E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Question with dimming rear view mirror

12-14-2006, 03:22 PM   #1
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Too many to list

Question with dimming rear view mirror

Ask we speak im getting tint on my 335i. Im trying to turn off the auto dimming feature on the rear veiw mirror.

I checked the manual and says turn the clown nose, but Im not sure its working because the clown nose before in the 330's were bigger. (as pictured in the manual)

Thanks in advanced.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2006, 03:24 PM   #2
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

what % of tint are you going for?

I've got 20% all around, and I can still see pretty well with the rearview mirror at night with the autodimming function on
      12-14-2006, 04:34 PM   #3
jmonier
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E92, 2002 325i

I think that turning the clown nose only works on the non-auto-dimming mirror. You certainly can't turn the (full-size) clown nose on my E46 auto-dimming mirror.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2006, 04:45 PM   #4
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion

I've got 20% all around, and I can still see pretty well with the rearview mirror at night with the autodimming function on

Just got the car back. I have 40% on the front 2 windows 35% in the back two, and 20% in the rear.

If it doesnt become a big prob then I wont worry about it. Im just concerned because when I didnt have tint, and the rear mirror would dim I couldnt tell what car was behind me. I could still see it just couldnt pick out the make and model of the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2006, 04:47 PM   #5
Minipuck V 2.0
秘書負責保持它真正
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 快車

my opinion with a 17% rear tint is that light still comes through extremely well. i tinted my fronts a little lights so looking in the side mirrors, lights comes through a lot more, if anything i tried to let more light come through so my side mirrors would dim as well.

if you really wanted to, put a tiny piece of eletrical tape over it so absolutely no light comes through. if you don't mind the little piece of tape that is.

i would encourage you to keep it.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2006, 05:01 PM   #6
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep

Heres some pictures of the car. Sry that the quality is crappy it was with my phone.

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2006, 06:56 PM   #7
canucklion
Canada
Rep

you should be fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walked U
Just got the car back. I have 40% on the front 2 windows 35% in the back two, and 20% in the rear.

If it doesnt become a big prob then I wont worry about it. Im just concerned because when I didnt have tint, and the rear mirror would dim I couldnt tell what car was behind me. I could still see it just couldnt pick out the make and model of the car.
      12-14-2006, 07:09 PM   #8
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

nice car and nice tint......
      12-14-2006, 07:22 PM   #9
Hawkshaw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:

+1

My tint isn't that dark in the back though, it's 38%, but I've had no issues with vision at night through the auto-dimming rear view.
      12-14-2006, 07:39 PM   #10
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03
nice car and nice tint......
Thanks alot. Didnt think you would be able to notice the tint as well due to the quality of the pics.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2006, 08:14 PM   #11
bmwmike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe - SOLD

Quote:
Ask we speak im getting tint on my 335i. Im trying to turn off the auto dimming feature on the rear veiw mirror.

I checked the manual and says turn the clown nose, but Im not sure its working because the clown nose before in the 330's were bigger. (as pictured in the manual)

Thanks in advanced.
I had checked with the dealer long time ago and they told me i couldn't adjust or turn off the auto dimming feature.

I don't know about the US cars but the cdn 335i's have polarized windows that get darker and lighter depending on the outside light. It's almost like auto window tinting but not extreme. Everyone comments when they look at my windows in the sunlight asking if i tinted them. I had them next to a bunch of E90 330's and you can tell a difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2006, 08:52 PM   #12
canucklion
Canada
Rep

I don't think polarized glass can change the shade, it restricts the amount of light passing through the glass, but it doesn't change the shade of the glass itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmike
I don't know about the US cars but the cdn 335i's have polarized windows that get darker and lighter depending on the outside light. It's almost like auto window tinting but not extreme. Everyone comments when they look at my windows in the sunlight asking if i tinted them. I had them next to a bunch of E90 330's and you can tell a difference.
      12-14-2006, 09:53 PM   #13
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Thanks alot. Didnt think you would be able to notice the tint as well due to the quality of the pics.
you are driving my dream car
      12-14-2006, 10:26 PM   #14
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
I don't think polarized glass can change the shade, it restricts the amount of light passing through the glass, but it doesn't change the shade of the glass itself
Light is made up of waves that are scattered and not oriented parallel to each others. If you could see the waves approaching you they might look like an asterisk (*) with some light oscillating along the |, some along the \, some along the / and some along the _. Polarization works by passing only lightwaves that are oscillating at a certain angle. For example, if the lightwaves going up and down (|) is passed through polarization material oriented up and down, those lightwaves will pass. But if the lightwaves are moving at an angle to the polarization material they will be blocked; the closer the angle gets to 90°, the more the light is blocked. The more light you block the darker the shade.

