BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches > Rolex

05-16-2018, 10:10 AM   #705
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

Hi guys. I am new to high end watches as I have had only cheap ones in the past. I am getting married this summer and it's tradition in my girls culture for her parents to buy me a jewelry gift. She explained to them I would prefer a watch over a ring or necklace etc. They now have told me they want to buy me a Rolex. They didn't give me a price limit and sent me images of 2 they found at the store that are priced at 12.6k and 15k to give you an idea.

I am a 30 year old mechanic. It will be a watch for occasional weekend use but mainly formal events. Some opinions about what I should look into would be appreciated. I am starting my search now on their website.

After reading a bit about their selection I believe I would prefer a Daytona since it was created for car racing which peaks my interest much more than something like a yacht master.

Last edited by eatsleepboost; 05-16-2018 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 01:23 PM   #706
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleepboost View Post
Hi guys. I am new to high end watches as I have had only cheap ones in the past. I am getting married this summer and it's tradition in my girls culture for her parents to buy me a jewelry gift. She explained to them I would prefer a watch over a ring or necklace etc. They now have told me they want to buy me a Rolex. They didn't give me a price limit and sent me images of 2 they found at the store that are priced at 12.6k and 15k to give you an idea.

I am a 30 year old mechanic. It will be a watch for occasional weekend use but mainly formal events. Some opinions about what I should look into would be appreciated. I am starting my search now on their website.

After reading a bit about their selection I believe I would prefer a Daytona since it was created for car racing which peaks my interest much more than something like a yacht master.
The Daytona is a wonderful watch. Sadly, even though Rolex says it is 'available,' if you walk into an Authorized Dealer and ask for one they will either put you on a waiting list for a year or so, or point you somewhere where you will pay at least 30% mark-up.

I definitely want one in the future, but I went with an Omega Speedmaster to hold off my chronograph needs!

I would also look into the new Baselworld watches (new GMT, etc), but also be prepared to wait a bit.

Do you know if your fiance's family has a relationship with a Rolex dealer? If they do it will be MUCH easier

Just my 2 cents.
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 01:41 PM   #707
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep

Wow I didn't realize about potential wait times. They have connections at 2 Jewelers. Not sure if they are a Rolex dealer. They had a Daytona in their hand and texted me a picture.

They didn't give me options on brands and I don't want to start asking them for different things. The fact that they said pick out a Rolex I am more than grateful for. Her father has a number of Rolex's which is I believe why that's the brand they want to get me.

Edit. The Daytona they were holding I found on the website
https://m.rolex.com/watches/cosmogra...6503-0001.html

I like this one alot.

Last edited by eatsleepboost; 05-16-2018 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
SaMaster144320.50
      05-16-2018, 01:47 PM   #708
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Wow I didn't realize about potential wait times. They have connections at 2 Jewelers. Not sure if they are a Rolex dealer. They had a Daytona in their hand and texted me a picture.

They didn't give me options on brands and I don't want to start asking them for different things. The fact that they said pick out a Rolex I am more than grateful for. Her father has a number of Rolex's which is I believe why that's the brand they want to get me.

Edit. The Daytona they were holding I found on the website
https://m.rolex.com/watches/cosmogra...6503-0006.html
I'm sure that they have connections somewhere then! In that case, I would let them know what you want and let them do the nitty-gritty. It seems that they know the watch world!
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 01:49 PM   #709
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
I'm sure that they have connections somewhere then! In that case, I would let them know what you want and let them do the nitty-gritty. It seems that they know the watch world!
Yea good point
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #710
iamwingman
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Carrera S, 23 Tesla Model S

Quote:

Go with a stainless submariner. Safe bet. Not too flashy. Durable. Classic. Timeless.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 03:02 PM   #711
N55darksoul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 - 135i

In my professional opinion as a Certified Financial Planner...why anyone would waste that much money on a watch is amazing to me...just sayin
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 03:14 PM   #712
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Cuz have enough money to screw around and save?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 03:23 PM   #713
N55darksoul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 - 135i

Being that all the surveys I see show that the majority of American do not save enough, that allot of people I visit with do not save enough money and then knowing that entry level Rolex's run 5k to 8k ....now that explains why no one saves enough...cause of Rolex watches! Be careful out there....
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 03:56 PM   #714
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55darksoul View Post
In my professional opinion as a Certified Financial Planner...why anyone would waste that much money on a watch is amazing to me...just sayin
The person gifting me the watch is in the 8 figure category. 15k isn't going to affect them. Also based on my little knowledge of watches I believe many hold value or even gain. A much better investment than most cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 04:00 PM   #715
iamwingman
Major
Rep

