BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Kimchi and Rice - A Build Saga (M2C) (updated 2.26 - Ohlins!)

02-19-2019, 12:06 AM   #111
warrenw
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 07 Honda S2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhanism View Post
And...????
Lol I'll post a preliminary report right now.
Appreciate 1
mhanism202.50

02-19-2019, 01:38 AM   #112
warrenw
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

Ohlins Install + Painting the Muffler

Ohlins Install + Painting the Muffler

Yesterday I had President's Day off from work so some M2 friends and I headed over to our local BMW performance shop so we could do some work.

For me, I wanted to paint my muffler black and install my Ohlins. Another friend, who just received his M2C, wanted to paint his muffler, install front/rear reflector deletes, and install the oil cooler guard.

I showed up a little late since traffic in Seoul sucks, and immediately got to work once I got there.

All lined up, pretty and all.

Now time to get the old stuff outta there! 5,180 miles on these.

Now it was time to start putting the Ohlins together and installing them.

So.... Issue number 1 was that I just went with what Ohlins sends in the box which is 9k/18k or something extreme like that, I've ridden in that before and it's teeth shattering, at least on roads here in Korea. So we sent off for some 12k springs for the rear, much more manageable.

....Then issue number 2. One of the rear dampers' adjustment knob was freely spinning and apparently disconnected. As a result not only could you not adjust the firmness, but if you put weight on the damper to compress it, it wouldn't rebound after. Obviously some issues there.

So as my car was already fairly well taken apart at this point, so do I reinstall everything stock and ship the entire giant package back to the US for warranty repair? Korea has an Ohlins branch so I can just send it there, but does my US warranty cover it? Thankfully the shop owner had a lightly used set of Ohlins which he grabbed two rear dampers from and loaned them to me while I send my pair to Ohlins Korea for repair. I'm going to see if Ohlins USA will reimburse the cost to fix it, but we'll see!

Next on the list was that ugly fugly muffler!

The way we did it was we took (and by we I mean the shop owner and his employee, I just watched) the exhaust off, prepped it by taping off the tailpipes and spraying some sort of cleaner on it to prep the surface. We could have used steel wool to prep it, but we didn't because it seemed like it was "good enough" and if some paint comes off later I'll just reapply. Or, buy a new exhaust.

Anywho, once that was done it was painted twice then reinstalled. Yeah I guess we could have done the heat cycles but as in the above paragraph, if there's issues with the paint I'll just buy a new exhaust. The paint we used was Rustoleum flat black rated to 2000F.

The muffler pretty much disappears now. Happy with the results!

Meanwhile I was jealously looking at my friend's new M Performance shifter... Might be ordering this soon along with some other alcantara stuff Another friend has a M Performance steering wheel and I really like the feel of alcantara on the steering wheel so I might do that too.

I also took a minute to do a mini-photoshoot of another buddy's car, timing was perfect with the snow.

We also did a mini photoshoot with everyone but I'll post about that in a subsequent post, I'm still going through my photos.

OKAY. SO THE OHLINS. WHAT DO I THINK ABOUT THE OHLINS.

So for starters, I have a s2000 in the states that is on Ohlins. Love them on there, knew I'd love them no matter the application so I didn't even cross shop I just went for it. If I wanted to directly compare the stock M2 suspension and Ohlins I would break it into two categories:

For every day driving, Ohlins don't "crash" over bumps and dips in the road like the M2's stock suspension does. For whatever reason my apartment complex thought it would be a great idea to install those stone pavers (they're pretty gnarly) so on my stock suspension it would be pretty jarring and it would seem to "crash" over them, whereas the Ohlins float over them for lack of a better term. I won't say that you don't feel any vibration or that it's literally like an air ride suspension or something like that, but it definitely stays much more composed. As far as stiffness, they're definitely more stiff! But it's not the "so stiff I'm bouncing around everywhere with my teeth falling out" but you can definitely feel that it is stiffer.

For spirited driving, the steering feels more direct and the car definitely is more "planted" and I have a lot more confidence taking a corner. Body roll is diminished significantly. I'll know more once I push the car a bit but yesterday it was pretty cold so I took it easy. I can't underestimate the "direct" feeling of the steering now... Huge difference.

I am going to wait to fully open it up because I still need to get an alignment. I can tell that switching out the suspension has tweaked it a bit (which is understandable) and I went to do it yesterday but the place was so booked up and it was threatening snow so I didn't get it done. I'm hoping for this weekend, it's not a big deal since I took the train to work today anyway lol.
Appreciate 3
      02-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #113
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Chevy Bolt

Another awesome post! Appreciate it!

Curious - where in Seoul is this shop? And would love any more feedback as you get more wheel time and after the alignment. Thanks!!
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 06:57 PM   #114
warrenw
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Another awesome post! Appreciate it!

Curious - where in Seoul is this shop? And would love any more feedback as you get more wheel time and after the alignment. Thanks!!
It's actually in Yongin, which is about 12km south of the very bottom tip of Gangnam. Take the exit right before the first toll booth on hwy 1 and go about 8km from there and it's around there.
Appreciate 1
mhanism202.50

02-19-2019, 08:52 PM   #115
scflaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C, M135I, CLS400

How's the Ohlins on the M2C? I've contemplated it over feverishly but i was worried that it was going to make little noises.
Appreciate 1
mhanism202.50

02-19-2019, 08:57 PM   #116
warrenw
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scflaw View Post
How's the Ohlins on the M2C? I've contemplated it over feverishly but i was worried that it was going to make little noises.
I posted a mini-review in my previous post-

Quote:
For every day driving, Ohlins don't "crash" over bumps and dips in the road like the M2's stock suspension does. For whatever reason my apartment complex thought it would be a great idea to install those stone pavers (they're pretty gnarly) so on my stock suspension it would be pretty jarring and it would seem to "crash" over them, whereas the Ohlins float over them for lack of a better term. I won't say that you don't feel any vibration or that it's literally like an air ride suspension or something like that, but it definitely stays much more composed. As far as stiffness, they're definitely more stiff! But it's not the "so stiff I'm bouncing around everywhere with my teeth falling out" but you can definitely feel that it is stiffer.

