BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > BMW M2 CS CFRP roof weave issues: "Garching, we have a problem" ?

10-14-2020, 08:53 PM   #89
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgmt View Post
Carbon fibre roofs have to be covered in ppf and then ceramic coated for optimal protection. Otherwise they will deteriorate when parked outside in harsh climates.
If you live in Australia and love your car you don't park outside of cover aside from brief periods. So It's a moot point.
Many people live in places without covered parking.

No matter how much they "love" their cars. That isn't going to change.

That carbon fibre plastic crap just isn't designed to withstand the elements without protection.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 08:59 PM   #90
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:
Carbon fibre roofs have to be covered in ppf and then ceramic coated for optimal protection. Otherwise they will deteriorate when parked outside in harsh climates.
If you live in Australia and love your car you don't park outside of cover aside from brief periods. So It's a moot point.

That carbon fibre plastic crap just isn't designed to withstand the elements without protection.
"That carbon fibre plastic crap" what a laughable comment
      10-14-2020, 11:02 PM   #91
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:

Life choices and priorities. All depends how much you love your car really, which will then factor into where you choose to live. Paint, interior, rubber, everything is going to turn to shit if you park it in the sun everyday for years.
Appreciate 2
F87EVO4004.00
Poochie9099.00
      10-15-2020, 12:22 AM   #92
Hedoniste
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | M135i

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedoniste View Post
I didn't see any problem on the CS I bought but it was raining. I will pick up the car on Wednesday and I hope to be quickly able to inspect the roof under direct sunlight. I will post here asap my feedback. Thanks for creating this thread
Here is mine (car is a week 39 production):

And with a " enhancing " filter

I didn't check the passenger side.
Appreciate 3
il Nemico137.50
Poochie9099.00
Artemis28911.50
      10-15-2020, 04:06 AM   #93
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
And with a " enhancing " filter
Great job highlighting this imperfection..

IMHO, it's really small potatos and barely visible, unless it's specifically accentuate.

I wouldn't even entertaining the thought of having some dealership oil jockey put his dirty paws on my vehicle, in attempt to replace the roof, since extrapolating from how this incident came about, leaves a distinct possibility that the replacement part would entail the same cosmetic blemish as the original.

I know this might sound like sacrilege and ironic to some but if it really irked that much, I would probably just paint the carbon roof in a glossy black hue to disguise the said flaw and call it a day, before resorting to having my low production vehicle hacked up.

I hope CS owners find closure in whatever avenue they choose to come to terms with this issue and it doesn't discourage them from an otherwise remarkable piece of machinery.
Appreciate 2
Bimmed Out1908.50
Hedoniste3770.50
      10-15-2020, 05:39 AM   #94
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I didn't see any problem on the CS I bought but it was raining. I will pick up the car on Wednesday and I hope to be quickly able to inspect the roof under direct sunlight. I will post here asap my feedback. Thanks for creating this thread
Here is mine (car is a week 39 production):

I didn't check the passenger side.
Looks great. Like a motion pattern when the finish flag is being waved aggressively. I consider it a feature. But then again, I was originally born in England so I have a genetic predisposition to embrace quirks as features.
Appreciate 4
Bimmed Out1908.50
Hedoniste3770.50
CarJunkie2615.50
      10-15-2020, 06:41 AM   #95
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2020 AMG GTR  [0.00]
2022 R8 Quattro Spyder  [0.00]
2023 X5M50  [0.00]
2023 718 Spyder  [0.00]
2024 Silverado  [0.00]
2024 Civic Type R  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

IMHO, it's really small potatos and barely visible, unless it's specifically accentuate.

I wouldn't even entertaining the thought of having some dealership oil jockey put his dirty paws on my vehicle, in attempt to replace the roof, since extrapolating from how this incident came about, leaves a distinct possibility that the replacement part would entail the same cosmetic blemish as the original.

I know this might sound like sacrilege and ironic to some but if it really irked that much, I would probably just paint the carbon roof in a glossy black hue to disguise the said flaw and call it a day, before resorting to having my low production vehicle hacked up.

