BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M Performance Coilvers, worth it???

09-21-2020, 07:24 AM   #243
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
1) Leaking rear left shock
2) Leaking rear right shock
3) Adjuster wheel missing
Your experience is so rare that it shouldn't even be posted. The decently large dealership I go to has never had a single claim on an M Performance suspension part, and searching the Net you'll find very few.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 12:15 PM   #244
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Your experience is so rare that it shouldn't even be posted. The decently large dealership I go to has never had a single claim on an M Performance suspension part, and searching the Net you'll find very few.
Guess that makes me the one of the first to actually use the warranty lol

But that's good to know!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 12:48 PM   #245
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
Guess that makes me the one of the first to actually use the warranty lol

But that's good to know!
I think it's just like you said, something was off from day one, and using them under those circumstances for an extended period caused the issue. However, I still don't see that as your problem, which is why warranty covered it. You should be able to use the suspension with any settings you want and not have the fear there will be an issue....especially since it's marketed as a racing suspension.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 02:35 PM   #246
Bewstd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2, RAM 2500

what settings are yall doing for track on the MPC?

some two wheeled fun and a tow rig
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 06:29 PM   #247
j23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

How long a suspension lasts is extremely difficult to gauge IMO. There are too many variables involved: road conditions, weather, driving habits, etc.

While I don't expect MPC to outlast the stock suspension, I don't anticipate them failing in less than 30k miles either.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 12:20 AM   #248
blackmist222777
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg75 View Post
Put the Ohlins RT kit on my M2C. Worth it, and imagine the M Performance coil overs would be, too.
I was thinking of getting this kit as well... however heard that when paired with camber plates, you may hear some noise from time to time... clinging and clanging... do you have camber plates? does yours make noise?

2023 G80 M3
2020 F87 M2C
2011 E82 BMW 1M Series Coupe
Check me out at Point.Shift.Drive (YouTube)
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 05:24 PM   #249
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

M Performance Coilovers are not height adjustable, correct?
      09-22-2020, 05:45 PM   #250
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
M Performance Coilovers are not height adjustable, correct?
incorrect - MPC are height adjustable
      09-22-2020, 06:57 PM   #251
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
All you have to do is cut the coils right Bee Pee
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 08:44 PM   #252
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
So they are height adjustable but they don't drop as low as other coilover setups, correct?

Should I just have the shop set them up to the lowest drop? My goal is to close about half the wheel gap of the stock suspension
      09-22-2020, 11:53 PM   #253
Wei718
Major
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren720s View Post
So they are height adjustable but they don't drop as low as other coilover setups, correct?

Should I just have the shop set them up to the lowest drop? My goal is to close about half the wheel gap of the stock suspension
Correct! The rear does not go as low as say KW V3 but if you’re looking for a mild drop these will definitely do it however the front you can go quite low.

Here’s how mine look after 2 weeks being lowered.
M Performance coilovers.

Measures 23” 3/4 front and rear from edge of fender to bottom of wheel. Front has 7 threads showing and rear has 3 threads showing on the adjusters.

Here’s a comparison from stock height to lowered
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 02:01 PM   #254
Connors5453
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M2

Garage List
2023 BMW M2  [9.17]
Just fitted mine!

Had mine put on my 18' M2, the car feels much better over bumps and overall rides better. Through corners it gets rid of 80-90% of the body roll and is much flatter around turns. I would recommend!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      10-02-2020, 03:12 PM   #255
kart driver
Captain
Rep
Drives: M & GT

The PMS was installed today.

First impressions:
- definitely better feedback on good roads
- definitely more stability while driving fast on good roads
- jumping more on bad roads
- coping with speed bumps better then stock suspension

The settings are standard as recommended by the manufacturer for the height being 595 mm front and 600 mm rear and the comfort.

I am thinking of maybe trying it a bit softer just to understand the difference and to see if the grip on poor roads is getting better.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 11:50 AM   #256
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

I also need help. These are the coil over options I'm thinking of, MP(Warranty), KW V3(adjustability) or Ohlins R/T.

This vehicle gets used for a weekend car and I would like to get a little lower but also reduce body roll and not get a suspension that's too stiff.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 02:05 AM   #257
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

I had the M-Performance coil overs installed last week to my otherwise stock 2017 OG M2 6MT with 35,000km. Ride height was set at 605mm rear, 600 front which is as low as I dared for my driveways. The damping was left at the factory settings.

After 500km, I’m very impressed. I’ve found the ride better overall. Small imperfections are absorbed better with less patter and a comfortably firm, level feel. Large bumps and dips are dealt with vastly better. Through a couple of depressions that used to have the car lurch into, then the rear hop out of, it now just soaks up with the merest dip. And over tricky crests, the back no longer leaps into the air, instead just immediately settling at the new level. There’s also clearly less lateral rocking/bobbing (head toss) and refinement is, as others have found, actually improved. There is a particularly gnarly section of road I drive with what are essentially very large amplitude, low frequency corrugations varying from the left to the right of the lane. Stock the car would wobble, track vaguely requiring constant steering corrections, and hop alarmingly at the rear. Now, it drives straight, with no lateral movement. However its response to the deflections is more terse, more abrupt - as if similar forces are being absorbed more quickly and effectively. So while you feel that visceral lump in the road, it’s over sooner and doesn’t lead to other unwanted movements.

