BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Apple Carplay topics

12-10-2019, 02:22 PM   #1211
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

I just got off the phone with them and they said they’re still trying to confirm if 2019 and 2020 models will include free CarPlay or not. I got a free month till they figure their side out.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 02:43 PM   #1212
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
No, they both have CarPlay, it's just the integration on iDrive 6 is more simplistic in its design and in my opinion, more intuitive.

For instance, BMW APPs such as Spotify & Pandora in the iDrive 6 is independent from CarPlay.

On iDrive 7, BMW APPs no longer exist within the iDrive platform and instead you have to load CarPlay to use any of the BMW APPs. Which requires you to dig into menus upon menus to get to most functions to populate.

I get that every new system has a learning curve but it feels like the integration of CarPlay on iDrive 7 is unnecessary complicated.

You have to try both to get where I'm coming from but IMHO, newer is not necessarily better.
Thanks Poochie. I appreciate you explaining this to me.

Since you are familiar with BMW infotainment system, I wonder if I can trouble you with one other question.

I was speaking with a dealer about a brand new MY2018 M2C sitting in the showroom. It was not equipped from the factory with Apple CarPlay. Instead of referring to the BMW CarPlay subscription we are all talking about, he said I could pay for 'something else' (trying to figure out what that other method was) to BMW and that will allow me to use CarPlay. He showed me a BMW app and informed me that, this other way would get me CarPlay and will enable me to lock and unlock the car with the app, etc.,

Do you know what he was talking about? Is there more than one way to get CarPlay on these vehicles?

As far as you know, on MY2018 - MY2020 M2C infotainment systems, when a customer orders a car with CarPlay, does BMW factory fit a new/revised hardware to the vehicle? Or is it just a software to enable the CarPlay feature?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 02:43 PM   #1213
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnazos View Post
I just got off the phone with them and they said they’re still trying to confirm if 2019 and 2020 models will include free CarPlay or not. I got a free month till they figure their side out.
Please let us know when you find out! Mine is a 2019 and subscription ended but I will not pay $300 for this feature when it should have been included for free.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 03:09 PM   #1214
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hithere View Post
Thanks Poochie. I appreciate you explaining this to me.

Since you are familiar with BMW infotainment system, I wonder if I can trouble you with one other question.

I was speaking with a dealer about a brand new MY2018 M2C sitting in the showroom. It was not equipped from the factory with Apple CarPlay. Instead of referring to the BMW CarPlay subscription we are all talking about, he said I could pay for 'something else' (trying to figure out what that other method was) to BMW and that will allow me to use CarPlay. He showed me a BMW app and informed me that, this other way would get me CarPlay and will enable me to lock and unlock the car with the app, etc.,

Do you know what he was talking about? Is there more than one way to get CarPlay on these vehicles?

As far as you know, on MY2018 - MY2020 M2C infotainment systems, when a customer orders a car with CarPlay, does BMW factory fit a new/revised hardware to the vehicle? Or is it just a software to enable the CarPlay feature?

Thanks in advance.
Yes, all new US-bound BMWs are prepped to be CarPlay ready, with the latest hardware available.

I even had a base model X2 recently with the EntryNav2 system (Non-navigation, just the screen) that had CarPlay service active, so it seems BMW is going all in with CarPlay.

So no worries, your vehicle will be CarPlay ready and now that they decided to comp it, there will be no charge for using the service.

What your sales advisor is referring to in regards to locking/unlocking the vehicle is the ConnectDrive APP which allows you to control certain features of your vehicle via a phone app, which is independent from the CarPlay service.

The vehicle's iDrive system itself has a built-in 4G LTE data connection (with At&t) which allows you to communicate functions with your vehicle, via a high-speed stream, which is free for the first four years from the vehicle's delivery date.

The videos below I believe would do a better job at giving you the gist of how it works better than I can convey into a few words.

However, if you have any further questions, PM me and I'm willing to help anyway that I can.

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #1215
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnazos View Post
I just got off the phone with them and they said they’re still trying to confirm if 2019 and 2020 models will include free CarPlay or not. I got a free month until they figure their side out.
At least in Australia, this is how they are pricing. I received a confirmation from BMW.

If you have the latest (iDrive 7) BMW infotainment system, CarPlay is free when you buy the car AND for existing customers.

If you own older infotainment system, but you have paid for CarPlay at some point in the past, BMW will unlock your CarPlay for life. I'm not sure about the distinction between currently subscribed vs subscription expired owners.

However, and this is the boat I am in, if you are ordering a new car (M2C to be built in Feb 2020, delivery April 2020) with an older infotainment unit (iDrive 6) you have to pay once. After that, they confirmed that it is free.

Just a couple of weeks ago, 'paying once' had options. For example, for 1 year (AUD$179), 3 years (AUD$379) or unlimited (AUD$639). Now, there is only unlock-for-life option for AUD$450 (which must be the same USD$300 fee we are talking about here).

Most of the news outlets are reporting that CarPlay is free on all new and past BMW that are capable of CarPlay. This could become a PR issue for BMW. Get free CarPlay on 1-series but have to pay on M-car with double the price tag.

Last edited by ///Driver; 12-13-2019 at 10:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 04:48 PM   #1216
BMWM2_Alan
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Another thumbs up for kubax86 - Full screen CarPlay installed in my M2, most excellent !

Very easy to do.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 06:34 PM   #1217
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Yes, perhaps it is illogical of me to reconsider such a purchase based on revised CarPlay pricing. Perhaps, my original post was tarnished by my negativity. No doubt, I will still purchase the M2C.

