BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Ppf and tint expectations

06-26-2021, 05:42 PM   #1
GTRicky
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C, '10 Z NISMO, EVO IX

Ppf and tint expectations

After researching for a long time I got some tint and full frontal ppf done at a supposedly reputable good installer. I have gripes with them but not sure if i'm being too nitpicky. They wrapped the seams but the seams are bunched up and rough looking on a single side inside the hood. Tint is still bubbled after a couple weeks around the defroster lines. A small chunk of tint was missing on the driver window that I brought up initially and they said it was just a peel mark or something and no big deal. They even left a razor inbetween my back seats I didn't find until today . Is this bad work or am I nitpicking too much? Obviously things like the ppf aren't going to be 100% invisible but i'm going back and forth in my mind on how bad this actually is or isn't.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 06:08 PM   #2
Foggins
Restless
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

Dude, I am no expert but that is shoddy work! I would definitely take it back and have them fix it. Can't expect perfection, but their work looks pretty rough.
Appreciate 1
smknjoe234.00
      06-26-2021, 08:47 PM   #3
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 10:08 PM   #4
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Id say unless you paid like $500 for that I would expect a lot better. They wrapped that thing like the wrapper around a lollypop, not good.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 10:22 PM   #5
GTRicky
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3awak3n View Post
Id say unless you paid like $500 for that I would expect a lot better. They wrapped that thing like the wrapper around a lollypop, not good.
No I actually spent a few grand on what was supposed to be a top end place. They were voted xpel installers of the year. They have great reviews and get a lot of high end cars so I expected great things. They seemed to know their stuff so I'm kinda shocked by this. I definitely paid for better. They wrapped the seams in so they're not visible and collecting dirt, I know the corner seams aren't going to be perfect but this seems obviously terrible right?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 11:09 PM   #6
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep

Perhaps most other people don't care since it's not seen from the outside, but for me it would bother me. I had mine custom wrapped too and while it doesn't wrap around as much as yours, it is still precisely trimmed underneath. I'm sure if you brought it up they can easily just clean it up for you. I've had to go back to my shop a few weeks after to do some clean up trimming as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 05:08 PM   #7
GTRicky
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyymonster View Post
Perhaps most other people don't care since it's not seen from the outside, but for me it would bother me. I had mine custom wrapped too and while it doesn't wrap around as much as yours, it is still precisely trimmed underneath. I'm sure if you brought it up they can easily just clean it up for you. I've had to go back to my shop a few weeks after to do some clean up trimming as well.
Are you able to take some pics so I can have something to compare it against to set my expectations?

I talked to the shop as I realized that grease from the hood adjusters were running down into the open seams and pooling up making a further mess. Also noticed the mirror ppf was actually already starting to come off. Very frustrating as I did pay for top quality work, they're going to fix it but I'm not feeling very optimistic after noticing one thing after another.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 07:16 PM   #8
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRicky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyymonster View Post
Are you able to take some pics so I can have something to compare it against to set my expectations?

I talked to the shop as I realized that grease from the hood adjusters were running down into the open seams and pooling up making a further mess. Also noticed the mirror ppf was actually already starting to come off. Very frustrating as I did pay for top quality work, they're going to fix it but I'm not feeling very optimistic after noticing one thing after another.
Here are some shots… I don't have a hood shot as I'm doing some repairs and had to take off PPF, will be reinstalling a few weeks. I have my whole car wrapped so I took a shot of the trunk, rear fender and door. It's a bit hard to see so I tried to point at it. My hood was the same as these.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 09:20 PM   #9
maxcbrdriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 535xiT; 2021 BMW M2C

I agree that some of the bunching is excessive in the OP shots, but those in the prior comment don't look like much of anything. I had my car fully wrapped as well and I have some blemishes as well; spec of dirt trapped here and there, a bubble or two in a bend. Id like to think for the cost I'd get absolute perfection, but I guess not. I'm torn whether I should push the issue or accept that I am simply expecting too much.
Appreciate 1
ROASTM163.50
      06-28-2021, 06:49 AM   #10
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Its never going to be 100% perfect and its fine if it isn't where you can't see it but the bunching up is not good because that coulda been easily trimmed and would have looked fine. Maybe they forgot to trim it/ I bet they would fix it if you brought it up to their attention. Perfection is hard to attain and its different in everyones eyes. We get so obsessed with our stuff that we want everything to be perfect and sometimes we just have to let go a little (don't get me wrong, the bunches on the hood are not good period but the other pictures you sent are fine). I have a farm house that my wife and I are restoring and at first anything would bother me that ceiling lines are not straight, gaps in wood panels and other things but what was I expecting on a 200 year old house lol, so I had to learn to let go a little bit and just see things different. I am still pretty picky but I let some things go because it would just keep me up at night
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 08:07 PM   #11
GTRicky
Rep

Took it back in and it looks a million times better. I knew hood wrapped edges would be visible but it felt excessive the first time around. Never done this type of ppf before so I wasn't sure how much to expect. They also had to completely rewrap the mirror. Looks much more like Mikey's now and i'm pleased so far.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
(K)1282.50
      08-24-2021, 09:40 AM   #12
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Yeah it looked pretty crappy before. Glad you brought it back to get corrected. Those bad edges would just collect dust and start to peel from.

2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 0