BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iDrive Updated - Car No Longer Understands Any Voice Commands

07-15-2021, 07:16 AM   #1
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

iDrive Updated - Car No Longer Understands Any Voice Commands

Hi guys

I had my iDrive updated at the the dealership in April and I just assumed it was a glitch. Now that I've had it for a couple of months (I don't drive that often), I realize that each time I use the voice command it doesn't understand addresses or can't find anything in the map as it did before the update. Also does not understand to call my contacts anymore.

It wasn't perfect before, but it worked about 85-90% of the time and I could ask for (and it would find it usually without issues):

- a business storefront without address
- actually ask it for directions for a specific street number and address all in one sentence
- find the closest gas station
- find the closest shell gas station or closest esso gas station
- call a person in my address book

Now, it just apologizes and keeps telling me it does not understand.

I'm planning to call my dealer, but was going to try here first as I don't want to go through the process of re-coding all my options on/off again.
Could it not have a proper connection? Is there a way to check?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2021, 09:45 AM   #2
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

There is a setting somewhere that authorises your voice requests to go to an external service. Bit like Siri. Improves the voice recognition. Check if enabled
      07-15-2021, 12:31 PM   #3
hshot_rooke
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
There is a setting somewhere that authorises your voice requests to go to an external service. Bit like Siri. Improves the voice recognition. Check if enabled
Mr. Rizk, do you know where I could find this setting? I went through many settings today did not see what you are referring to.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2021, 05:55 AM   #4
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Sounds like it might be just using local recognition instead of connected services cloud. I can confirm local sucks as mine switched to that when I didn't renew connected services.
Appreciate 1