BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > Owner Topic - MR from Czech Republic - M2 CSL Turbomeister Edition revealed

06-27-2019, 07:21 AM   #507
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Earlier this week I collected my car at AST Suspension. All the work was done at the end of the week. While having my lunch in their office, GreatWhiteM2 dropped a message to the AST team discussing some of my upgrades... Especially the top mounts

I took the car from NL and drove to Germany to the Next-gen event in Welt where I spotted all the latest cars from BMW and the extremely ugly future concept thing that should show the world of M in the near future. They are going to build that thing. My good lord... Time to emigrate from M Town and handing in my M Town passport.

I am now back in Prague after doing about 1100 km and I need to do some adjustments to make it to my liking. I will do tomorrow, while also checking if a set of Cup2's fits on the car. All in all, I will set it a touch harder on the rebound and aligning the car in a certain way, but that is just me and my personal requirements.

Total set up feels great. The AST 5100 is a great addition to the car. I might be a touch harder than I initially remembered from a car I drove last year. But that was a M2 and not a M2C, and we all know that the M2C is stiffer in the front end and more planted.

Interesting bit is the way the roll of the car is minimized and its balance has been improved, while there is still a decent level of comfort left in the car. I drove the set up on AC Schnitzer's M2C a few weeks back and that was a lot harder. They used a KW3. The car was also a lot more nervous than the set up I have now.

Quite happy with what I have now, but I need to tune it a bit too my liking. Looking at the photos below, I did not go really low and left some decent space so that I can get into my garage. As soon as I am happy with the setup, I will give a better overview of what I have done and how the final result feels like. I am happy right now, but there are few changes needed here and there to finish it off.

MR
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Poochie9103.00
mhanism277.00
akkando5863.00
Jarran10.50
      06-27-2019, 09:19 AM   #508
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Wheels specs?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 04:26 PM   #509
vale007
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e82 1 M coupe

i don‘t understand why someone install that nice rims and than .. standard Michelin pss tires.. the Michelin cup2 is so much better, in every condition.. I was driving it in damp and wet conditions against another m2c with pss, cup2 was better! what a pitty!

but i‘m more oz racing superforgiata matt gun gray.. than bbs, just my taste..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 05:15 PM   #510
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vale007 View Post
i don‘t understand why someone install that nice rims and than .. standard Michelin pss tires.. the Michelin cup2 is so much better, in every condition.. I was driving it in damp and wet conditions against another m2c with pss, cup2 was better! what a pitty!

I am running Cup 2's now... I will write an update tomorrow.

MR
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 05:16 PM   #511
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by _RS4_ View Post
Wheels specs?
BBS FI R, standard specification in 19 inch

MR
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 02:22 AM   #512
vale007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
I am running Cup 2's now... I will write an update tomorrow.

MR
Good Choice!

if you push i recommend cold 2,0-2,1bar (approx. 30PSI) all around, this is warm 2,3-2,4bar (35PSI), that works good! (I‘ve stage 1+ tuning 400kw/550hp 750nm I think that stress the tire a bit more as stock)

after 30min I would reduce to 2,1(30PSI) all tires again, if you continue to push hard (mountain or track), works well, for autobahn or not big loads 2,4 is ok.

remember: 2.1 warm will be 1.8 cold and your car will ask for tire pressure immediately.. enjoy your new tires!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 06:36 AM   #513
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Good Choice!

if you push i recommend cold 2,0-2,1bar (approx. 30PSI) all around, this is warm 2,3-2,4bar (35PSI), that works good! (I‘ve stage 1+ tuning 400kw/550hp 750nm I think that stress the tire a bit more as stock)

after 30min I would reduce to 2,1(30PSI) all tires again, if you continue to push hard (mountain or track), works well, for autobahn or not big loads 2,4 is ok.

remember: 2.1 warm will be 1.8 cold and your car will ask for tire pressure immediately.. enjoy your new tires!
Thanks for the information! I am running 2.4 right now which is fine. Climbs to 2.5 and 2.6 on the highway, which is fine as well for now.

MR
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 11:11 AM   #514
vale007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the information! I am running 2.4 right now which is fine. Climbs to 2.5 and 2.6 on the highway, which is fine as well for now.