Quote:
Being that all the surveys I see show that the majority of American do not save enough, that allot of people I visit with do not save enough money and then knowing that entry level Rolex's run 5k to 8k ....now that explains why no one saves enough...cause of Rolex watches! Be careful out there....
Majority of Americans don’t save enough. Majority of Americans don’t own rolexes. Rolexes hold their value better than bmw’s though.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 04:03 PM   #716
iamwingman
Major
Rep

Quote:
The person gifting me the watch is in the 8 figure category. 15k isn't going to affect them. Also based on my little knowledge of watches I believe many hold value or even gain. A much better investment than most cars.
Whoops. Didn’t see your post. You beat me to the car comparison.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 04:06 PM   #717
fullstack
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: around in circles.

Quote:

Get the Daytona. Get a watch winder if you find yourself wearing it every weekend.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 04:16 PM   #718
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdPedalAddict View Post
Get the Daytona. Get a watch winder if you find yourself wearing it every weekend.
Just had to look up what that was as I have never seen that before. Thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 05:28 PM   #719
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
my watch box would make you cry lol
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2018, 07:19 PM   #720
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:
Got that right. My Daytona went up 50% in the past year, the market is clearly out of control. The stainless and gold two tone is very 80s. I'd really look for an all stainless watch. Less glitzy for you and it will actually hold value better. A gold face with diamonds can't be what you would want...
My white face stainless Daytona, the prior generation is now about $15,000.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 09:14 PM   #721
ny325
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

Even a SS Submariner is difficult to find. Rolex is holding back inventory on sport model pieces. If you go to a AD, you probably won’t see the display case fully stocked.

Last edited by ny325; 05-18-2018 at 01:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 07:23 AM   #722
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Median family liquid savings in the USA- $3k lmao

However; I am pretty sure Rolexes are not for that crowd.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2018, 07:25 AM   #723
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny325 View Post
Even a SS Submariner is difficult to find. Rolex is holding back inventory on sport model pieces. If you go to a AD, you probably won’t see there display case fully stocked.
I've definitely noticed... couldn't find a regular old black ss sub.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 09:58 AM   #724
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

buying new rolex you tend to take a hit on value unless you get one of the sought after models (116710 BLNR, Ceramic Daytonas, 116610LV, etc.)

but just buying your standard sub or datejust or even the base stainless daytona, youll end up losing. Granted not as much as some things would depreciate, but still will come out in the negative.

Its why I recommend buying those standard models from the used market. I have yet to lose money on a used watch purchase. Especially if you only buy the good deals.
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2018, 05:27 AM   #725
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny325 View Post
Even a SS Submariner is difficult to find. Rolex is holding back inventory on sport model pieces. If you go to a AD, you probably won’t see the display case fully stocked.

Kind of ridonoculous right?
Appreciate 2
ny325895.00
      05-18-2018, 09:30 AM   #726
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
buying new rolex you tend to take a hit on value unless you get one of the sought after models (116710 BLNR, Ceramic Daytonas, 116610LV, etc.)

but just buying your standard sub or datejust or even the base stainless daytona, youll end up losing. Granted not as much as some things would depreciate, but still will come out in the negative.

Its why I recommend buying those standard models from the used market. I have yet to lose money on a used watch purchase. Especially if you only buy the good deals.
You are wrong. Buy any sport ss Rolex and you won't loose value today unless it's a Milguass or any Explorer.
Subs are holding value, the LVc is selling higher than MSRP and Daytona Ceramics are selling second hand on an average of $19k, that's six over retail. There's no such thing as a base Daytona anymore. But even trying to buy an excellent condition Daytona with steel bezel will set you back $13-15k on a used watch, still over retail.

Bottom line if you buy your ss sports Rolex at MSRP, you will at worst break even. Any other model you'd take a $1-2k hit which isn't bad at all. My buddy just sold his two year old Planet Ocean 8500 and could only trade it at the highest amount of $1800. Breitlings, Omega, and Blancpain, etc.. will take a huge hit on resale. The only strong value holders are Patek and Rolex and a few APs.

In the end buy what you really like and plan to keep and you won't have any worries.
Appreciate 2
ny325895.00
SaMaster144320.50