I would be interested to hear what others think of CarPlay being offered for free on some cars, while others pay.
You're perfectly correct. I'd be hacked off too. And I would hope that the dealer would knock $450 off the price for the sale.

Perhaps contact another dealer ?
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN13119.00
      12-10-2019, 07:37 PM   #1218
Destroya
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

The dealer should eat the 450 in this situation. That would just be good customer relations. Let the dealer hassle BMW about the difference. But no matter what happens I would still buy the car, it’s worth it.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2019, 08:17 PM   #1219
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

BMW are posting record sales. All the crying about Carplay is so overblown. Pay the money and move on, its a complete non issue.
Appreciate 3
cptobvious2531.50
Poochie9099.00
smknjoe234.00
      12-10-2019, 08:21 PM   #1220
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
BMW Assist confirmed yesterday via phone that CarPlay is now free. I was told customers would receive affirmation within the next 2 weeks.
You called? I still see it as $300 in ConnectedDrive store on my car and online...and I guess you can no longer get apps in the in-car ConnectedDrive Store app?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 04:10 AM   #1221
///Driver
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Thanks again Poochie,

I understand the iDrive system and the app better thanks to your links to video tutorials. Helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Yes, all new US-bound BMWs are prepped to be CarPlay ready, with the latest hardware available.

I even had a base model X2 recently with the EntryNav2 system (Non-navigation, just the screen) that had CarPlay service active, so it seems BMW is going all in with CarPlay.

So no worries, your vehicle will be CarPlay ready and now that they decided to comp it, there will be no charge for using the service.
Lucky you! I confirmed with BMW Australia and that is not how it is setup. It is early days and there seems to be some mixed messages and confusions from the HQ, dealer, media, dog next door. I'm sure time will provide the answer at some point.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 06:57 AM   #1222
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
You called? I still see it as $300 in ConnectedDrive store on my car and online...and I guess you can no longer get apps in the in-car ConnectedDrive Store app?
Yes, I called and performed the update from the ConnectedDrive folder as they suggested. I was told the car needed to be locked for 15-20 mins post update and further that the update could take up to 24hrs. CarPlay appeared about 48 hrs later; related or not IDK. I was later told CarPlay installs could take up to 2 weeks for BMW to sort out. It works great now. ConnectedDrive Store from iDrive on the other hand populates when it chooses and works half the time.

Last edited by devo; 12-11-2019 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 02:20 PM   #1223
marko61
Registered
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW 3series

Hi all, my first post hear and hope I can get help help with Apple CarPlay on my F30.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 03:39 PM   #1224
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Yes, I called and performed the update from the ConnectedDrive folder as they suggested. I was told the car needed to be locked for 15-20 mins post update and further that the update could take up to 24hrs. CarPlay appeared about 48 hrs later; related or not IDK. I was later told CarPlay installs could take up to 2 weeks for BMW to sort out. It works great now. ConnectedDrive Store from iDrive on the other hand populates when it chooses and works half the time.
Sorry, what is this process: "performed the update from the ConnectedDrive folder as they suggested"?

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      12-11-2019, 05:04 PM   #1225
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko61 View Post
Hi all, my first post hear and hope I can get help help with Apple CarPlay on my F30.
Hello,
Send me pm with your vin
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 09:21 PM   #1226
kaito1410
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 2017

Another thumbs up to kubax86 - Full screen carplay working on my MY17 Canadian M2 (No enhanced bluetooth or any additional wireless package). Software was on NBTevo_R19144I. Installation was a breeze, just restart idrive after installation and carplay option shows up under adding a mobile device!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 09:23 PM   #1227
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

I received this from BMW Canada, today.

My car is a 2019.

12-11-2019, 10:14 PM   #1228
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition DCT BSM

Quote:
Sorry, what is this process: "performed the update from the ConnectedDrive folder as they suggested"?

Thanks!
Anyone in Australia know anything it is still shown as a $450 purchase, also my dealer had no clue (That is not unusual).

And then notice on the 2 series GC the below in specifications...does not sound like it is free.
"6CP Apple CarPlay Compatibility with 1 Year Trial"
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 10:55 PM   #1229
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Please let us know when you find out! Mine is a 2019 and subscription ended but I will not pay $300 for this feature when it should have been included for free.
Give BMW Assist a call (1-888-333-6118), they'll give you one month free until they get things sorted out on their end.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 07:22 AM   #1230
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:

Thanks!
iircc: go to ConnectedDrive Folder > select Option button on center console > Update BMW Assist... you may wish to confirm with BMW Assist.

I don't know that this actually installed CarPlay as BMW is updating cars over the next couple weeks anyway. As many of us know, if you call BMW Assist/Genius 5 times, you'll usually get at least 4 different answers.
lax01792.50
      12-12-2019, 09:08 PM   #1231
Cadillac
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition DCT BSM

Quote:
Yes, perhaps it is illogical of me to reconsider such a purchase based on revised CarPlay pricing. Perhaps, my original post was tarnished by my negativity. No doubt, I will still purchase the M2C.

I would be interested to hear what others think of CarPlay being offered for free on some cars, while others pay.
Also in Australia
I paid $1.00 for a month trial of Apple Car play on my M2...Meh...waste of time.
I just have the phone in the wireless charger in the center arm rest, use Bluetooth and play music via Spotify it shows all the album covers and detail you need.
Use controller to scroll to what is required...playlists etc.
Being in Australia we certainly know we get ripped off on almost everything we buy...I know as I lived in the US for 8 years and go back regularly.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2019, 04:21 AM   #1232
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

Just get it added in after, will cost you less than $100!
Appreciate 0