MR
may i ask you to upload your suspension alignments? camber?

my car was with oem settings very very nervous at high speeds with cup2s! above 250 with warm tire from cornering 2 lanes where needed to control it, at speeds above 280 horror!

also at hard braking on countryroads, car is following everything in the tarmac surface.. I don’t know if you are able to ask your tire for so much, do you really load the front when cornering and braking to gain that temp inside the tire..?

after hot/cold difference is 0,4bar (5-6PSI), hot 2,1 works much better, car feels balanced and less nervous
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 04:26 AM   #515
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
may i ask you to upload your suspension alignments? camber?

my car was with oem settings very very nervous at high speeds with cup2s! above 250 with warm tire from cornering 2 lanes where needed to control it, at speeds above 280 horror!

also at hard braking on countryroads, car is following everything in the tarmac surface.. I don’t know if you are able to ask your tire for so much, do you really load the front when cornering and braking to gain that temp inside the tire..?

after hot/cold difference is 0,4bar (5-6PSI), hot 2,1 works much better, car feels balanced and less nervous
For now I just drive chill to test my suspension set up. Time will tell how the tire will work under certain pressures.

We put 1.5 at the rear and 2.1 at the front when it comes to camber. Toe is almost zero.

MR
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 05:26 AM   #516
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Curious of your impressions after the final setup, I love how the stock car ride, but it's a bit too high. KW V3 is too hard for my tastes, I'm looking for lowering the car with something of less harsh than KW/MP coilvers.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 10:44 AM   #517
vale007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Curious of your impressions after the final setup, I love how the stock car ride, but it's a bit too high. KW V3 is too hard for my tastes, I'm looking for lowering the car with something of less harsh than KW/MP coilvers.
What do you think; is the softest setting of bilstein clubsport more comfortable on the highway/autobahn as stock OEM suspension?

is it possible to run slick tires with this suspension? 250/650 R19 looks promising! anyone experience with that?

i really like the idea(the possibility) of changing the settings very easy, like controlling/setting tire pressure at the gas station. both setup-wheels at the bilstein clubsport are within reach when installed, front on the very bottom, rear at the top-end of the damper.

i’m on the move to get the bilstein clubsport, it looks stable longlasting, if so i‘ll post pictures soon!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 11:04 AM   #518
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What do you think; is the softest setting of bilstein clubsport more comfortable on the highway/autobahn as stock OEM suspension?

is it possible to run slick tires with this suspension? 250/650 R19 looks promising! anyone experience with that?

i really like the idea(the possibility) of changing the settings very easy, like controlling/setting tire pressure at the gas station. both setup-wheels at the bilstein clubsport are within reach when installed, front on the very bottom, rear at the top-end of the damper.

i’m on the move to get the bilstein clubsport, it looks stable longlasting, if so i‘ll post pictures soon!
Never tried Bilstein Clubsport, and definitely out of budget
I don't want to change the setup every time, I need a compromise between confort and handling and never touch it again.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 11:09 AM   #519
msdss
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2020 BMW M2C

Garage List
Quote:
BBS FI R, standard specification in 19 inch

MR
How much of a drop did you do front/rear?

Have you noticed any rubbing or clearance issues in daily use in this setup?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 12:01 PM   #520
vale007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Never tried Bilstein Clubsport, and definitely out of budget
I don't want to change the setup every time, I need a compromise between confort and handling and never touch it again.
The AC Schnitzer (KW V3!?) should be great in terms of comfort- spring rates - should be softer than normal KW V3. (I also like the „stealth“ look) even MR. says it is „harder“ than his AST.

Bilstein CS is on sandtler24.de price reduced, approx 3.5k incl 20% tax. I think it should be possible to get 2k after 2years if you sell it used. for AST maybe not.

Last edited by vale007; 07-01-2019 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2019, 12:04 PM   #521
vale007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdss View Post
How much of a drop did you do front/rear?

Have you noticed any rubbing or clearance issues in daily use in this setup?
@MR
have you installed spacers (are any necessary for the suspension?)
Is the ET/size of the BBS FI-R rim at the front 9.5x19 ET22?

Are you using anti roll bars as well? front and rear?

thanks for info in advance!

Last edited by vale007; 07-01-2019 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 04:34 AM   #522
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
@MR
have you installed spacers (are any necessary for the suspension?)
Is the ET/size of the BBS FI-R rim at the front 9.5x19 ET22?

