BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > F10 M5 Brake Calipers converted to CCB / 2NH Specification - bolt on upgrade for F8x

Today, 06:05 PM   #1
blau3er
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 30d

F10 M5 Brake Calipers converted to CCB / 2NH Specification - bolt on upgrade for F8x

I thought this project may be of interest to F8x owners where I'm currently working on converting F10 M5 calipers into F80/82/83 CCB / F87 2NH specification.

As many will be aware, whilst the 6 piston F10 M5 calipers are essentially identical to the F8x 6 piston calipers, there is a mounting height difference of 5mm between the two caliper bodies.

This is due to the F10 M5 using a knuckle assembly with studs to mount the caliper. The CCB option on F10 M5 uses a 10mm larger diameter disc, and since there is no bracket involved on the M5 hub, BMW had to account for the CCB disc increase by way of adding 5mm to CCB (gold) caliper body.

Then, latterly when the F8x came to market - BMW chose the gold caliper as the starting point for the optional CCB brakes, with the 5mm larger casting at the swivel bearing. However, in order to facilitate fitment onto the F8x hub, they required the use an aluminium bracket / carrier to suit the axial mount requirements of the F8x. The M2 2NH calipers then followed the same route.

The CCB / 2NH calipers are very rarely found on the used market, and when they do come up, they command a very strong premium over the regular M5 caliper due to their plug and play fitment to F8x cars. The regular M5 caliper on the other hand has limited firment options as a standalone caliper and as such can be sourced a) much more easily and b) at a more realistic price point.

I have managed to source 10+ pairs of the OEM bracket and as such, I wanted to effectively turn the M5 caliper into the CCB / 2NH spec, so my work started as follows....

First, I had a couple of pairs of M5 calipers and I had them fully refurbished - these particular ones were painted in Porsche Guards Red, to ensure accurate measurements I also installed a brand new pair of OEM pads too.

I then took a pair of the OEM CCB / 2NH brackets and attached them to the calipers with a small 5mm spacer between the caliper and the bracket - these are not the final spacers obviously, and were merely used here for proof of concept.

NOTE: I have sourced longer bolts to account for the spacer, to ensure the same thread engagement. The new bolts are the correct 10.9 grade, which almost all OEM's use for brakes. Most aftermarket adapter kits use 12.9 grade as it is next to impossible to find on the shelf 10.9 bolts in the correct pitch. It took quite some time to source these but I wanted to replicate the OEM set up wherever possible.

The next job was to mount it all up onto a hub - using a 400x36 M2 2NH disc to confirm that everything lines up as it should - which it does!

Some close ups of the pad alignment on the friction ring:

The final task is to now have some spacers machined to the the same size as the brake caliper / OEM bracket mounting surface. An off the shelf 5mm washer would do the job - however again I want to complete the project with an as close to possible OEM look / feel in terms of quality - so custom machined spacers will finish things off perfectly. Martial choice for the spacers will likely by 7075.

I will update the thread with some final pictures once the spacers are made and fitted.
Appreciate 0