BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > BMW M2 Competition faster than Cayman S, M3 ZCP, Type R, C63S on Magny-Cours GP Track

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-03-2019, 01:33 PM   #1
spetsnazos
Captain
505
Rep
608
Posts

Drives: M2C
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

BMW M2 Competition faster than Cayman S, M3 ZCP, Type R, C63S on Magny-Cours GP Track

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Wicked performance!!!

4 seconds on the outgoing M2

Attached Images
 
Appreciate 14
Robin_NL4307.00
nomoracin399.50
IAF99.50
m20e3087224.00
S65B40250.50
cntzl3748.50
ChrisK3120.00
jxc88831.00

      01-03-2019, 02:06 PM   #2
twintiga
Private
70
Rep
73
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2C
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (0)

Does it annoy anyone else when they refer to a ZCP M3 as M3 Competition, or call the M2c a “comp pack”?

Semantics I know but still annoying. 🤣
Appreciate 10
ChrisK3120.00
Brake_Late1343.50
BishUK355.00
squeaky74.50
TripleU25.00
BAN_M2C2557.00

      01-03-2019, 02:22 PM   #3
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Robin_NL's Avatar
Netherlands
4307
Rep
7,233
Posts

Drives: HS M2 Competition
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands/ Lilyhammer, Norway

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twintiga View Post
Does it annoy anyone else when they refer to a ZCP M3 as M3 Competition, or call the M2c a “comp pack”?

Semantics I know but still annoying. 🤣
It's called 'M3 Competition' overhere in Western Europe.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 5
IAF99.50
Vervain133.50
EVTee14.00
JustChris6772.00

      01-03-2019, 02:46 PM   #4
nomoracin
Captain
United_States
400
Rep
606
Posts

Drives: M2C
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
IMO, they should retune the m2c to the regular m3/m4 tune and see what happens. I'm not saying to do an aftermarket tune...but to just allow the m2c to not be detuned.
Appreciate 4
Robin_NL4307.00
Brake_Late1343.50

      01-03-2019, 03:06 PM   #5
Ceramic Rabbit
Private First Class
United_States
48
Rep
141
Posts

Drives: 2005 Honda Accord V6 Hybrid
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
IMO, they should retune the m2c to the regular m3/m4 tune and see what happens. I'm not saying to do an aftermarket tune...but to just allow the m2c to not be detuned.
A lot of people like the power delivery of the M2C more than the m3/4, it would definitely be nice not to take the 50bhp hit for no reason but the linearity of the map makes drivability better.
Appreciate 2
kpham99.00

      01-03-2019, 04:18 PM   #6
chris719
Colonel
1360
Rep
2,096
Posts

Drives: '08 M Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Looks good for sure, but I don't put a lot of stock in laptimes on such a short track done on different days and different conditions.
Appreciate 9
4everkidd630.00
Kbueno79.50
Tinilp46.50
doug_9991340.00
scrammer322.50

      01-03-2019, 08:11 PM   #7
ContactPatch
Private First Class
121
Rep
176
Posts

Drives: It's Quick!
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Idaho

iTrader: (0)

The company the M2C keeps looks pretty damn good!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 10:39 PM   #8
twintiga
Private
70
Rep
73
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2C
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
It's called 'M3 Competition' overhere in Western Europe.

Cheers
Robin
Does that include the UK?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...46659455466764

They always refer to it as Comp pack on blogs and official reviews.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 10:52 PM   #9
spetsnazos
Captain
505
Rep
608
Posts

Drives: M2C
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Looks good for sure, but I don't put a lot of stock in laptimes on such a short track done on different days and different conditions.
I agree with you, but I also don't put a lot of stock in 0-60 times or the ring. If you care about ring times, this is just as "scientific"
Appreciate 1
chris7191359.50

      01-03-2019, 10:55 PM   #10
chris719
Colonel
1360
Rep
2,096
Posts

Drives: '08 M Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshalygin View Post
I agree with you, but I also don't put a lot of stock in 0-60 times or the ring. If you care about ring times, this is just as "scientific"
The Sport Auto times are the only ones you can really compare. I do think the ring is better than a shorter track, though.

The differences here between a lot of the cars are probably within margin of error.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 12:27 AM   #11
spetsnazos
Captain
505
Rep
608
Posts

Drives: M2C
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
The Sport Auto times are the only ones you can really compare. I do think the ring is better than a shorter track, though.

The differences here between a lot of the cars are probably within margin of error.
I haven't analyzed the drivers or how this test is done but if it's the same driver and on the same day, then I'd disagree. I've sat shotgun with professional drivers for hours on end and their consistency is outstanding.

You're probably right overall but I'm excited to see the M2 Comp in the same ballpark and kicking ass
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL4307.00

      01-04-2019, 01:07 AM   #12
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Robin_NL's Avatar
Netherlands
4307
Rep
7,233
Posts

Drives: HS M2 Competition
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands/ Lilyhammer, Norway

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Looks good for sure, but I don't put a lot of stock in laptimes on such a short track done on different days and different conditions.
2 mins for an avg lap in a faster streetcar is not short.

If laptimes is not your thing I understand. But comparing cars by quarter mile times is a) boring b)inaccurate as well, so is there any substitute?

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 2
VCP1118.50

      01-04-2019, 01:11 AM   #13
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Robin_NL's Avatar
Netherlands
4307
Rep
7,233
Posts

Drives: HS M2 Competition
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands/ Lilyhammer, Norway

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twintiga View Post
Does that include the UK?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...46659455466764

They always refer to it as Comp pack on blogs and official reviews.
I call my car 'M2 Comp' for short, so does Joe Achilles from the UK, but he also refers to his car as 'M2 Competition'.

