BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > BMW M2 CS CFRP roof weave issues: "Garching, we have a problem" ?

10-14-2020, 02:22 PM   #89
M Fifty
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Would now be a good time to bring up the way BMW briefed the motoring press on how the suspension of the C differs from the LCI (and OG)? It doesn't, but the supporting structure does and appears to have a significant effect. Which the press may have noticed, or possibly just reported.

So: It looks good, it may have an effect on the way the car feels to drive (mostly due to a change in stiffness, rather than weight reduction - fitting a sunroof will have a bigger effect), it might be possible to retrofit (as it appears in the retrofit section of RealOEM.com).
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 02:23 PM   #90
M Fifty
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Now, where's the link to the 718 GTS configurator...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 04:47 PM   #91
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i, F25 X3, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
it might be possible to retrofit (as it appears in the retrofit section of RealOEM.com).
Don't think so. That's the MPerformance carbon roof in there, which has been an available aftermarket part for a while. That's not a new thing. Nothing in there is calling out CS construction components. There's video reviews and everything from BMW Blog already showing the component and the completely different attachment points etc.
M2 CS (In Production)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 04:48 PM   #92
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i, F25 X3, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Now, where's the link to the 718 GTS configurator...
718 GTS Configurator
M2 CS (In Production)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 08:53 PM   #93
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgmt View Post
Carbon fibre roofs have to be covered in ppf and then ceramic coated for optimal protection. Otherwise they will deteriorate when parked outside in harsh climates.
If you live in Australia and love your car you don't park outside of cover aside from brief periods. So It's a moot point.
Many people live in places without covered parking.

No matter how much they "love" their cars. That isn't going to change.

That carbon fibre plastic crap just isn't designed to withstand the elements without protection.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 08:59 PM   #94
TargaM2
MAD MINI MODIFYER
Australia
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Quote:
Carbon fibre roofs have to be covered in ppf and then ceramic coated for optimal protection. Otherwise they will deteriorate when parked outside in harsh climates.
If you live in Australia and love your car you don't park outside of cover aside from brief periods. So It's a moot point.

That carbon fibre plastic crap just isn't designed to withstand the elements without protection.
"That carbon fibre plastic crap" what a laughable comment
      10-14-2020, 11:02 PM   #95
Davil
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:

Life choices and priorities. All depends how much you love your car really, which will then factor into where you choose to live. Paint, interior, rubber, everything is going to turn to shit if you park it in the sun everyday for years.
Appreciate 2
Poochie5539.50

10-15-2020, 12:22 AM   #96
Hedoniste
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedoniste View Post
I didn't see any problem on the CS I bought but it was raining. I will pick up the car on Wednesday and I hope to be quickly able to inspect the roof under direct sunlight. I will post here asap my feedback. Thanks for creating this thread
Here is mine (car is a week 39 production):

And with a " enhancing " filter

I didn't check the passenger side.
2011 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT ZCP (MW/BL) - sold
2007 BMW M Coupe (IB/BL) - sold

INSTA: hedoniste__
Appreciate 3
Poochie5539.50
Artemis13455.00

10-15-2020, 04:06 AM   #97
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
And with a " enhancing " filter
Great job highlighting this imperfection..

IMHO, it's really small potatos and barely visible, unless it's specifically accentuate.

I wouldn't even entertaining the thought of having some dealership oil jockey put his dirty paws on my vehicle, in attempt to replace the roof, since extrapolating from how this incident came about, leaves a distinct possibility that the replacement part would entail the same cosmetic blemish as the original.

I know this might sound like sacrilege and ironic to some but if it really irked that much, I would probably just paint the carbon roof in a glossy black hue to disguise the said flaw and call it a day, before resorting to having my low production vehicle hacked up.

I hope CS owners find closure in whatever avenue they choose to come to terms with this issue and it doesn't discourage them from an otherwise remarkable piece of machinery.
Appreciate 2
kepler1137.00
Hedoniste1141.00

10-15-2020, 05:39 AM   #98
Davil
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
Quote:
I didn't see any problem on the CS I bought but it was raining. I will pick up the car on Wednesday and I hope to be quickly able to inspect the roof under direct sunlight. I will post here asap my feedback. Thanks for creating this thread
Here is mine (car is a week 39 production):

I didn't check the passenger side.
Looks great. Like a motion pattern when the finish flag is being waved aggressively. I consider it a feature. But then again, I was originally born in England so I have a genetic predisposition to embrace quirks as features.
Appreciate 4
kepler1137.00
Hedoniste1141.00
CarJunkie594.50

10-15-2020, 06:41 AM   #99
Higgs Boson
Old News, Bud
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M5C / 20 M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

IMHO, it's really small potatos and barely visible, unless it's specifically accentuate.

I wouldn't even entertaining the thought of having some dealership oil jockey put his dirty paws on my vehicle, in attempt to replace the roof, since extrapolating from how this incident came about, leaves a distinct possibility that the replacement part would entail the same cosmetic blemish as the original.

I know this might sound like sacrilege and ironic to some but if it really irked that much, I would probably just paint the carbon roof in a glossy black hue to disguise the said flaw and call it a day, before resorting to having my low production vehicle hacked up.