If you took two pieces of polarizing material and oriented them at 90° to each other, no light would pass because the first would only allow light oriented, say, verticallly ("|") to pass and the second piece will only pass light oriented horizontally ("_").

What would be really useful, albeit extremely expensive, would be windows with the photogrey coating they put in sunglasses that change when you go from inside to outside and darken with higher intensity of sunlight (less on cloudy days, more on sunny days, clear at night). In essence, automatic window tinting.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2006, 11:38 PM   #15
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep

There that should be a bit better for quality of the pictures I resized them. They are a bit smaller but at least you can see detail now.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2006, 11:45 PM   #16
shadowcoder
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
There that should be a bit better for quality of the pictures I resized them. They are a bit smaller but at least you can see detail now.
Car looks nice with the tints However if I were you, instead of
worrying about the mirror, I would worry more about the 2 reasons you are
already giving the cops to stop you and make your day a bad one - not
having a front plate and having 40% tints on the front.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2006, 12:16 AM   #17
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcoder
Car looks nice with the tints However if I were you, instead of
worrying about the mirror, I would worry more about the 2 reasons you are
already giving the cops to stop you and make your day a bad one - not
having a front plate and having 40% tints on the front.

40% in the front arent that far away from stock windows.

Also everyone in my area doesnt have a front plate. Ive got a warning once about not having one but that was by the PCH and I was kinda speeding. ( in my jetta )
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2006, 12:25 PM   #18
PiperD
Clutch pedal >> Dead pedal
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 335is 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank
...But if the lightwaves are moving at an angle to the polarization material they will be blocked; the closer the angle gets to 90°, the more the light is blocked. The more light you block the darker the shade.
All the recreational fishermen in the audience who've ever sported polarized fishing glasses should understand a practical application of this technology

Quote:
A tint is actually a dark coloured film, but the absence of reflected light can have a similar effect in the situation bmwmike wrote about. If less light is entering the cabin due to polarized glass, then from the outside the interior will appear to be less lit. From far enough away one could draw the conclusion that the windows are tinted.
Retired: '00 328Ci 5MT SteelGrey/Grey/MyrtleWood
Retired: '87 Pontiac Grand-Am 3AT White/Grey
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2006, 12:28 PM   #19
canucklion
Canada
Rep

thanks buddy for a well explained post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank
Light is made up of waves that are scattered and not oriented parallel to each others. If you could see the waves approaching you they might look like an asterisk (*) with some light oscillating along the |, some along the \, some along the / and some along the _. Polarization works by passing only lightwaves that are oscillating at a certain angle. For example, if the lightwaves going up and down (|) is passed through polarization material oriented up and down, those lightwaves will pass. But if the lightwaves are moving at an angle to the polarization material they will be blocked; the closer the angle gets to 90°, the more the light is blocked. The more light you block the darker the shade.

If you took two pieces of polarizing material and oriented them at 90° to each other, no light would pass because the first would only allow light oriented, say, verticallly ("|") to pass and the second piece will only pass light oriented horizontally ("_").

What would be really useful, albeit extremely expensive, would be windows with the photogrey coating they put in sunglasses that change when you go from inside to outside and darken with higher intensity of sunlight (less on cloudy days, more on sunny days, clear at night). In essence, automatic window tinting.
      12-15-2006, 04:37 PM   #20
Two Sheds
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper JCW

I thought the auto dimming mirror worked by having one light sensor facing forward and one facing backwards. It would compare the level of light at the front to the level at the back and dim the mirror accordingly. Hence in daylight it doesn't dim even though it is bright behind you.

If this is the case then if you tint your windows then you would be reducing the amount of light entering the light sensor from the back and so the mirror would not dim as much, in effect automatically compensating for the rear window tint.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2006, 06:38 PM   #21
Mr. BMW
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 M3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
2018 Jeep Grand Che ...  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks in advanced.
My back window is a little darker than legal and I have a hard time seeing anything behind me at night.

There is a sensor in the rearview mirror. It's the little dot you see in the middle of the mirror. You could cover this dot with something and that would disable the auto dimming feature.

As someone else mention, the clown nose only turns if you don't have the Auto-dim feature.
06 330i Monaco Blue/Black (retired)
02 X5 3.0 Topaz Blue/Black (retired)
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2006, 11:38 PM   #22
PiperD
Clutch pedal >> Dead pedal
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 335is 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. BMW
There is a sensor in the rearview mirror. It's the little dot you see in the middle of the mirror. You could cover this dot with something and that would disable the auto dimming feature.
I think it also uses an upward facing sensor in the rain sensor housing, to detect the ambient light level.

Regardless your fix should still work
Retired: '00 328Ci 5MT SteelGrey/Grey/MyrtleWood
Retired: '87 Pontiac Grand-Am 3AT White/Grey
Appreciate 0