In the UK it's called M2 Competition 'officially' as well:

https://www.bmw.co.uk/bmw-cars/bmw-m...m2-competition


Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 01:18 AM   #14
twintiga
Private
70
Rep
73
Posts

Drives: 2019 M2C
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
I call my car 'M2 Comp' for short, so does Joe Achilles from the UK, but he also refers to his car as 'M2 Competition'.

In the UK it's called M2 Competition 'officially' as well:

https://www.bmw.co.uk/bmw-cars/bmw-m...m2-competition


Cheers
Robin
Robin my comment wasn’t referring to comp vs competition. My point is that the M3 and M4 didn’t come in a competition model. The competition package was an additional option not a new model.

The M2 comp or competition and the M5c are completely different models and are not packages added to the original M2 or M5.

So to call an M2c a comp package or competition package is not accurate. Also to call an M3 with ZCP an “M3 competition” is not accurate.

But who cares only nerds like us do.

Appreciate 7
Robin_NL4307.00
ChrisK3120.00
///Cardia235.50
dmboone253614.50
BAN_M2C2557.00

      01-04-2019, 01:34 AM   #15
chris719
Colonel
1360
Rep
2,096
Posts

Drives: '08 M Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
2 mins for an avg lap in a faster streetcar is not short.

If laptimes is not your thing I understand. But comparing cars by quarter mile times is a) boring b)inaccurate as well, so is there any substitute?

Cheers
Robin
Well, I guess 2 min isn’t too short, but I’d say the same day is a good start. Some tracks get resurfaced and the times from year to year can vary quite a bit.

To get a real picture of the performance I think you need data from many sources to compare. There are always a few outliers.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 01:41 AM   #16
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Robin_NL's Avatar
Netherlands
4307
Rep
7,233
Posts

Drives: HS M2 Competition
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands/ Lilyhammer, Norway

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Well, I guess 2 min isn’t too short, but I’d say the same day is a good start. Some tracks get resurfaced and the times from year to year can vary quite a bit.

To get a real picture of the performance I think you need data from many sources to compare. There are always a few outliers.
Agree....and this one is another source.

Nordschleife is/has been resurfaced(as we speak) between a few hundred metres from Adenauer Forst to Schwedenkreuz(infamous bump on the inside will be gone I heard)



Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
BAN_M2C2557.00

      01-04-2019, 02:51 AM   #17
Twinsturbo
Private First Class
Sweden
19
Rep
119
Posts

Drives: M2 Competiton AW MT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Well, I guess 2 min isn't too short, but I'd say the same day is a good start. Some tracks get resurfaced and the times from year to year can vary quite a bit.

To get a real picture of the performance I think you need data from many sources to compare. There are always a few outliers.
Agree....and this one is another source.

Nordschleife is/has been resurfaced(as we speak) between a few hundred metres from Adenauer Forst to Schwedenkreuz(infamous bump on the inside will be gone I heard)



Cheers
Robin
They are resurfaceing Kallenhard, ex mühle and hohe acht aswell!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 07:10 AM   #18
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
SUB-ZERO's Avatar
237
Rep
1,711
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: VA

iTrader: (0)

A setup of Cup 2 tires would really help the M2C. There is tremendous loss of traction with the M2C, which really hurts its time I would imagine.
Appreciate 5
COChris423.50
Vintage281.50
AlpsRider975.50
ZIV3R92.00

      01-05-2019, 03:08 PM   #19
COChris
Lieutenant
COChris's Avatar
424
Rep
403
Posts

Drives: M2 Competition 6MT, S54 E46 iT
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
A setup of Cup 2 tires would really help the M2C. There is tremendous loss of traction with the M2C, which really hurts its time I would imagine.
I completely agree. Tires are by far the weak link when tracking this car.
Appreciate 1
SUB-ZERO236.50

      01-07-2019, 11:25 AM   #20
Vintage
Colonel
Vintage's Avatar
United_States
282
Rep
2,538
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2 2014 535xd 2016 GT4
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Austin, Texas

iTrader: (0)

I already have a set of MSC2s waiting to go on my M2C once I have burned through the MSSs.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 11:57 AM   #21
AlpsRider
Lieutenant Colonel
AlpsRider's Avatar
976
Rep
1,709
Posts

Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
A setup of Cup 2 tires would really help the M2C. There is tremendous loss of traction with the M2C, which really hurts its time I would imagine.
This is one of the biggest truths of the M2 series. The M4 has 255/35 and 275/35 tires and the M4 Comp pack have 265/30 and 285/30 tires. I think they wanted to make the M2C "playful", and that it is. Mount some meatier, stickier tires on the M2C and watch the track times go way down.
Appreciate 5
Robin_NL4307.00
SUB-ZERO236.50
ZIV3R92.00
TripleU25.00
BAN_M2C2557.00

      01-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #22
Earthmaster
Captain
Canada
110
Rep
798
Posts

Drives: 12' F10 M5 singapore grey
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: GTA

iTrader: (3)

So there is a 0.04 difference inbetween 4 cars. This can literally be different any day of the week. To say it's "faster" I think is a bit of an exaggeration. Basically all 4 cars perform pretty equally on the track imo.
Appreciate 13
TTBear310.50
BMWDavid303.00
tetsuo111692.00
reprod89.50
synergist539.00
TripleU25.00
JustChris6772.00
doug_9991340.00

Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST