BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > M2C HK audio center speaker delete + F45 amp coding

02-17-2022, 09:46 PM   #1
Jayden_F87
'20 M2 Comp.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 Competition DCT

Garage List
M2C HK audio center speaker delete + F45 amp coding

I disconnected the center midrange and tweeter and coded F45 EQ profile to my '20 M2C yesterday.

I had some decent improvements with the HK in my F30 with just disconnecting the centers and playing around with coding the amp so I figured I'd give it a shot in the M2 as well.

With just the center speakers disabled, the left and right channels are more distinct. Nice improvement over stock. Then I coded F45 EQ profile. Sound stage is moved further back towards the rear of the car. I did not like how the vocals came from my back. It was as if I was facing the wrong direction in the car. I adjusted the fader towards the front by 3 to 4, and now the vocals come from where they should: the front. But I was still disappointed with the vocals being too small in volume (sounded like the F45 profile killed the majority of mids. On the upside, the bass became stronger (no need to touch the bass setting in the menu), and the sound stage broadened.

All the positive feedbacks I've seen with the F45 profile was mostly on pre LCI models with a different EQ profile, whereas a LCI car like mine has a different factory profile. Maybe that's why I'm so disappointed? : Or maybe it's the lack of center speakers aiding the sound stage moving further towards the rear of the car. Has anyone tried the F45 profile on a LCI M2/2 series and feel the same way about it?

IG: @porky_m2c
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 12:27 PM   #2
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

I think it's going to be a total crapshoot if you are going to load an EQ profile for the wrong car. It might fix vocals but create issues elsewhere. You would really want to measure to see if it's actually doing anything good. If you like the sound, that's fine, but it's probably going to be weird.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2022, 09:25 AM   #3
gphung
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB - 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I have my center speaker unplugged as well and enjoy the sound stage more.

I tried the F45 profile for a bit as well, and had the same impressions as you. Actually at some point, the iDrive even stopped playing any sound. I force restarted it with the long hold of the volume knob and it seemed to fix it, but I got deterred from anymore experimentation with the F45 EQ that I just reverted it back after that same drive lol. I thought my amp was gonna go from the added bass or something, and I've already had mine replaced once from the infamous water ingress issue.

I've yet to try changing the speakers, but that's probably the next logical step.
Appreciate 1