BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Vibration under load

09-07-2024, 08:58 PM   #1
T.Maas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 328i xdrive

Garage List
Vibration under load

2017, 6MT, 35k miles. Previous owner did multiple autocross events.

Noticing that above 3k rpm, most noticeable in 3rd gear and above, under load I get a vibration under the seat, through the chassis, and in the wheel. In 6th at 80+ there still is a vibration when lighter on the throttle. Car has new tires and did this with previous set.

I’m fully aware of the diff bushing TSB. The bushing has no cracks, but I can definitely see how the excess movement would cause an out-of-line driveline. It moves quite a bit.

I took to a mechanic that has lots of experience with this chassis and has done lots of in depth work on other cars I’ve owned and didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. We looked at the CSB, Guibo, axles, diff, etc. together. He, like me, thinks the dual mount diff bracket with new bushings could fix the issue.

I have some rogue trans mounts on the way. But, I’m not sure what else I could realistically check to determine where this grumble and vibration comes from.

2011 135i DCT, 2011 128i 6MT, 2014 435i FBO, 2006 Z4 3.0Si 6MT, 2003 330ci 5MT, 1985 325E 5MT
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2024, 07:12 AM   #2
OGM2LCI
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 M2 LCI

Saw someone on the U.K. fb page mention these sort of symptoms and he believed it was the clutch packs in his DCT
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 09:52 AM   #3
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Maas View Post
2017, 6MT, 35k miles. Previous owner did multiple autocross events.

Noticing that above 3k rpm, most noticeable in 3rd gear and above, under load I get a vibration under the seat, through the chassis, and in the wheel. In 6th at 80+ there still is a vibration when lighter on the throttle. Car has new tires and did this with previous set.

I’m fully aware of the diff bushing TSB. The bushing has no cracks, but I can definitely see how the excess movement would cause an out-of-line driveline. It moves quite a bit.

I took to a mechanic that has lots of experience with this chassis and has done lots of in depth work on other cars I’ve owned and didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. We looked at the CSB, Guibo, axles, diff, etc. together. He, like me, thinks the dual mount diff bracket with new bushings could fix the issue.

I have some rogue trans mounts on the way. But, I’m not sure what else I could realistically check to determine where this grumble and vibration comes from.
Have you checked the Guibo?
As long 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.
Appreciate 0