BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 LCI vs M2C purchase

04-17-2019, 01:17 PM   #23
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Same thing with the lci, you can feel slam back torque at regular driving speeds as well, idk where youre saying its not torquey
I didn't say that the M2 it isn't torquey. I said the the M2C has much more of it. The m2 has 343 ft-lbs of torque and the M2C has 404. That is a huge difference. Torque is what throws you back in the seat and makes your heart pound.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 01:24 PM   #24
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
The way the S55 is tuned in the M2C, it drives like a NA engine. I shift my 6MT like I shift my motorcycle. It just revs effortlessly. The N55 does not drive that way. It drives more like a turbo car with a gush of power early on but it doesn't feel like it wants to rev. The butt/back dyno performance at 4000 is exhilarating. That slam back in the seat is something that you can feel any time you want without even breaking the speed limit.Torque baby!
I know what you mean, I feel like the M2 is fast, even off the line with its peppy throttle and loud exhaust; it feels like you taking-off faster than you are. It's what I would call 'emotional speed.'

Hop into my friend's tune GTR and sound aside, it feels like your insides are dropping when you step on the throttle, it's an actual scary feeling, not just emotion.

Both are what I would consider fast but with that extra torque, you can literally feel it in your guts, like a roller-coaster.

I imagine that's how a similar 6 bi-turbo in the M2C would feel, with the boost turned up to 10.

I long to own an extra-torquey vehicle like this one day that scares the shit out me to drive; like Eleanor in "Gone In 60 Seconds." Only torque, not horsepower can give you that rush.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2019, 01:42 PM   #25
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
get all wheel drive if you are in canada and it a daily year round. M2 just aint the right car
We had near record snow in February this winter and my M2 made it through like a champ. It's all about the tires.
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2019, 01:55 PM   #26
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
We had near record snow in February this winter and my M2 made it through like a champ. It's all about the tires.
I agree tires can make all the difference in the world and for most people snow tires are enough. There are driving situations such as driving on steep alpine twisties where 4WD is a nice thing to have. Most people don't commute on roads like that though. I once climbed up the mountain to my house during a snow storm in my Audi Quattro. My neighbors with 2 wheel drives were stranded on the side of the road. Even some 4WD were stuck. My Audi Quattro just plowed up to the top like it was nothing...amazing 4WD system.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 01:57 PM   #27
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SConn View Post
Sensitive much?

For the driving I do, the N55 does everything I need. My 2017 Grand Sport Vette did even more and I couldn't ever enjoy it on the streets. So as far as "superiority" goes, I'm glad you're happy with your S55.
Nope not sensitive just objective. I owned a 2017 M2, liked it, got a 2019 M2C like it even more. The engine makes a huge difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 05:30 PM   #28
SConn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Nope not sensitive just objective. I owned a 2017 M2, liked it, got a 2019 M2C like it even more. The engine makes a huge difference.
And my point was that I jusr don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. I could be wrong, but I don't lose sleep over it for sure.
      04-17-2019, 05:40 PM   #29
junx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

LCI all the way
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2019, 07:41 PM   #30
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Quote:
Quote:
get all wheel drive if you are in canada and it a daily year round. M2 just aint the right car
100% these cars would perform admirably with the right tires. Besides, we have plows in Canada

Pick the lci
Appreciate 3
heavyD^23688.50
      04-17-2019, 07:52 PM   #31
Slowphiveo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition

Every one of these threads eventually devolves into a chest thumping competition between OG/LCI cars and Competition cars... OP, forget what anyone says on here...go drive both and see which one you like better. Both have pros and cons. Both are great cars, with one being a slight upgrade in performance over the other, but other being a great value buy with minimal performance lost. Ultimately it's your choice. Dont get bogged down by all the friendly fire on these threads.
Appreciate 4
qnet681.50
tranck500.50
      04-17-2019, 08:31 PM   #32
mcarfan
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Subaru Impreza

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo View Post
Quote:
Quote:
100% these cars would perform admirably with the right tires. Besides, we have plows in Canada

Pick the lci
+1.
With all due respect, but the M2 is the right car for winter driving, provided that is equipped with proper winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 08:40 PM   #33
mcarfan
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowphiveo View Post
Every one of these threads eventually devolves into a chest thumping competition between OG/LCI cars and Competition cars... OP, forget what anyone says on here...go drive both and see which one you like better. Both have pros and cons. Both are great cars, with one being a slight upgrade in performance over the other, but other being a great value buy with minimal performance lost. Ultimately it's your choice. Dont get bogged down by all the friendly fire on these threads.
I drove the LCI in discussion here, and it was absolutely fantastic and a blast to drive. Unfortunately the sales guy came with me during the test drive and insisted that I did not get on the highway to avoid putting too many kms on the car.
Driving the M2C before making a decision is a great idea. It will most likely have to be either a used or executive driven vehicle, since dealers here are reluctant to offering brand new M cars for test drives.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 09:12 PM   #34
sharpst77
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowphiveo View Post
I went with the LCI instead of M2C. Felt that the heavily discounted LCI was a better buy for me.

