BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Torque limited in 1st Gear

08-28-2019, 07:43 AM   #23
BlkSVT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2c BSM, 2020 MB GLC63

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Try it with DSC off and you'll see what happens.

DSC is actively limiting torque without any flashing lights in 1st and 2nd for sure, so it just "feels" less because DSC is making it less.
^^^^^^^ This.

Sport+/MDM still is limiting from what I can tell. Unless you get it going sideways a little and keep your foot in it, then it doesn't seem to pull back
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 09:26 AM   #24
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkSVT View Post
^^^^^^^ This.

Sport+/MDM still is limiting from what I can tell. Unless you get it going sideways a little and keep your foot in it, then it doesn't seem to pull back
MDM is programmed to let you slide it on the throttle and it carefully controls the torque for you to give nice controlled slides and enough wheelspin to leave black lines, even with varying opposite lock on - makes me fell like a hero! - and still no flashing light.

But when I turned DSC OFF and tried the same trick, flaring wheel spin, hit the rev limiter and nealy spun the car.

So it is still nannying for sure in MDM (that's why its called a "mode"), it's just the technology is so subtle these days its hard to tell unless you go looking for it.

Best to practice these things with DSC off then you have real throttle response and uninterrupted behaviour...

Last edited by doughboy; 08-28-2019 at 09:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
auggiem3295.00
      08-28-2019, 07:53 PM   #25
auggiem3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C & E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkSVT View Post
^^^^^^^ This.

MDM is programmed to let you slide it on the throttle and it carefully controls the torque for you to give nice controlled slides and enough wheelspin to leave black lines, even with varying opposite lock on - makes me fell like a hero! - and still no flashing light.

But when I turned DSC OFF and tried the same trick, flaring wheel spin, hit the rev limiter and nealy spun the car.

So it is still nannying for sure in MDM (that's why its called a "mode"), it's just the technology is so subtle these days its hard to tell unless you go looking for it.

Best to practice these things with DSC off then you have real throttle response and uninterrupted behaviour...
Great point. I don't hear it enough.

"Practice" with DSC off. New car (or new track or new road or new conditions) needs some cushion.

I have driven on track for years with DSC disabled but always learn a new track, car or situation with MDM. The more the light flickers, the more you need to learn.

Build up to driving hard and enjoy!

I'm super pumped to get into an M2C - but even with years of DSC off, I'm going MDM until the car and I become acquainted.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50