BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > THE ULTIMATE Intercooler Thread - What to Look For Before Buying an FMIC

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-04-2019, 01:41 PM   #199
Happy Motoring
First Lieutenant
Happy Motoring's Avatar
United_States
204
Rep
345
Posts

Drives: OG M2
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
I know you've answered this a million times but I didn't quite see my setup listed.

Dinan exhaust, res delete and FI catted dp. Located in hot ass Dallas, TX where I can def feel heat soak during the summers. Is CSF too much for my setup? I don't plan on anymore mods than this any time soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 01:55 PM   #200
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
11780
Rep
127,937
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Motoring View Post
I know you've answered this a million times but I didn't quite see my setup listed.

Dinan exhaust, res delete and FI catted dp. Located in hot ass Dallas, TX where I can def feel heat soak during the summers. Is CSF too much for my setup? I don't plan on anymore mods than this any time soon.
Hi,
CSF would be perfect for your setup as any other high density 6" intercooler.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2019, 08:45 AM   #201
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
switlikbob's Avatar
United_States
319
Rep
631
Posts

Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Southern NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
ATM for the win.
I agree, and I went ahead and bought one of the ATM units. So, if anyone here is running something like the VF-stage 2 tune or similar, and wants to buy my Active Autowerke intercooler with less than 5k miles on it, for cheap, please PM me.

I will be running a pure stage 2 turbo with inlet pipe, precision raceworks ignition kit, DV+ and 1st gen ///M Perforance Exhaust with Bluetooth controller and TTFS/XDI HPFP (fueling). These are all new additions and / or replacements for my current FBO setup with VF stage 2.

Anyway, check out this bad boy!
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4249.50

      02-20-2019, 04:07 PM   #202
My F87
Captain
United_States
29
Rep
815
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 6MT MG
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (3)

Hey Mike,
Noticing that anyone with at least a Stage 2 is being recommended the larger core. Is this because of the need for more cooling?

What about the pressure drop from the larger core on a stock turbo? Is the quicker spool times because of the downpipe offsetting the lag of the increased IC volume?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #203
heimbo
Private
13
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: m2
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

Mike - Does the CSF require front bumper removal like the front page pic? Thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 05:33 PM   #204
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
11780
Rep
127,937
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by My E90 View Post
Hey Mike,
Noticing that anyone with at least a Stage 2 is being recommended the larger core. Is this because of the need for more cooling?

What about the pressure drop from the larger core on a stock turbo? Is the quicker spool times because of the downpipe offsetting the lag of the increased IC volume?
The pros from the better cooling easily outweigh the increase pressure drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by heimbo View Post
Mike - Does the CSF require front bumper removal like the front page pic? Thank you
Its a tight install but you should be able to get it withouth bumper removal

Last edited by mike@x-ph.com; 02-20-2019 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 06:27 PM   #205
F87source
Major
F87source's Avatar
Canada
484
Rep
1,168
Posts

Drives: 2017 Bmw M2 6mt
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Is the CSF vs vrsf competition over?
__________________
Follow me on Instagram @f87source
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 09:29 AM   #206
cxp213
Lieutenant
cxp213's Avatar
298
Rep
573
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Is the CSF vs vrsf competition over?
It was just a publicity stunt to briefly draw more attention to themselves; Nothing even ever happened other than a few childish IG stories prodding at each other, lmao.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 09:38 AM   #207
Happy Motoring
First Lieutenant
Happy Motoring's Avatar
United_States
204
Rep
345
Posts

Drives: OG M2
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Is the CSF vs vrsf competition over?
I don't think it ever started
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 01:33 PM   #208
Dabozo
Major
Dabozo's Avatar
565
Rep
1,363
Posts

Drives: M2 BSM MT
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Just finished going through all 10 pages here and am still bewildered as to what is best solution based on my setup/future mods. Seems recommendations are all over the place and sometimes contradictory.

Currently have stock turbo, stock exhaust, fabspeed cat. Don't track but would some day like to...and if I did, it would be very rare.
Live in southern Ontario where summers are hot and humid. Don't drive the car in winter.

So the purpose for me is basically some spirited street driving when the opportunity presents itself.

-Future plans are at minimum bm3 stg 1.
-Chance I go stg 2 but would unlikely include a new turbo.
-I have easy access to 93+ octane fuel.

Mike at xph recommended a 5" AA or vrsf.

However I've also seen him recommended larger 6" IC's to others with similar setups and aspirations.

Of course, balance is everything and I definitely don't want to introduce too much lag. This would likely mean a 5" or something lower density. But would like to attempt to future proof myself.

