BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Residual value of CPO/Used M3 or M2

09-30-2017, 08:47 PM   #23
Wharf Rat
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ...

All this chatter makes my head hurt. Most cars, M2 included, are not investments.
I find a car I want. I buy it. I enjoy the shit out of it. I buy the next one.
Honestly, I'd be in a loony bin if I was that concerned with residuals, resale value, the next new model, ad nauseam.
Cars are to drive...
Appreciate 2
      09-30-2017, 09:34 PM   #24
M2Nebula
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2, X1, TSX WGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
All this chatter makes my head hurt. Most cars, M2 included, are not investments.
Honestly, I'd be in a loony bin if I was that concerned with residuals, resale value, the next new model, ad nauseam.
Cars are to drive...
I think all the initial hype about the M2 being the next E30 and also comparisons to the 1M as being a somewhat limited car created an illusion that down the road it would be a collector car and may go up in value or at least maintain it's current value. This matters to some and at very least is in the back of other's minds.

News of it being replaced by a better version so quickly after the LCI has just brought the value subject more into the spotlight creating all the chatter that is making your head hurt.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 11:56 PM   #25
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

With rare exception new cars take their biggest depreciation hit in the first three years so if you were to buy a CPO M4 that is 3 years old it has already experienced its biggest depreciation and will continue to depreciate at a slower rate as the years and miles build up. The M2 has not taken as significant depreciation hit as most so far but as supply and demand meet I suspect we will see some more depreciation also the sample size of used sales is small right now so its tough to say how sensitive these cars will be to depreciation.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2017, 11:57 PM   #26
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
Cars are to drive...
Totally agree
Appreciate 0