BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Stage 2 Build - Emissions Question

01-03-2023, 02:08 PM   #1
Tacomaster
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 f87

Stage 2 Build - Emissions Question

Hey Everyone,

I purchased a 2017 M2 and am planning on going Stage 2 with the parts below. This is my first time modding a car and am concerned on passing emissions here in GA. Will I still be able to pass if were to use BootMod3 to go back to stock settings and then I can go back to Stage 2 when I'm done?

DownPipe - Active Autowerke Catted Downpipe
Intercooler - Wagner Evo II
Charge Pipe - Active Autowerke Charge Pipe
Exhaust - Dinan
Tune - BootMod3

Also, is this all I need or are there better parts I could replace? I chose the AA downpipe since it states it doesn't cause CEL.

Thank in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 02:21 PM   #2
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

If you search on this topic using Google and the key word F87 along with emissions you’ll find threads on this.

If I recall correctly, I saw someone in Georgia having to flash back to stock and reset adaptations in order to clear the test in Georgia. You can reset adaptations with BM3 and a short amount of driving.

Personally, I’d be looking into ways to register the vehicle in another state as a means of avoiding this hassle but I’m not an attorney and I’m pretty dumb so maybe don’t listen to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2023, 08:22 PM   #3
ShortSides
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I've now modded 2 BMWs. The first was a catless downpipes and the second one I opted to not fuck with the downpipe at all. Straight up man, if you can bribe a guy to pass you on emissions then by all means, fuck with the DP. I was "lucky enough" to have a guy that passed me but I was always anxious as the inspection time came near. If you don't have a guy who can pass you, then take it from me... Its. Not. Worth it.

At the end of the day, you're talking about another 20hp? Maybe? I'll sacrifice that HP all day for peace of mind at the time of annual inspection.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 12:04 PM   #4
Tacomaster
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 f87

That sucks to hear ShortSides. I was really looking forward to modding the car. Any other people have any experiences with tuning a car where GA Emissions is needed?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 01:46 PM   #5
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

What about the AA downpipe - do they do a visual or just a OBD check? If it's the OBD check, you should be able to pass with the tune in zero and driving long enough to put everything in ready status.
      01-04-2023, 02:23 PM   #6
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomaster View Post
Hey Everyone,

I purchased a 2017 M2 and am planning on going Stage 2 with the parts below. This is my first time modding a car and am concerned on passing emissions here in GA. Will I still be able to pass if were to use BootMod3 to go back to stock settings and then I can go back to Stage 2 when I'm done?

Exhaust - Dinan
Tune - BootMod3

Also, is this all I need or are there better parts I could replace? I chose the AA downpipe since it states it doesn't cause CEL.

Thank in advance!
I think the DP is going to be your biggest issue. These sniff tests are hardest at idle, and that's where the DP comes in.

I'll say that my exhaust guy swapped my DP in 10 minutes for $80. My ride didn't even get me home and he was calling me to come get it.

If I were you I'd swap your OEM DP back on, and flash back to stock once a year, and have no worries. It's a small price to pay.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 06:27 PM   #7
ShortSides
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacomaster View Post
Hey Everyone,

Exhaust - Dinan
Tune - BootMod3

Thank in advance!
I think the DP is going to be your biggest issue. These sniff tests are hardest at idle, and that's where the DP comes in.

I'll say that my exhaust guy swapped my DP in 10 minutes for $80. My ride didn't even get me home and he was calling me to come get it.

If I were you I'd swap your OEM DP back on, and flash back to stock once a year, and have no worries. It's a small price to pay.
Man if you have a guy that swap it back and forth at $80 a clip, I'd drive to your state for that. Hard to find a place for under 200-300 in the DFW area.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 06:56 PM   #8
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortSides View Post
Man if you have a guy that swap it back and forth at $80 a clip, I'd drive to your state for that. Hard to find a place for under 200-300 in the DFW area.
Jesus bro, it's not that hard, serious! I'd show you what I paid him but it was in cash haha. If your testing facility won't get upset with you for failing knowing that you have replaced the cat, I'd just try it, but I'm doubting it'll pass. If it were me I'd still get it swapped out and flash to stock once a year.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 10:34 PM   #9
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

Quote:
They're ripping you off and charging by the official book time. If they're charging you by the amount of time it actually took it should cost no more than an hour of labor. So either the shops in the DFW area are charging $200-$300 an hour or they're taxing you hard.
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | DS2 + Lift Kit | Nostrum S2 Injectors | TI E5LM | Torqbyte EKP | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2023, 04:36 AM   #10
ShortSides
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eidos View Post
Quote:
They're ripping you off and charging by the official book time. If they're charging you by the amount of time it actually took it should cost no more than an hour of labor. So either the shops in the DFW area are charging $200-$300 an hour or they're taxing you hard.
The DFW area taxes hard on everything, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0