Are you using anti roll bars as well? front and rear?

thanks for info in advance!
No anti-roll bars anywhere added to the set up. The rims fit and don't touch. I lowered 10 mm front and 15 mm rear. I can go lower, but I don't really want to go lower. No idea what the ET value of the FI R's is.

MR
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 04:56 AM   #523
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Back in the forum after about two weeks, sorry for not being able to reply sooner, but the past two weeks have absolutely been flat-out with FoS and two Sennas being hit or going up in fire.

After all the Goodwood Festival of Speed mayhem, a closer look at maybe my new GP3 and a ride up the hill in the new X4 M (the S58 is a super engine, but I will leave that for another talk), I took the M2C for a drive on some country roads, where the suspension came into its own. Only thing is that I never fully was on it. We drove in a group of M cars and not everyone was on it, so I got a taste of it, but not the full meal so to speak. After this I took the car for a highway drive to the Slovakiaring for a driving event piloting the new Huracan Evo. Story to follow!

A few things that I can share are the following. First of all, the noise levels inside the cabin have gone up. I hear a lot more road noise from the front of the car than I did initially. My initial drive before the alignment and wheel change already had this issue and I was like maybe the alignment will fix this... Of course I went from PSS to Cup2 which doesn't help, but on certain road surfaces (especially here in Prague, I am like damn what a noise is coming from the front. Not sure what to do other than going to PS4 tires and which are a lot more quiet.

MR
Attached Images

Last edited by MR.; 12-13-2022 at 05:04 AM..
Appreciate 3
akkando5863.00
Jarran10.50
      07-15-2019, 05:50 AM   #524
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:

What are you saying
Cup 2 is only better in the dry and in summertime. PSS is better in wet and damp conditions. Cup 2 is indeed an awesome tyre when they get a little heat in them in the dry. When you say Cup 2 is better in the rain and damp then PSS, you are misleading people into potential dangerous situations. Yes I have driven both PSS + Cup 2 on track, dry, damp and rain. You are claiming things that Michelin themselves or any tyrereview are not claiming....
      07-15-2019, 05:53 AM   #525
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Good Choice!

True; I used around the same pressure on my Cup 2 set-up and this worked also good for me.
      07-15-2019, 07:24 AM   #526
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
A few things that I can share are the following. First of all, the noise levels inside the cabin have gone up. I hear a lot more road noise from the front of the car than I did initially. My initial drive before the alignment and wheel change already had this issue and I was like maybe the alignment will fix this... Of course I went from PSS to Cup2 which doesn't help, but on certain road surfaces (especially here in Prague, I am like damn what a noise is coming from the front. Not sure what to do other than going to PS4 tires and which are a lot more quiet.
Marc,

What top mounts are you using with yr AST 5100 ? If using AST mounts then some added NVH is to be expected TBH, which will be exaggerated anyway, due to both more robust coilover suspension and MPSC2 tyres.

Quote:
Another point of note is that I still have a vibration in my steering wheel at 140 kmh, so I need to look at the alignment again. Maybe my 30 minute stint with a loose drop link messed up the alignment again. Let's wait and see.
Marc,

Has vibration been there since the AST install or since as you say the drop link getting loose ? If the latter, then I'd be more inclined to get your front wheels re-balanced.

Just my 2c worth,

BP

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 07:36 AM   #527
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Good Choice!

What tuning do you have that gets you 550hp?? I am very interested.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 12:37 PM   #528
vale007
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzino View Post
What are you saying
Cup 2 is only better in the dry and in summertime. PSS is better in wet and damp conditions. Cup 2 is indeed an awesome tyre when they get a little heat in them in the dry. When you say Cup 2 is better in the rain and damp then PSS, you are misleading people into potential dangerous situations. Yes I have driven both PSS + Cup 2 on track, dry, damp and rain. You are claiming things that Michelin themselves or any tyrereview are not claiming....
Hi, DOT 2019 Cup2* in OEM Dimension was guaranteed better in the damp and wet (no standing water, no aquaplaning) as the PSS DOT late 2018. i was chasing my own car with cup2* (1.500-1.600km on them, rather new) with the car of my friend (pss, 4.000km). same time, location speed and weather..
Attached Images

Last edited by vale007; 07-15-2019 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 0