For spirited driving, the steering feels more direct and the car definitely is more "planted" and I have a lot more confidence taking a corner. Body roll is diminished significantly. I'll know more once I push the car a bit but yesterday it was pretty cold so I took it easy. I can't underestimate the "direct" feeling of the steering now... Huge difference.

I am going to wait to fully open it up because I still need to get an alignment. I can tell that switching out the suspension has tweaked it a bit (which is understandable) and I went to do it yesterday but the place was so booked up and it was threatening snow so I didn't get it done. I'm hoping for this weekend.
As far as noise, I guess you can get some noises where the aluminum Ohlins rub against the steel connection points (specifically in the area in the photo below) but I haven't heard any. Silent. No creaking, etc. It's a good suspension.

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 10:38 PM   #117
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Random question - how would you compare the M2C to your S2000? I understand the two cars aren't of the same class, time period or purpose, but both are performance sports vehicles; so figured I'd get your take, aside from some of the obvious differences and strengths/weaknesses: 2 seater roaster vs 4 seater coupe, weight differences, ride height, and NA high rev vs. turbo engineer characteristics, technology and luxury features, etc.

How's overall driving 'feel', tossability/nimbleness, fun factor, balance..

Thanks!
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 11:59 PM   #118
warrenw
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Random question - how would you compare the M2C to your S2000? I understand the two cars aren't of the same class, time period or purpose, but both are performance sports vehicles; so figured I'd get your take, aside from some of the obvious differences and strengths/weaknesses: 2 seater roaster vs 4 seater coupe, weight differences, ride height, and NA high rev vs. turbo engineer characteristics, technology and luxury features, etc.

How's overall driving 'feel', tossability/nimbleness, fun factor, balance..

Thanks!
Hmmm interesting question.
For starters, I can't literally compare them side to side because they're physically located 6,000 miles away from each other. But I did drive the s2000 over Christmas and I nearly crashed the car once I started driving! The clutch feel, shifter, everything was SO MUCH DIFFERENT than the M2 it really threw me off.
I think the best way to explain it is the M2 is a hammer and the s2000 is a razor. Actually, a better analogy is the S2000 is a brain surgeon and the M2 is an ER doc - S2000 is precise, exact, and if you mess up it's big consequences with nothing to save you - rear steps out there's literally no saving it. The M2 is sooo forgiving if the rear steps out, but goes about everything with brute force (and quickly at that!) that kind of leaves you in awe that "you were able to keep that guy alive??" One's focus on the track is momentum (s2000) and the M2 is about power. S2000 is a true "sports car" or even I'd say a "track car" that you can drive on the street, whereas the M2 is street car that you can drive on the track.

In terms of value, you get more value out of a s2000. If I de-modded my s2000 and sold it today, I'd sell it for more I bought it for. The M2 depreciated the second I started driving it. S2000 is seen as one of the last raw and mechanical sports cars, and the M2 is seen as a ton of technology shoved in a small package. I love how much cool technology the M2 has and it's all a lot of fun to play with. M2 has torque whereas the S2000 doesn't and you really have to wring it out to get it to do anything, M2 is much more balanced than i thought it would be, but doesn't have the 50/50 weight distribution of the s2000.

So yeah I'd say that they're extremely different, yet of course share similarities. They have that base sports car DNA but one is compromised and the other isn't. You can't choose one or the other because they both serve a different purpose. Most people who buy a s2000 and then sell it end up buying another s2000 later on down the road, I think people who sell the M2 end up buying a M3/4 later on.

Anyway, hope that answers your question in a roundabout way.
Appreciate 2
mhanism202.50

02-20-2019, 12:46 AM   #119
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Appreciate the response and pretty cool feedback! While they're on different ends of the sports car spectrum, I'm relieved to hear the M2 has the sport car DNA still. I'm sure mods like a sportier suspension, exhaust, tune will push things more towards the rawer sports car side of things.

Looking forward to your on-going posts and pictures!
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 06:45 PM   #120
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Oh and I thought the M2 (and most other BMWs) has the 50/50 weight distribution. I could be mistaken, but I thought that was the case..
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 09:02 PM   #121
warrenw
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

Mini-Photoshoot

After we installed the Ohlins + painted the muffler we all went out for a quick photoshoot.

Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 01:28 AM   #122
_RS4_
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: ex 1M

What about ride quality with Ohlins? Much stiffer that stock suspension?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 03:22 AM   #123
warrenw
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RS4_ View Post
What about ride quality with Ohlins? Much stiffer that stock suspension?
Well I went with softer settings than what comes in the box. In the box the rears are 18k and I went with 12k, which is a big difference. Even then, yes the ride is stiffer. A lot stiffer even. But, for obstacles and bumps I think it handles them MUCH better than OEM suspension.

It's also much more competent and it's much, much more capable in corners. Sharper handling.
Appreciate 1
_RS4_175.50