VRSF mentioned a middle of the road option was in development back in December. Tiago, if you are reading this, how is that project coming along?

For you guys out there who have been around the block when it comes to tuning/performance mods, recommend I consider for my IC?
Appreciate 1
JTO242537.50

      02-23-2019, 02:58 PM   #209
nioh_lbbm2
Major
nioh_lbbm2's Avatar
832
Rep
1,234
Posts

Drives: '18 M2 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo View Post
Just finished going through all 10 pages here and am still bewildered as to what is best solution based on my setup/future mods. Seems recommendations are all over the place and sometimes contradictory.

Currently have stock turbo, stock exhaust, fabspeed cat. Don't track but would some day like to...and if I did, it would be very rare.
Live in southern Ontario where summers are hot and humid. Don't drive the car in winter.

So the purpose for me is basically some spirited street driving when the opportunity presents itself.

-Future plans are at minimum bm3 stg 1.
-Chance I go stg 2 but would unlikely include a new turbo.
-I have easy access to 93+ octane fuel.

Mike at xph recommended a 5" AA or vrsf.

However I've also seen him recommended larger 6" IC's to others with similar setups and aspirations.

Of course, balance is everything and I definitely don't want to introduce too much lag. This would likely mean a 5" or something lower density. But would like to attempt to future proof myself.

VRSF mentioned a middle of the road option was in development back in December. Tiago, if you are reading this, how is that project coming along?

For you guys out there who have been around the block when it comes to tuning/performance mods, recommend I consider for my IC?
I believe the larger 6" intercooler are recommended if you go stage 2 and also track often. If you're mostly just a street warrior a high density 5" will do just fine
Appreciate 1
Dabozo564.50

      02-23-2019, 03:31 PM   #210
atlas
Second Lieutenant
Australia
88
Rep
263
Posts

Drives: F10 535i, M2 LCI, G05 X5 40i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Just go the Wagner Evo II Comp. Future proof for your stage 2 tune and relatively light weight. Runs great on my car with stock turbo and no noticeable lag.

Wouldn't bother with VRSF or CSF purely based on their empty claims.
Appreciate 1
Dabozo564.50

      02-23-2019, 03:48 PM   #211
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
11780
Rep
127,937
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo View Post
Just finished going through all 10 pages here and am still bewildered as to what is best solution based on my setup/future mods. Seems recommendations are all over the place and sometimes contradictory.

Currently have stock turbo, stock exhaust, fabspeed cat. Don't track but would some day like to...and if I did, it would be very rare.
Live in southern Ontario where summers are hot and humid. Don't drive the car in winter.

So the purpose for me is basically some spirited street driving when the opportunity presents itself.

-Future plans are at minimum bm3 stg 1.
-Chance I go stg 2 but would unlikely include a new turbo.
-I have easy access to 93+ octane fuel.

Mike at xph recommended a 5" AA or vrsf.

However I've also seen him recommended larger 6" IC's to others with similar setups and aspirations.

Of course, balance is everything and I definitely don't want to introduce too much lag. This would likely mean a 5" or something lower density. But would like to attempt to future proof myself.

VRSF mentioned a middle of the road option was in development back in December. Tiago, if you are reading this, how is that project coming along?

For you guys out there who have been around the block when it comes to tuning/performance mods, recommend I consider for my IC?
Stage 1 , go with 5" including Wagner EVO I, Active Autowerke or VRSF 5" HD

Stage 2 and/or upgraded turbo , go with 6" including Wagner EVO II, VRSF 6" Race CSF or Evolution Racewerks.
Appreciate 1
Dabozo564.50

      02-27-2019, 11:27 AM   #212
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
1309
Rep
4,076
Posts

Drives: AW M2 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SW London

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heimbo View Post
Mike - Does the CSF require front bumper removal like the front page pic? Thank you
No, not according to Evolve YT clip below..



Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
Just go the Wagner Evo II Comp. Future proof for your stage 2 tune and relatively light weight. Runs great on my car with stock turbo and no noticeable lag.

Wouldn't bother with VRSF or CSF purely based on their empty claims.
Agree Wagner Comp Evo 2 is a good upgrade for stock or tuned - I had one on stage 2 JB4'd M135i - all good. CSF seems to work well - compared to stock on STARLA, Evolve's stg 2 remapped M2.