I hope CS owners find closure in whatever avenue they choose to come to terms with this issue and it doesn't discourage them from an otherwise remarkable piece of machinery.
this type of work is typically outsourced to the local body shop. oil jockeys tend to not actually do the work they aren't trained to do.
Appreciate 1
Hedoniste1141.00

10-15-2020, 08:31 AM   #100
Artemis
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C (BSM)

Close-ups from EURO spec M2 CS cars from Bimmerpost forum members (who indicate that the imperfections are only minor and quite discreet as regards visibility):

(sources: here and here)
Hedoniste1141.00

10-15-2020, 09:00 AM   #101
Poochie
United_States
Rep

A roof R&R, give or take a few steps:

Ain't no way anyone is doing this to my hypothetical brand new CS, in attempt to repair it.

I'll paint the top black and be contented knowing that I could have a have $8,000 CS carbon fiber roof and still conceal it because I got it like that..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 09:13 AM   #102
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
Quote:

this type of work is typically outsourced to the local body shop. oil jockeys tend to not actually do the work they aren't trained to do.
I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure a roof swap would be an in-house job. I've noticed there is an entire passage dedicated to this, in the dealer training manual.

So let say this is true, in theory, one would assume they would summons their highly knowledgeable "Master Technician" for an intricate job like this but from want I've learn, in practice, anyone clocked in for work, that has a minimum of a ASE certification and read a shop manual, gets the ticket that day. It's a roll of dice, the foreman uses the manpower he has..

It a car basically a machine with thousands of parts working in unison, it's not rocket science. My issue is room for human error and possible blowbacks from having to tear-ass open my lid. As a wise man once said; "Shit Happens" 🙌
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 10:51 AM   #103
deceptiv.M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 BMW M3 ZCP

It seems the production process has improved since time has gone on - at the end of the day, even for someone particular like me - this is a minor issue that could be perceived as a feature and makes the car even more unique if this ends up the only car with the pattern.

I feel most CS buyers are secure enough in their purchase to not have this be a major detractor from their enjoyment.
yaymitch457.00

10-15-2020, 10:58 AM   #104
Higgs Boson
Old News, Bud
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure a roof swap would be an in-house job. I've noticed there is an entire passage dedicated to this, in the dealer training manual.

So let say this is true, in theory, one would assume they would summons their highly knowledgeable "Master Technician" for an intricate job like this but from want I've learn, in practice, anyone clocked in for work, that has a minimum of a ASE certification and read a shop manual, gets the ticket that day. It's a roll of dice, the foreman uses the manpower he has..

It a car basically a machine with thousands of parts working in unison, it's not rocket science. My issue is room for human error and possible blowbacks from having to tear-ass open my lid. As a wise man once said; "Shit Happens" 🙌
That's not how it works. Been in the business since 1992.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 11:47 AM   #105
Turbomeister
Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deceptiv.M3 View Post
It seems the production process has improved since time has gone on - at the end of the day, even for someone particular like me - this is a minor issue that could be perceived as a feature and makes the car even more unique if this ends up the only car with the pattern.

I feel most CS buyers are secure enough in their purchase to not have this be a major detractor from their enjoyment.
My opinion about the roof , is that it will become a feature to have unique imperfections on the roof .in reality this is so minor that i havent even look at those imperfections since August ! Anyway , Imagine reviewers after 15 years , joking in a good way for those imperfections , having 2 CS aside , and looking one another and joking where each car has its imperfections . So not only the car will hopefully get some good comments after years , but if this topic with the roof becomes more well known , we will end up joking on wheres the imperfections on any car . And how cool that will be !
AUSf22800.00
Poochie5539.50
Davil2239.00
kepler1137.00

10-15-2020, 11:57 AM   #106
george.ax
Private
Rep
Drives: E28 535i >E39 528iT >E39 540i6

All good, noting that I want the roof that's uniquely perfect (win-win)
Appreciate 1
Hedoniste1141.00

10-15-2020, 12:05 PM   #107
medphysdave
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS waiting list

I was joking and serious when I mentioned you would always be able to track your car by the roof pattern. It a unique identifier.

10-15-2020, 04:58 PM   #108
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
Quote:

That's not how it works. Been in the business since 1992.
Well? You're supposedly oozing with real world experience on the 'business' and you have nothing to add countering my claim but humble bragging?

So tell me, how are you certain whom is assigned what specific job at a franchise dealership service department?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 05:57 PM   #109
AUSf22
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I was joking and serious when I mentioned you would always be able to track your car by the roof pattern. It a unique identifier.
Bahah omg that is so true, I love it.

It's another way to tell the vehicles apart, "my CS has 4 wavey squares on the passenger side and yours has it near the front "
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 09:23 PM   #110
Higgs Boson
Old News, Bud
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well? You're supposedly oozing with real world experience on the 'business' and you have nothing to add countering my claim but humble bragging?

So tell me, how are you certain whom is assigned what specific job at a franchise dealership service department?
Well, I was only replying to your reply to my post so in order to avoid turning it into an argument I purposely refrained from expanding on the thought, which I will continue to do. If you want to decide you have it figured out, that's fine with me. I have nothing to prove to you, it doesn't pay well enough.
Appreciate 0