I hope CS owners find closure in whatever avenue they choose to come to terms with this issue and it doesn't discourage them from an otherwise remarkable piece of machinery.
this type of work is typically outsourced to the local body shop. oil jockeys tend to not actually do the work they aren't trained to do.
Appreciate 1
Hedoniste3770.50
      10-15-2020, 08:31 AM   #96
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Close-ups from EURO spec M2 CS cars from Bimmerpost forum members (who indicate that the imperfections are only minor and quite discreet as regards visibility):

(sources: here and here)
Hedoniste3770.50
      10-15-2020, 09:00 AM   #97
Poochie
United_States
Rep

A roof R&R, give or take a few steps:

Ain't no way anyone is doing this to my hypothetical brand new CS, in attempt to repair it.

I'll paint the top black and be contented knowing that I could have a have $8,000 CS carbon fiber roof and still conceal it because I got it like that..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 09:13 AM   #98
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
Quote:

this type of work is typically outsourced to the local body shop. oil jockeys tend to not actually do the work they aren't trained to do.
I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure a roof swap would be an in-house job. I've noticed there is an entire passage dedicated to this, in the dealer training manual.

So let say this is true, in theory, one would assume they would summons their highly knowledgeable "Master Technician" for an intricate job like this but from want I've learn, in practice, anyone clocked in for work, that has a minimum of a ASE certification and read a shop manual, gets the ticket that day. It's a roll of dice, the foreman uses the manpower he has..

It a car basically a machine with thousands of parts working in unison, it's not rocket science. My issue is room for human error and possible blowbacks from having to tear-ass open my lid. As a wise man once said; "Shit Happens" 🙌
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 10:51 AM   #99
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

It seems the production process has improved since time has gone on - at the end of the day, even for someone particular like me - this is a minor issue that could be perceived as a feature and makes the car even more unique if this ends up the only car with the pattern.

I feel most CS buyers are secure enough in their purchase to not have this be a major detractor from their enjoyment.
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 2
Hedoniste3770.50
yaymitch863.00
      10-15-2020, 10:58 AM   #100
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep

Garage List
2020 AMG GTR  [0.00]
2023 X5M50  [0.00]
2023 718 Spyder  [0.00]
2024 Silverado  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure a roof swap would be an in-house job. I've noticed there is an entire passage dedicated to this, in the dealer training manual.

So let say this is true, in theory, one would assume they would summons their highly knowledgeable "Master Technician" for an intricate job like this but from want I've learn, in practice, anyone clocked in for work, that has a minimum of a ASE certification and read a shop manual, gets the ticket that day. It's a roll of dice, the foreman uses the manpower he has..

It a car basically a machine with thousands of parts working in unison, it's not rocket science. My issue is room for human error and possible blowbacks from having to tear-ass open my lid. As a wise man once said; "Shit Happens" 🙌
That's not how it works. Been in the business since 1992.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 11:47 AM   #101
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deceptiv.M3 View Post
It seems the production process has improved since time has gone on - at the end of the day, even for someone particular like me - this is a minor issue that could be perceived as a feature and makes the car even more unique if this ends up the only car with the pattern.

I feel most CS buyers are secure enough in their purchase to not have this be a major detractor from their enjoyment.
My opinion about the roof , is that it will become a feature to have unique imperfections on the roof .in reality this is so minor that i havent even look at those imperfections since August ! Anyway , Imagine reviewers after 15 years , joking in a good way for those imperfections , having 2 CS aside , and looking one another and joking where each car has its imperfections . So not only the car will hopefully get some good comments after years , but if this topic with the roof becomes more well known , we will end up joking on wheres the imperfections on any car . And how cool that will be !
Hedoniste3770.50
AUSf222687.00
Poochie9099.00
Davil6333.50
Bimmed Out1908.50
      10-15-2020, 11:57 AM   #102
AxM2CS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28 535i >E39 528iT >E39 540i6

All good, noting that I want the roof that's uniquely perfect (win-win)
Appreciate 1
Hedoniste3770.50
      10-15-2020, 12:05 PM   #103
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I was joking and serious when I mentioned you would always be able to track your car by the roof pattern. It a unique identifier.
AUSf222687.00
      10-15-2020, 04:58 PM   #104
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That's not how it works. Been in the business since 1992.
Well? You're supposedly oozing with real world experience on the 'business' and you have nothing to add countering my claim but humble bragging?

So tell me, how are you certain whom is assigned what specific job at a franchise dealership service department?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 05:57 PM   #105
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I was joking and serious when I mentioned you would always be able to track your car by the roof pattern. It a unique identifier.
Bahah omg that is so true, I love it.

