BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Ask a Pro Detailer from Detailer's Domain

05-21-2019, 08:30 PM   #353
boostm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessetaylor1 View Post
DetailersDomain Hey Phil, Kev, whoever is answering haha. I used a clay bar yesterday for the first time on the front of my car. Finishing rest today.

I'm a bit concerned about the pressure that was required to take out some stubborn spots. I had to definitely use more pressure than what I thought I had to. And other areas down near the side skirts near the front wheel didn't come out.

Thoughts?
Not sure if clay bar was the right tool for this if a lot of pressure was required.. Usually it glides across a well lubricated surface to remove grit and surface imperfections.
      05-23-2019, 09:49 AM   #354
jessetaylor1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
Not sure if clay bar was the right tool for this if a lot of pressure was required.. Usually it glides across a well lubricated surface to remove grit and surface imperfections.
Yeah, I agree. Well, it's done now so I'll have to do paint correction at some point anyway if I scratched the paint. Sure I did
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 08:43 AM   #355
dk23
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 6MT

This may have already been addressed earlier so I apologize if it has but wanted to ask about car covers and what your thoughts are for using them (outdoor application)! I know the general consensus is that a cover is fine to use as long as the car/cover itself are relatively clean. My main question is weather its better for the car to sit outside in the rain and not be washed for a few days, risking water spots OR would it be better to cover a car that isn't completely clean (for example washed a couple days earlier, lightly driven with a light layer of pollen on the car). Which would you say is the lesser of two evils in this scenario? Should I just let the car sit in the rain and wash it properly when I can or cover a car that isn't completely clean risking minor scratches?

For reference, this is the car cover I have: https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/pro...r-cover.C-CCNH
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 08:30 PM   #356
2PUTT
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk23 View Post
This may have already been addressed earlier so I apologize if it has but wanted to ask about car covers and what your thoughts are for using them (outdoor application)! I know the general consensus is that a cover is fine to use as long as the car/cover itself are relatively clean. My main question is weather its better for the car to sit outside in the rain and not be washed for a few days, risking water spots OR would it be better to cover a car that isn't completely clean (for example washed a couple days earlier, lightly driven with a light layer of pollen on the car). Which would you say is the lesser of two evils in this scenario? Should I just let the car sit in the rain and wash it properly when I can or cover a car that isn't completely clean risking minor scratches?

For reference, this is the car cover I have: https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/pro...r-cover.C-CCNH
i prefer an uncovered car all day everyday. this is the very same reason i leave my grill uncovered. covering normally leads to moisture being trapped under the covers. this is one of the worst things to do to the car.

my cars normally get PPF and ceramic coating before i even take them home. a self-healing PPF like Xpel will help ease your scratch concerns. the ceramic on top of the PPF only makes it very easy to clean. sometimes, you just have to hose the car down and drive...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 10:06 PM   #357
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
DetailersDomain (if this thread is still being monitored) or anyone else, what is the best method to clean the seams/edges of a clear bra? I've always had darkish gray cars and never had to worry about this, but my new M2C is Hockenheim Sliver...it seems hard to remove all the dirt from the seams.

Thanks!
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 10:07 AM   #358
2PUTT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
DetailersDomain (if this thread is still being monitored) or anyone else, what is the best method to clean the seams/edges of a clear bra? I've always had darkish gray cars and never had to worry about this, but my new M2C is Hockenheim Sliver...it seems hard to remove all the dirt from the seams.

Thanks!
Where do you have the edges exposed? Are you also ceramic coated (this normally helps)?

From experience, staying on top of it is key. Ceramic coating helps since it can repel the extra dirt. Other than using steam, here are some products I use to stay on top of keeping my HS clean.

Nanolex SiFinish
- small bottle will last very very long (can be used as a drying agent)

Kenotek - still impressed with this through the years. (can be used as a drying agent)

Sonax Spray And Seal
Appreciate 1
KevinM2931.00
      07-01-2019, 02:17 PM   #359
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PUTT View Post
Where do you have the edges exposed? Are you also ceramic coated (this normally helps)?

From experience, staying on top of it is key. Ceramic coating helps since it can repel the extra dirt. Other than using steam, here are some products I use to stay on top of keeping my HS clean.
Thanks! I happened on the drive home from the dealership in Phoenix to my home in Tucson, so I had not had a chance to coat it yet. The leading (vertical edge) of the OE PPF in front of the wheel arches picked up some dirt; the horizontal edge is still very clean. It will be removed in a week and replaced with a much larger piece that will extend to the door, so hopefully that will help.

I'll check out some of those products! I have Kenotec, and have been using Hydrosilex Recharge most recently.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 03:51 PM   #360
2PUTT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Thanks! I happened on the drive home from the dealership in Phoenix to my home in Tucson, so I had not had a chance to coat it yet. The leading (vertical edge) of the OE PPF in front of the wheel arches picked up some dirt; the horizontal edge is still very clean. It will be removed in a week and replaced with a much larger piece that will extend to the door, so hopefully that will help.