I couldn't justify paying over 10K+ more for the M2C, if the price difference was 5k I would've went with the M2C. The only thing I really wanted are the M2C seats. Both the N55 and S55 have way more power than I ever need as I'm coming from a 2013 BRZ.
Appreciate 2
Dabozo624.50
      04-17-2019, 11:20 PM   #35
Slowphiveo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Heritage Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarfan View Post
I drove the LCI in discussion here, and it was absolutely fantastic and a blast to drive. Unfortunately the sales guy came with me during the test drive and insisted that I did not get on the highway to avoid putting too many kms on the car.
Driving the M2C before making a decision is a great idea. It will most likely have to be either a used or executive driven vehicle, since dealers here are reluctant to offering brand new M cars for test drives.
Maybe reach out to your local BMW club or see if anyone on the forums is nearby with an M2C that would be willing to take you out for a spin?
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2019, 07:06 AM   #36
skillz1318
6MT User
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6MT

+1 drive both before deciding. As others have stated only you can determine if the M2C is worth the extra money for you. I love my 17 but if an M2C was in my budget I would have taken the newer one.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2019, 09:12 AM   #37
Io
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI DCT LBB

I own an LCI, and I tested a M2C. As the LCI has more torque than the M2C below 2500rpm, it does feel faster in the traffic, and the nicer & louder sound strengthens this feeling. Once the road is clear and you can push the throttle, you can feel that the S55 is quite more powerful and torquey at high rpm. At the end, the performances are similar (up to 200km/h at least), but the engine behaviors are totally different, the S55's being closer to a NA engine's, which I like better.
The M2C has also a better handling, thanks to its strut brace and improved steering. It has much nicer seats, and cool M-mirrors. Overall, it's a better package for sure. Many of these things can be retrofitted to an LCI (mirrors, seats, strut brace, steering map), but it's pretty expensive.
If I was in the market now, I would buy the M2C (in black, to hide its ugly big front grill), and I would directly equip it with a Schnitzer exhaust + downpipe, to give it a better sound and a nicer bottom. Still I would not upgrade from my LCI to the M2C, the price to pay (~30k€, tax included) being way too high to end up with a nearly identically-looking car with similar performances.

Last edited by Io; 04-19-2019 at 01:50 AM..
Appreciate 2
termigni1080.00
SConn180.00
      04-18-2019, 09:20 AM   #38
mcarfan
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Io View Post
I own an LCI, and I tested a M2C. As the LCI has more torque than the M2C below 2500rpm, it does feel faster in the traffic, and the nicer & louder sound strengthens this feeling. Once the road is clear and you can push the throttle, you can feel that the S55 is quite more powerful and torquey at high rpm. At the end, the performances are similar (up to 200km/h at least), but the engine behaviors are totally different, the S55's being closer to a NA engine's, which I like better.
The M2C has also a better handling, thanks to its strut brace and improved steering. It has much nicer seats, and cool M-mirrors. Overall, it's a better package for sure. Many of these things can be retrofitted to an LCI (mirrors, seats, strut brace, steering map), but it's pretty expensive.
If I was in the market now, I would buy the M2C (in black, to hide its ugly big front grill), and I would directly equip it with a Schnitzer exhaust + downpipe, to give it a better sound and a nicer bottom. But I would not upgrade from my LCI to the M2C, the price to pay (~30k€, tax included) being way too high to end up with a nearly identically-looking car with similar performances.
Much appreciated!
Wow! 30k€??that is indeed a lot for an upgrade!!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 02:12 AM   #39
Io
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI DCT LBB

Quote:
Much appreciated!
Wow! 30k€??that is indeed a lot for an upgrade!!
You're welcome!

Yes, 30k€. I estimate that I could sell my LCI for 45k€, while a BMW garage would trade it for about 40k€. A similarly equipped M2C would cost me about 65k€. Adding the Belgian registration tax (5600€ to put the car on the road) and the Schnitzer exhaust+downpipe to get a nice sound brings me to ~30k€.

Anyway, I'm 100% in love with my LCI, and it would break my heart to leave it I much prefer to upgrade it from time to time (done: M-mirrors, seat belts, M-perf suspension; soon: carbon strut brace and steering map; maybe later: Schnitzer intercooler and M-seats). I'll wait for the G87 to consider a change.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2019, 04:15 AM   #40
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
I didn't say that the M2 it isn't torquey. I said the the M2C has much more of it. The m2 has 343 ft-lbs of torque and the M2C has 404. That is a huge difference. Torque is what throws you back in the seat and makes your heart pound.
Actually, I think people are also quite sensitive to the derivative of acceleration, which is called jerk. This is why cars with a steep slope to the torque curve feel even faster than they are. Old school turbo cars like Evo and STI feel really fast compared to S55 in ZCP tune. This probably contributes to the feeling that the N55 is more lively at very low RPMs.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2019, 05:18 AM   #41
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, MK8 R, RS6 Avant

Quote:
+1.
With all due respect, but the M2 is the right car for winter driving, provided that is equipped with proper winter tires.
Don’t make the mistake I did and go with the oem michelin alpins. So bad in snow. I also came from a subie and winter performance in the m2 was downright frustrating in comparison lol.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2019, 08:37 AM   #42
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW S1000RR

I'm not saying it cant make it from point a to b. But to think the m2 is the "right" car is just silly.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 09:07 AM   #43
ec90
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
To be fair its 369 with overboost.
'15 Subaru BRZ (Sold)
'12 Camaro (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 09:41 AM   #44
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SConn View Post
And my point was that I jusr don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. I could be wrong, but I don't lose sleep over it for sure.
You can feel however you want. Have you driven a M2c? That's the only way to know for sure. It's not for everyone.
Appreciate 0