BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > No Audio

04-17-2019, 04:46 AM   #1
JWMII
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C, GLE53, GLA 250

No Audio

Got in my car yesterday afternoon on my way home from work and realized right away there was no sound coming from the entertainment system. Nothing! No CarPlay, Bluetooth, the radio, not even the annoying beeping from the backup sensor. Any thoughts? Anyone else experience this?
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2019, 05:45 AM   #2
grl.racr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, MK8 R, RS6 Avant

This happened to me once, and I tried everything at the time - restarted the car, re-paired my phone etc. Left it overnight and next day everything worked fine. It’s never happened again.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 10:55 AM   #3
guyno
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '18M2

There are a lot of problems with the amplifier burning up from water damage. Lot's of people have this issue. They replaced mine in one day under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 05:47 PM   #4
AM9
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2C

Had this happen also, screen said "no signal" it rebooted after about 5 mins driving. Have not gone to dealer since to bring issue up.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 06:48 PM   #5
FractalFootwork
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C, X3 M40i

Garage List
I had this issue a few days after I installed full-screen CarPlay via USB from wibbles. I had also coded the car long before with BimmerCode to mute the ASD. I emailed wibbles and they suggested it was an amp issue. I took the M2C into my BMW dealer and they upgraded the software after seeing an error on the ASD. I got the car back from the dealership and coded ASD off again. The sound worked for a few days, but soon stopped working again. I restored a backup from BimmerCode from before I turned ASD off, and all the sound came back! I'm afraid to do anything else to it now, and I'm currently living with ASD on; need to buy one of those wiring harnesses.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #6
JWMII
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C, GLE53, GLA 250

Seems to be a common problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyno View Post
There are a lot of problems with the amplifier burning up from water damage. Lot's of people have this issue. They replaced mine in one day under warranty.
Looks like you were right. Bad amp, replaced it and the head unit. I get it back tomorrow. Apparently mine was 3rd M2 in this week with the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 02:17 PM   #7
guyno
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWMII View Post
Looks like you were right. Bad amp, replaced it and the head unit. I get it back tomorrow. Apparently mine was 3rd M2 in this week with the same issue.
I figured as much. There are quite a few threads about this topic. Seems the best thing to do is avoid power washing the rear wheel well to try and keep water from blasting in through the vent. I think one person mentioned their dealer put some kind of cover on but i don't know how that will affect the heat by the amp.

Hope this isn't something that has to be replaced all the time after the warranty is up. Should definitely be some sort of fix figured out if there are as many cases as there seems to be floating around.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 02:24 PM   #8
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyno View Post
I figured as much. There are quite a few threads about this topic. Seems the best thing to do is avoid power washing the rear wheel well to try and keep water from blasting in through the vent. I think one person mentioned their dealer put some kind of cover on but i don't know how that will affect the heat by the amp.

Hope this isn't something that has to be replaced all the time after the warranty is up. Should definitely be some sort of fix figured out if there are as many cases as there seems to be floating around.
What about the rear tire kicking up spray while driving quickly in the rain, that could cause some substantial spray too? Heard anything about this?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 03:10 PM   #9
guyno
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContactPatch View Post
What about the rear tire kicking up spray while driving quickly in the rain, that could cause some substantial spray too? Heard anything about this?
I'm not positive but i think the design of the vent was meant to block the water coming from the direction the tire sprays at. When your power washing it (at least in my instances) I was directing the spray at a horizontal angle inside the wheel well that might be getting past the angles of the vent.

Not everyone who has had the same issue as us has stated that they power wash their cars or do it all by hand though so it could be coming from just regular driving in the rain as well.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2019, 09:18 PM   #10
FractalFootwork
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C, X3 M40i

Garage List
Audio has been out in my M2C again for the past few days. Booked service for tomorrow morning.

If the amp is bad are they going to just replace it and call it there, or is there a fix yet to stop this happening again later on?

Does anyone recommend any aftermarket amps?
Appreciate 0