I'll check out some of those products! I have Kenotec, and have been using Hydrosilex Recharge most recently.
Awesome!! I had great initial results with Hydrosilex. I used it in my previous car. One thing I did notice was the surface got tacky. I guess the best way to describe it was that the surface attracted lots of dirt. The paint can look clean and shiny but when you touch it, it was pretty rough. I have switched since then.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 03:48 PM   #361
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PUTT View Post
Awesome!! I had great initial results with Hydrosilex. I used it in my previous car. One thing I did notice was the surface got tacky. I guess the best way to describe it was that the surface attracted lots of dirt. The paint can look clean and shiny but when you touch it, it was pretty rough. I have switched since then.
It was almost easier when it was just Zaino, which I used for 12+ years (and still use on the M5 and Z4M coupe). On the F80 M3 and now M2C I have already used two different sealants (Sonax PNS) and Hydrosilex and will probably try yours next...
Appreciate 1
dmboone254970.50
      08-11-2019, 10:38 AM   #362
makeitbetter
Private
Rep
Drives: 21' X5 xdrive40i

What's the best brand for ceramic coatings? Was thinking about doing this myself with the m2 - I found Migliore and a couple of other options but can't trust Amazon reviews any longer and the "review" sites are just pushing product for referrals.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 10:18 AM   #363
2PUTT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitbetter View Post
What's the best brand for ceramic coatings? Was thinking about doing this myself with the m2 - I found Migliore and a couple of other options but can't trust Amazon reviews any longer and the "review" sites are just pushing product for referrals.
I prefer Nanolex. Fictech has a ceramic coat that is good for 1 year. for DIYer, i think this is a great option since the long term ceramics tend to be very difficult to remove (required major compounding).

here is a link to some of your choices - COATINGS.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:36 PM   #364
BlacMacJac
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW '20 M2C

for one of these pressure foam guns - what type/level of compressor is required? I have a very handy compressor I use for car tires and can also power a entry level nail gun type device - are these foam gun in need of something more?

Also, am I just as good off using one of the water hose powered ones?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 05:00 PM   #365
2PUTT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacMacJac View Post
for one of these pressure foam guns - what type/level of compressor is required? I have a very handy compressor I use for car tires and can also power a entry level nail gun type device - are these foam gun in need of something more?

Also, am I just as good off using one of the water hose powered ones?
they require pressure washers not compressors.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 08:17 PM   #366
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

What's the best way to clean your steering wheel? Sometimes I'll be working on my car and then need to drive it and I can't get my hands 100% clean.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 10:55 AM   #367
tranck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpine White BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaso View Post
What's the best way to clean your steering wheel? Sometimes I'll be working on my car and then need to drive it and I can't get my hands 100% clean.
Damp white washcloth works best - nothing to hurt the finish and you can see the dirt with the white more easily.
Appreciate 1
kpaso183.00
      08-26-2019, 08:59 AM   #368
2PUTT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaso View Post
you can try this - SONAX LEATHER FOAM.

Appreciate 1
kpaso183.00
      10-01-2019, 03:10 PM   #369
WedgeSalad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

Whats the best way to reduce scratches when washing/drying black sapphire metallic? So far I've considered getting a foam cannon setup (expensive but do-able), ONR bucket, ONR plus pressure washer or upgrading my 2 bucket wash mits/materials with a garden hose.

I live in socal and usually have to deal with hard water and washing with some sort of sun on the car. Car has been ceramic coated.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 06:49 PM   #370
aguy
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgeSalad View Post
Whats the best way to reduce scratches when washing/drying black sapphire metallic? So far I've considered getting a foam cannon setup (expensive but do-able), ONR bucket, ONR plus pressure washer or upgrading my 2 bucket wash mits/materials with a garden hose.

I live in socal and usually have to deal with hard water and washing with some sort of sun on the car. Car has been ceramic coated.
I don't know if it's the best way but it's certainly the easiest way I've found. I use a griots water deionizer with a cheap foam cannon setup for washing and a leaf blower for drying.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 06:55 PM   #371
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

you got a good start for sure.

If working with onr, I would use as many clean sides as possibly, lots of towels, pat dry, and blow drying will help.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #372
WedgeSalad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailersDomain View Post
you got a good start for sure.

If working with onr, I would use as many clean sides as possibly, lots of towels, pat dry, and blow drying will help.
Okay thanks for the input!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #373
WedgeSalad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguy View Post
I don't know if it's the best way but it's certainly the easiest way I've found. I use a griots water deionizer with a cheap foam cannon setup for washing and a leaf blower for drying.
oh cool i like the idea of a water deionizer, thank you
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2019, 01:48 AM   #374
Vulpe
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Garage List
Ok well, I have my M2C coming in from the mainland. Surprise, just found out it has dealer installed ceramic coating.

I planned to do a full paint correction, Professional PPF install, then ceramic coating myself. How aggressive do I have to go to remove the unknown ceramic coating? I planned to do a one step polish with Rupes Yellow Pad and Sonax Perfect Finish. Do you think this combo would be strong enough to cut through the coating?

Luckily I decided to pick up a bottle of Jescar Correcting Compound in case I had to do some small spot cutting. Should I grab a few microfiber cutting pads just in case? Of course I'm going to test with the Rupes+Sonax combo first but just want a back up plan. I already have the PPF appointment in and I really don't want to have to push it back. I want the PPF installed ASAP before I start dailying the M2C and off load my 440i.
Appreciate 0