Braking is also better - without that initial dip when you press the pedal, the energy feels more rapidly transferred. And it’s definitely harder to trigger ABS, plus the modulation both at speed and in town is improved.

Steering feel is quite different - as mentioned it tracks straighter and more consistently, the initial turn in is more direct, steering feel is enhanced and response feels more linear and less corrupted.

Handling brings the biggest benefits - on smooth stuff it sits flatter, resists understeer better and so changes direction more sharply and accurately. On throttle, the rear feeds back more, and the car can be steered much more accurately and faithfully. The more off-camber, the bumpier, the greater the difference - several favourite corners where the rear would skip, rock side-to-side then break traction, the car can now simply absorb the dips and bumps while I adjust the trajectory with the right foot. It’s so much sharper and more at ease on variable surfaces - it makes threading through a series of corners much more satisfying.

I’ll experiment with some different settings and explore more favourite roads in coming weeks, plus try it out on track but for now I’m really delighted with how much better the car is to drive, and how trivial the impact - if any - on daily liveability out of the box.
Appreciate 6
Bee Pee1737.50
PLF693762.50
ASAP10054.00
      10-07-2020, 04:45 PM   #258
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post
The PMS was installed today.

First impressions:
- definitely better feedback on good roads
- definitely more stability while driving fast on good roads
- jumping more on bad roads
- coping with speed bumps better then stock suspension

The settings are standard as recommended by the manufacturer for the height being 595 mm front and 600 mm rear and the comfort.

I am thinking of maybe trying it a bit softer just to understand the difference and to see if the grip on poor roads is getting better.

Just an update. Went to the BMW dealer, which originally installed the M perf coilovers and asked if they made everything in accordance with the recommendations in the manual of BMW. Their initial response was: “YES, all settings for rebound and pressure were done as per BMW recommendations” but later when I asked to check it, it turned out that all settings were done at 3 clicks everywhere

They brought their sincere apologies and did everything as per the street settings being
Front: rebound - 9 clicks, pressure - 6 clicks
Rear: rebound - 12 clicks, pressure - 6 clicks

After that I drove the car and could not be happier! The issue, which worried me when the car was a bit jumpy, disappeared completely.

What a huge improvement over the stock suspension!!!

Last edited by kart driver; 10-08-2020 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 05:29 PM   #259
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post
Just an update. Went to the BMW dealer, which originally installed the M perf coilovers and asked if they made everything in accordance with the recommendations in the manual of BMW. Their initial response was: “YES, all settings for rebound and pressure were done as per BMW recommendations” but later when I asked to check it, it turned out that all settings were done at 3 clicks everywhere

They brought their sincere apologies and did everything as per the street settings being
Front: rebound - 9 clicks, pressure - 6 clicks
Rear: rebound - 10 clicks, pressure - 4 clicks

After that I drove the car and could not be happier! The issue, which worried me when the car was a bit jumpy, disappeared completely.

What a huge improvement over the stock suspension!!!
That's different to what most people report from the supplied literature. Perhaps they have revised it but normally, the MPS recommended setting for rear is Rebound 12, compression 6.

But if it's working and you're happy with it, maybe just let it be...

PS. Are we talking M2 here? This is the M2 forum but your profile says you drive a M5???
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 02:20 AM   #260
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
That's different to what most people report from the supplied literature. Perhaps they have revised it but normally, the MPS recommended setting for rear is Rebound 12, compression 6.

PS. Are we talking M2 here? This is the M2 forum but your profile says you drive a M5???

M5 is gone after just one year of ownership as it turned out to be too boring. M2C is still with me and is a keeper
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      10-08-2020, 06:37 AM   #261
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

I was never interested in the M perf coilovers but am more so these days.

Maybe one day it will be my final (and best?) mod.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 08:45 AM   #262
kart driver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post

You are right, my mistake. 12 & 6 for the rear

Appreciate 1
FIDDIE12.00
      10-10-2020, 02:09 PM   #263
KHAP13
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I had the alignment done recently and while switching the wheels today I noticed that the spring is not seated all the way as intended. How big of a problem is this?

I am concerned that if the spring rotates at all the ride height and corner weight would change.

I never personally adjusted the ride height before...If the black spring support rotates independently from the blue collar, would it be possible to rotate that without a spring compressor? Or perhaps if I could prevent the spring from rotating, I could rotate the entire blue collar. Last option is to take it back to shop, but its a long drive.

I really want to make sure the corner balance doesn't change... thoughts?

Thanks!

Name:  image0 (2).jpeg
Views: 565
Size:  258.3 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 07:45 PM   #264
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2

That's not good enough for the reasons you describe. Although it's unlikely to rotate by itself now because it has lifted the corner of the black plastic flange near the end of the spring so that's probably going to hold it in position. Not ideal.

If taking it back to the shop is a long way, you could try and fix it yourself by winding the blue ring all the way down to the bottom of the threads with the wheel in the air to unload the spring as much as possible. Count the turns. Then you might be able to over-rotate it, push the little corner flap back down with the tip of a screwdriver then try and rotate it back into the correct position.

If you are successful with that, you can wind the perch back up the same number of turns then add a bit more to compensate for the now correctly seated spring. How much further? See the diagram below. Take the vertical measurement then add enough turns to bring the perch up that much.

Appreciate 2
KHAP1364.00
M2Pilot277.50