BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Tracked the M2C at Thunderhill 1/12/19

01-13-2019, 02:43 PM   #1
atc5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C, Bolt, 98 Type R

Tracked the M2C at Thunderhill 1/12/19

Took my DCT M2C out yesterday with the big review headline being - WOW this thing is a B L A S T !!!

Interestingly enough, I had a 2017 Civic Type R that I tracked the day I bought it at Laguna Seca and did a few days with it after that. The reason I bring this up is:

1. The CTR is a wildly (and increasingly with the aftermarket) capable car (of course as the M2C is, as well)
2. The engine/throttle response/torque are interestingly comparable - yes I know the M2C has more, but the overall feel - linear power.
3. The DSC characteristics are very similar - in most any situation it'll save your ass. You question are you driving the car or is the computer doing it. I'd argue it's 70 ecu/30 human

First session of the day was scary. For one I had no idea how the car handles, and two, the track was wet and cold.

Sessions two through five I really came around towards opening the car up. What I discovered (DSC on, sport plus everything)

1. So much power - 130 in the straight takes some getting used to considering I have never had a car that can do that
2. Mostly neutral - even full throttle in mid-corner through exit it remained neutral without any understeer (ok - maybe the slightest almost un-noticed) understeer
3. Tire temp around 35-36 hot was the sweet spot for the stock MPSS's. The damn TPMS alerts are annoying though after a session, the tires dropping pressure down to 29 or so, then the TPMS alert would go off while the tires came up to pressure/temp during a session.
4. Turn in is awesome - real smooth rotation
5. Nimble - handles quick weight transfer with a flick of the wheel so nicely

What I discovered?

Car is a BLAST and I'm nothing w/out DSC

Enjoy flogging your M2C's! It's an amazing car!
Appreciate 4
nomoracin761.00
M-Pilot4861.50
cptobvious2531.50
Vintage380.50
      01-13-2019, 03:25 PM   #2
dlong82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Sounds fun. Thank you for the report.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 03:53 PM   #3
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Sounds like you had a lot of fun! Once you are more comfortable with the car, I highly recommend turning DSC off though. Even if you don't go all out with DSC off, you'll appreciate the car even more and learn its limits much quicker.
Appreciate 1
atc556.50
      01-13-2019, 04:16 PM   #4
The_Mitz
Registered
Rep
Drives: ?

Was this with On Grid? Did you like the event?

Thinking about taking my old Subaru out now that I can't drive it on the street due to CARB
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 05:12 PM   #5
atc5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mitz View Post
Was this with On Grid? Did you like the event?
Yep, OnGrid.

Good event - well run, everyone seemed to play well with each other in the hi intermediate and advanced groups.

Heard the beginner group was a little feisty first session out haha
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 07:18 PM   #6
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

What is OnGrid?

Thunderhill Raceway is one of the tracks (along with Sonoma Raceway) I plan on going to after I get the car broken in. Just have to figure out how to do it. For Sonoma I was considering some of the high performance driving school classes they have.

Coming from Sacramento and those are the two closest tracks to me.
      01-13-2019, 07:35 PM   #7
atc5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post
What is OnGrid?

OnGrid is the track "host".

That means that OnGrid rented the use of the track for the day and conducts/coordinates the event.

They are responsible for the registration of people that want to attend, ensure that people understand the track rules including flags, along with ensuring that people are behaving.

Also, OnGrid staff are responsible for tending to the drivers and track staff during sessions - meaning if someone goes off then OnGrid staff will be made aware and choose to do whatever they want about it.

There are many groups that host events:

SpeedSF
OnGrid
Exclusive Track Events
TrackMasters
Hooked On Driving

and a few others I'm sure.

For your first day, sign up in the beginner group and let the staff know when you sign up and when you arrive that this is your first event. Many people will jump in to help you but first thing you need to do is be sure your car is safe to drive:

-helmet (for you)
-understand tire pressure - too low and you can de-bead- too high and you will experience weird characteristics
-tire pressure gauge
-Air pump for tires
-tire tread depth ok?
-fuel (make sure you have a full tank when you arrive)
-oil - make sure NO LEAKS - make sure oil is at proper level
-clean windows
-either have magnet numbers made for the side of your car or use painters tape. Use tape that is a different color than your car so people can see
-youtube - watch a ton of videos to understand the track you're going to.
-Torque wrench - torque your wheels after every session
-An open mind to have fun, learn, and meet a ton of people that love doing this stuff
Appreciate 3
cptobvious2531.50
bplewis24188.50
BlkSVT388.50
      01-13-2019, 09:15 PM   #8
twintiga
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

I’m in Sacramento and plan to take the M2c to T-hill once it’s broken in. Can’t wait! Glad you had fun.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 09:47 AM   #9
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc5 View Post
OnGrid is the track "host".

That means that OnGrid rented the use of the track for the day and conducts/coordinates the event....

-youtube - watch a ton of videos to understand the track you're going to.
Thanks for the tips. I'll add a few items to the list I've been compiling. So far the only thing I have been able to do is watch a bunch of youtube videos. I even long for the days of when Sonoma (formerly Infineon) Raceway was on Gran Turismo. I found a forum thread where some people have re-created the track on more recent games.

Anyway, I have plenty of time. I don't plan on doing any of this until maybe Q3/Q4, once I've had time to take some of the beginner classes.
      01-14-2019, 10:30 AM   #10
palum6o
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

I did T-hill with SF Speed on 12/15 in the rain and really enjoyed it. The afternoon got a little slippery and ended it there. I kept DSC on, but I have done a clinic at Sonoma in the rain with DSC off, and like others said, there's still control in there.. but I get the nerves though, new car, very fast, would hate to catch the dirt going sideways! Next for me is stage 1 at Sonoma in February.

Keep the shiny side up!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 11:39 AM   #11
SCM2016
SCM2016
Rep
Drives: M2C 2019

Sounds like a great time. How did the brakes hold up and did you run original brake pads?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 11:47 AM   #12
atc5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM2016 View Post
Sounds like a great time. How did the brakes hold up and did you run original brake pads?
Brakes were ok - they held up fine without any fade but thunderhill is not a brake heavy track and the temps were a cool 60 degrees.

That said, a pad with more bite will be much better of course.
Appreciate 0