BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Some M2 questions

12-19-2019, 02:10 AM   #1
newcar55
Private
Rep
Drives: Toyota

Some M2 questions

Hey guys,

Really looking forward to own one of these but I had some questions that I couldn't find answers to by searching. Hope you can answer them or link me to posts where they're answered.

1. I've read that the m2 is a little twitchy in general. Will this be a problem in the rain, because I get a LOT of that in the PNW.

2. Is Sunset Orange too flashy around town? I want to DD this car but worrying about someone keying it every time I go out would be a miserable experience. I guess BSM is more subtle?

3. Is Apple Carplay part of the exec package or a separate purchase entirely?
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2019, 02:40 AM   #2
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
1. Rear wheels drive, short wheelbase, a lot of torque, yes it's a little twitchy, it couldn't be different. But it's not a dangerous or undriveable car, it only requires more attention in the rain.
2. It's subjective, I'm not a fan of SO but i don't find it too flashy, it's an M car so it's normal being observed around the streets.
3. I can't answer, but I suppose it is part of standard equipment.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 03:25 AM   #3
goku7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C ED 08/2019

Efficient mode you don't notice twitchiness. You will see it only in sport or sport+. Its a small car with a big //M engine so twitchiness is a given. Powerful rwd cars are not usually the best in rainy weather.

My M2C is SO. Its not flashy at all. It looks bronze with no sun and kind of a dull orange in sunlight. I love it. Subtle but special enough to say this is a special car. not ur usual white or black

BMW has made CarPlay free. no need for exec package or special purchase.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 05:47 AM   #4
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

OP - I'm down in the Portland area and in my second PNW "Winter" with mine. It handles the rain just fine, as long as you have tires on it that are appropriate for the temperature. The stock PSS's were getting twitchy in the rain and on dry roads as the temps fell, but switching to my winter wheels was all it needed. There are plenty of opinions on here in various spots as to if the best route for us in the PNW is to go with a good A/S rain-friendly tire like the Conti DWS 06 or a performance winter tire (like the Michelin Alpin PA4's that come on the BMW 641M winter set...which is what I have). Either choice is likely dandy. I've driven through some serious rain storms and the car handled like a champ on the right tires.

There are a few folks who run their summers year-round in this area, but I don't think it's a great idea.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 06:02 PM   #5
newcar55
Private
Rep

Thanks everyone. Sounds like the solution is the same as everything traction related - get better tires
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 06:35 PM   #6
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

There are a few of us up in the NW with M2Cs.

How familiar are you with RWD in general? The car is not especially twitchy, but it's got a short wheelbase, 400 hp and it's RWD.

If you feel confident catching the rear end on other cars, you'll do fine with the M2c, its not an especially hard car to stay on top of when the rear end does start to go....but it'll go pretty frequently if you drive it aggressively.

That said, it's got electronic nannies that will keep it from getting too out of shape while still being somewhat subtle in their intervention. It's not boring to drive with everything turned on.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 07:54 PM   #7
newcar55
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post

How familiar are you with RWD in general? The car is not especially twitchy, but it's got a short wheelbase, 400 hp and it's RWD.

If you feel confident catching the rear end on other cars, you'll do fine with the M2c, its not an especially hard car to stay on top of when the rear end does start to go....but it'll go pretty frequently if you drive it aggressively.

That said, it's got electronic nannies that will keep it from getting too out of shape while still being somewhat subtle in their intervention. It's not boring to drive with everything turned on.
Uh honestly I haven't driven an RWD for a significant length of time. I understand the concepts and have driven RWD go karts that slide the rear end out, but obviously a 400hp car on public roads is a different beast. I did test drive the car right after a rain storm and the nannies did a good job of keeping everything nice and centered. I think with a good set of tires I'll be alright.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 08:06 PM   #8
MrMiaogi
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 LBB M2 Competition

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcar55 View Post
Quote:

Uh honestly I haven't driven an RWD for a significant length of time. I understand the concepts and have driven RWD go karts that slide the rear end out, but obviously a 400hp car on public roads is a different beast. I did test drive the car right after a rain storm and the nannies did a good job of keeping everything nice and centered. I think with a good set of tires I'll be alright.
You will. Plus time in the car will only improve your skill with it.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2019, 10:44 PM   #9
larry.beck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
There's a pretty sizable contingent of us driving M2 and M2C in the PNW without any problems. We might even look for twisty roads without any traffic occasionally.

12-20-2019, 02:40 AM   #10
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Get some time on a skidpad or fool around in a wet empty parking lot when nobody is looking before turning off the tcs if you're not confident in a rwd car with some power. You'll pick it up quickly if you like karting.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 06:18 AM   #11
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcar55 View Post
I hadn't had a RWD car since 1993 when I bought this car (though every car I had learned on was RWD back in the 80's, and I had been taught to drive by a semi-pro driver with a somewhat wicked sense of humor that leaked into his teaching methods). Give yourself some time to get used to it and I'm sure you'll have tons of fun.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 06:49 AM   #12
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Coming from a M4C it is not twitchy rain or not. It is a sports car and drives like one

IMHO the M4C is kinda a pig, test drive one and you will see.

Don't worry about tires just don't hoon in the rain...Good driving advice for any car
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 08:03 AM   #13
newcar55
Private
Rep

Quote:
Get some time on a skidpad or fool around in a wet empty parking lot when nobody is looking before turning off the tcs if you're not confident in a rwd car with some power. You'll pick it up quickly if you like karting.
Absolutely. No way I'm turning off TC until I know exactly how the car behaves without it.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 04:10 PM   #14
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.74]
You BMWCCA Northwest group and then sign up for the car handling clinic. You will learn how to control your beast.
Appreciate 0