR2 demo. We both had so many issues, me more so than him since it was a performance truck so people that test drove them wanted to really test out the features. Needless to say an M car is firmly in that territory but a lot more so since you really need to warm it up and break it in. Even if everything is under warranty you don't want it to be stuck in the shop before a weekend out or something like that. Warranty will cover the money but not the lost experiences.
Yeah, I’m a lot more wary now that I know what a “demo” car is, especially if it was registered in Woodcliff Lake, NJ. I probably should have suspected something when I saw multiple M2Cs with the same spec and similar mileage at the dealership that I’m looking at right now.

Luckily, the salesman was upfront with me when I asked and he confirmed that it was most likely a track car and would have to double check. Unless they offer me a warranty on top of the car, I might just have to walk away from this one…

Also, I noticed that the gear shifts from first to second while on efficient and when the car was still cold was not very smooth; is this normal for a DCT or a sign of a bigger issue?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 10:09 AM   #8
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

I worked in the car business for 6 years, and I can tell you that I'd never buy a demo. NEVER.
Appreciate 3
      11-23-2022, 10:27 AM   #9
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnsignalslol View Post
Yeah, I’m a lot more wary now that I know what a “demo” car is, especially if it was registered in Woodcliff Lake, NJ. I probably should have suspected something when I saw multiple M2Cs with the same spec and similar mileage at the dealership that I’m looking at right now.

Luckily, the salesman was upfront with me when I asked and he confirmed that it was most likely a track car and would have to double check. Unless they offer me a warranty on top of the car, I might just have to walk away from this one…

Also, I noticed that the gear shifts from first to second while on efficient and when the car was still cold was not very smooth; is this normal for a DCT or a sign of a bigger issue?
What you're describing sounds exactly like former Performance Center cars. If all the M2C cars that they have are similar mileage and DCT, the odds are near 100% they bought these via the BMW internal auction process for former PC cars. None of them will be able to be CPO'd by BMW. I'd advise forgetting about it and never look back (although recording the VINs off all of them might be useful out into the future for the board here and other owners).
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2022, 03:34 PM   #10
turnsignalslol
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hey y'all,

I'm going to most likely end up doing a pre-purchase inspection at a different dealership on the specific M2C that I am interested in to make sure that there isn't any significant damage or anything I should be worried about.

The car still has about 2 years left of warranty and I might try to get the salesperson to hook me up with an extended warranty because I'm basically willingly buying a car that has "i've been driven like i was stolen" written on it.

I hope this car has been treated better than others because when I test drove it and looked at it, there wasn't the telltale signs of abuse that other people have reported like busted up side skirts and seats falling apart/showing more wear than normal.

Unfortunately, this is what I am stuck with as a Californian, all the other M2s are either high mileage or absurdly expensive and even then, you don't really know how the owner has treated it. I think I'd feel worse buying an M2 that has been modded because then the warranty is actually fucked. I also can't buy a car across the country and have it transported for who knows how much, and also somehow pass CA emissions which are a complete PITA.

Thanks for all of your input guys, and I'll keep you updated

Last edited by turnsignalslol; 11-23-2022 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 04:21 PM   #11
leopard print
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Really well for an Asian.

Quote:
Hey y'all,

I'm going to most likely end up doing a pre-purchase inspection at a different dealership on the specific M2C that I am interested in to make sure that there isn't any significant damage or anything I should be worried about.

The car still has about 2 years left of warranty and I might try to get the salesperson to hook me up with an extended warranty because I'm basically willingly buying a car that has "i've been driven like i was stolen" written on it.

I hope this car has been treated better than others because when I test drove it and looked at it, there wasn't the telltale signs of abuse that other people have reported like busted up side skirts and seats falling apart/showing more wear than normal.

Unfortunately, this is what I am stuck with as a Californian, all the other M2s are either high mileage or absurdly expensive and even then, you don't really know how the owner has treated it. I think I'd feel worse buying an M2 that has been modded because then the warranty is actually fucked. I also can't buy a car across the country and have it transported for who knows how much, and also somehow pass CA emissions which are a complete PITA.

Thanks for all of your input guys, and I'll keep you updated
FYI - you don't need to purchase the extended warranty at the dealership you purchase the car from.

Reach out to GOLFFRR or Christine from this thread: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1676787
They have the best prices on extended warranties.
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10876.00
      11-23-2022, 06:27 PM   #12
turnsignalslol
Captain
United_States
Rep

Update:

I've booked a test drive with a different M2C that has more miles but is a one owner personal car. Decided that I don't want to risk it with a ticking time bomb. It should be a crime to sell these track abused cars for market value.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2022, 08:11 AM   #13
DVG 335
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23 M3 Comp XD & 22 X3 XD

Quote:
Update:

I've booked a test drive with a different M2C that has more miles but is a one owner personal car. Decided that I don't want to risk it with a ticking time bomb. It should be a crime to sell these track abused cars for market value.
Good luck with the search. The right one is out there somewhere.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2022, 08:45 AM   #14
Moloc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Good luck man, take your time and find the right one. Took 6 months to find my current car but it was worth every penny and every second. It's super hard walking away but you car is out there somewhere, just be patient.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2022, 10:33 AM   #15
Bingham
Private
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C LBB AA midpipe

Lookout:

Repeating rear tail-light malfunction message.

…maybe there was a recall? Seemed to remember something about an in-line resistor from bulb. Local dealer finally sorted after multiple trips.
Appreciate 1
      11-27-2022, 06:17 PM   #16
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard print View Post
FYI - you don't need to purchase the extended warranty at the dealership you purchase the car from.

Reach out to GOLFFRR or Christine from this thread: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1676787
They have the best prices on extended warranties.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 10:12 AM   #17
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I've been to BMW track days where they had a fleet of M2s for us to thrash on the track. If there is a chance it falls in that category, I would run.
Appreciate 2
      11-28-2022, 09:21 PM   #18
turnsignalslol
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I've been to BMW track days where they had a fleet of M2s for us to thrash on the track. If there is a chance it falls in that category, I would run.
The first one I was looking into actually fell into that category and in my excitement, I didn't even realize. I almost pulled the trigger but was stopped after learning about it before buying (thanks to you guys) and people around me just telling me to slow down and really do my research.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 07:20 AM   #19
Bobdaxx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Hey alps rider Im heading to Zermatt 3rd week in Feb. Staying at hotel silvanas-legit ski in ski out
I saw your avatar and had to reply lol
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 10:13 AM   #20
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdaxx View Post
Hey alps rider Im heading to Zermatt 3rd week in Feb. Staying at hotel silvanas-legit ski in ski out
I saw your avatar and had to reply lol
You're a lucky man, Zermatt is magical. I hope to be on those slopes this season too. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0