BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Classifieds Section > Members Classifieds > Anyone Know this M2 in Laurenceville GA?

11-07-2022, 08:33 AM   #23
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
I agree that you definitely should do a PPI but there is no reason to assume abuse based on it being dropped and having a few cosmetic mods. Like what is abuse? track work? giving it some beans? thats what the car was made for and I hope everyone that owns one of these has been doing just that
Well, the transmission replacement is a cause for concern.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 08:44 AM   #24
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
Well, the transmission replacement is a cause for concern.
thats fair
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 09:48 AM   #25
Gotfuel
Private
Rep
Drives: Trek Madone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
I agree that you definitely should do a PPI but there is no reason to assume abuse based on it being dropped and having a few cosmetic mods. Like what is abuse? track work? giving it some beans? thats what the car was made for and I hope everyone that owns one of these has been doing just that
Agreed, I’ll follow up with the group. Appreciate all the help and advice on the m2. Ultimately I’m buying the car to do 4-5 track days a season, then eventually more as I move up in drive groups. Maybe a track night in America or two.

The trans replacement is weird to me. But at the same time, if it was done by bmw, I’m not super concerned.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 02:28 PM   #26
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

IF it had Dinan tune, then you would need to have the original warranty transferred - that would involve paperwork that seems missing or you wouldn't have Q's about what parts were on it. Having been tuned, you will have a car that is explicitly out of factory warranty coverage, at least for the powertrain (unless you have the Dinan piggyback warranty).

I would probably walk away, unless the price is really great, as it seems likely to have lived a pretty hard life. You didn't say if DCT or MT; either way, trans problems would suggest some very hard use that would be likely to heavily wear other parts to be near-breaking (it might just be a fluke and trans was defective from the factory, but not likely those last 10k miles). The Dinan badge is also a warning - either they spent >10k on hop up parts, or they are just trying to look like they did; both would suggest it is likely they have been hooning about doing burnouts, launch control starts, etc.

Not the main Q, but if you are really seeking a primary track car I would suggest looking at a first gen M2 instead. They have all the key suspension/braking/engine mods for track, and are a lot cheaper. M2C has upgrades over OG, but not worth the added $$$ if you are seeking a track toy.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 02:57 PM   #27
Gotfuel
Private
Rep
Drives: Trek Madone

I’m very grateful to all the great feedback I’ve gotten over the past couple days. Decided to follow some of the underlying comments, and some of those that are direct and move on with the car. I couldn’t get any detail from BMW on the trans replacement (6MT), due to privacy requirements from BMW, as I am not the current owner. I’m sure I could have gotten around that, or asked for a favor, but not worth it. Since I live in OH, I won’t drive the car till April, so I’m gonna take what I learned here, keep my eyes peeled for a good deal and draw on the expertise of this group early next year.

Thanks again folks
Appreciate 1