It's another way to tell the vehicles apart, "my CS has 4 wavey squares on the passenger side and yours has it near the front "
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 09:23 PM   #106
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep

Garage List
2020 AMG GTR  [0.00]
2023 X5M50  [0.00]
2023 718 Spyder  [0.00]
2024 Silverado  [0.00]
Quote:
Well? You're supposedly oozing with real world experience on the 'business' and you have nothing to add countering my claim but humble bragging?

So tell me, how are you certain whom is assigned what specific job at a franchise dealership service department?
Well, I was only replying to your reply to my post so in order to avoid turning it into an argument I purposely refrained from expanding on the thought, which I will continue to do. If you want to decide you have it figured out, that's fine with me. I have nothing to prove to you, it doesn't pay well enough.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 09:29 PM   #107
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I purposely refrained from expanding on the thought, which I will continue to
Hmm..

Great, thanx for valuable contribution..
Appreciate 1
pz6193274.00
      10-15-2020, 10:38 PM   #108
gmhl10
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a M2 CS

Quote:
in theory, one would assume they would summons their highly knowledgeable "Master Technician" for an intricate job like this but from want I've learn, in practice, anyone clocked in for work, that has a minimum of a ASE certification and read a shop manual, gets the ticket that day. It's a roll of dice, the foreman uses the manpower he has..
When I used to work as a BMW technician a long time ago, on my first year on the job, I worked on an Alpina Z8. It was the first time I've ever seen that car before in person. We just pick out the repair order right out of his box and whoever was up next pulled the next order. Now, I get the team leader and shop foreman's side of things where handing out special tasks to certain Master BMW Level 1 technicians can get techs upset (not fair that a few guys get the hard jobs and others just get "gravy" jobs only when it's flat rate). The dealership I worked at didn't care at all if you stayed ASE certified or not. Actual BMW hands on training never really happened for anyone that was under 60+ flag hours a week. Just all online video training and a quiz at the end that you can keep taking again if you fail until you do pass. Now, IDK if it was just the BMW dealer that I worked at that was like this, but I'd assume many other dealers are similar. Just something that I've experienced in the past.

As nice as the 3 year service for free is, I really don't feel all that comfortable when someone else touches my cars. Even if it is for something as small as an oil change.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9099.00
      10-15-2020, 11:32 PM   #109
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhl10 View Post
Quote:
in theory, one would assume they would summons their highly knowledgeable "Master Technician" for an intricate job like this but from want I've learn, in practice, anyone clocked in for work, that has a minimum of a ASE certification and read a shop manual, gets the ticket that day. It's a roll of dice, the foreman uses the manpower he has..
The dealership I worked at didn't care at all if you stayed ASE certified or not. Actual BMW hands on training never really happened for anyone that was under 60+ flag hours a week
Thanks for your feedback and contrary to what some might assume, I'm fully aware how how many rungs up the ladder the a service tech are required to climb, in order to earn their wings and how typical service repair is assigned.

Franchise dealerships hire, train and tier their employees depending on their prior experience and expertise.

The most popular training program for aspiring, entry-level BMW techs is a class called BMW STEP (Service Technician Education Program).

Which is a seven month course that specialize students repairs BMW vehicles ranging from the 2 Series to the M cars. Right out of technical college, with just a ASE certificate, you can enter this program and be hired as a full time dealership service employee.

There are different levels of the STEP program; one is a natural seven month course, which I previously mention, being considered the most prestigious and train the students to be on their way to earn their "Master Technician" credentials.

Other and current techs with prior mechanical experience can earn their master technician title, in a shorter time period, by accomplishing an abridged version of STEP, called STEP2, in less than eight weeks.

Either way, the ultimate goal for all is the higher designation, a increase pay grade or take their newfound talent to an independent field.

Regardless, most dealership are like a revolving door; employees start on STEP on, earn their experience and move to greener pastures. Master Techs are far and few in-between and are usually on call for when a "STEP 1" employee needs assistance with a complicated job.

However, are lion share of work is allotted to STEP 1 techs. Not that they necessarily lacks experience but because their is abundance of them available. Which, as a result, are more than likely going to be the ones that are going be R&Ring your roof..

More information on this subject is here:

https://www.bmwstep.com/about-bmw-st...-requirements/
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 08:25 AM   #110
gmhl10
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a M2 CS

I actually was a STEP graduate for the 6 month program. Is it changed to 7 months now? Was a harder program to get in than the Porsche program.
Appreciate 2
Bimmed Out1908.50
Poochie9099.00