I've asked Evolve, given how narrow the CS FMIC [when compared to wider stock FMIC] is, could this allow room to run 2.5"/3" ducting from lower grill area to both front brakes ?
__________________
Fettled M135i EB AT - gone but not forgotten:
AW M2 DCT

Last edited by Bee Pee; 02-27-2019 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 11:31 AM   #213
Imran@Evolve
Imran@Evolve's Avatar
United Kingdom
2166
Rep
3,124
Posts

Drives: F90 M5, F80 M3, M2
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bedfordshire UK

iTrader: (0)

Fit them all the time without removing the front bumper as per that video above.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 11:56 AM   #214
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
11780
Rep
127,937
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve View Post
Fit them all the time without removing the front bumper as per that video above.
cool Video
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2019, 03:30 PM   #215
CSF Cooling
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
CSF Cooling's Avatar
United_States
193
Rep
152
Posts


Drives: F10 M5 - Imola Red
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Here is the chart from the video that Evolve Automotive put together.
https://flic.kr/p/SPybxf



Summary
- Little to no pressure drop compared to OEM
- 21℃ drop in Intake air temp = ~70℉ drop in IAT's compared to the OEM
- Mid range power gain ~20whp / 20 tq
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 03:40 PM   #216
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
11780
Rep
127,937
Posts


Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSF Cooling View Post
Here is the chart from the video that Evolve Automotive put together.
https://flic.kr/p/SPybxf


Summary
- Little to no pressure drop compared to OEM
- 21℃ drop in Intake air temp = ~70℉ drop in IAT's compared to the OEM
- Mid range power gain ~20whp / 20 tq
Nice!!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 06:07 PM   #217
F87source
Major
F87source's Avatar
Canada
484
Rep
1,168
Posts

Drives: 2017 Bmw M2 6mt
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSF Cooling View Post
Here is the chart from the video that Evolve Automotive put together.
https://flic.kr/p/SPybxf



Summary
- Little to no pressure drop compared to OEM
- 21℃ drop in Intake air temp = ~70℉ drop in IAT's compared to the OEM
- Mid range power gain ~20whp / 20 tq
Pretty good! What's the ambient temperature to ensure this data can be compared with other intercoolers?

Otherwise that's some great numbers! Wouldn't call it power gain though, more accurate to say no power lost due to ignition being pulled as a result of high iats.

But otherwise great results you've convinced me and I'll probably get a CSF IC in the future.
__________________
Follow me on Instagram @f87source
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 01:18 AM   #218
ChristosD
First Lieutenant
ChristosD's Avatar
South Africa
91
Rep
376
Posts

Drives: m135i
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Durban

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
Just go the Wagner Evo II Comp. Future proof for your stage 2 tune and relatively light weight. Runs great on my car with stock turbo and no noticeable lag.

Wouldn't bother with VRSF or CSF purely based on their empty claims.
Empty claims? Are you trying to troll? i have a CSF cooler it cools like a beast with oem fitment and zero lag. Both companies have substantial testing available if you attempt to look you will find it . Peter from pure turbos eu had a great review on the CSF cooler vs the wagner
__________________

'14 F20 M135i EWG FBO:// INJEN INTAKE // PURE INLET// GFB DV+ //
//CSF INTERCOOLER // ER CP // SNOW S2.5 METH KIT // NGK 97506 // ER DP // TMSS MID PIPE //MPE // MPBBK // UR STRUT BRACE // BM3 S2 E30 AGG V7.1 //
Appreciate 1
Taskmaster2330.50

      02-28-2019, 02:18 AM   #219
Tiago@VRSF
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Tiago@VRSF's Avatar
United_States
1918
Rep
41,552
Posts


Drives: F82 M4, M6 GC, F85 X5M, F90 M5
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (99)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
Just go the Wagner Evo II Comp. Future proof for your stage 2 tune and relatively light weight. Runs great on my car with stock turbo and no noticeable lag.

Wouldn't bother with VRSF or CSF purely based on their empty claims.
Wagner and CSF make a quality intercooler but since you're spreading mis-information we're obligated to respond. We have multiple customers out there who have posted data on our Race intercooler including the independent customer testing below which includes a before/after dyno:

VRSF Race Intercooler – N55 F30 335i
75 Ambient | 2-4 Gear Pull | Start 89 – End 86



21hp & 33tq peak gains with over 50hp/tq gained in the mid range.

Appreciate 1
Taskmaster2330.50

      02-28-2019, 02:59 AM   #220
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
1309
Rep
4,076
Posts

Drives: AW M2 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: SW London

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSF Cooling View Post
Mid range power gain ~20whp / 20 tq
Imran@Evolve Hi Imram - the quote above implies you were showing wHP on your dyno in the YT clip I posted above in this thread. Were both 403 std FMIC v 413 CSF FMIC stats at the wheels or at the crank figures ? Thanks, BP.
__________________
Fettled M135i EB AT - gone but not forgotten:
AW M2 DCT
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST