THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing SCCA Classification for F22 M240i

05-06-2024, 10:39 PM   #1
gmcguyre
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

SCCA Classification for F22 M240i

I apologize, but what am I missing? Why does SCCA classify the F22 M240i in FS and if you make just about any modification to it they then classify it into SST when a FS Camaro SS 1LE goes into STU. The M2 Comp which starts in BS also moves into SST. Is SCCA saying that the M240i is closer to the M2 Comp than I know? How would SCCA classify a M240iR?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 08:52 AM   #2
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Signal Orange wrapped 230i THP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcguyre View Post
I apologize, but what am I missing? Why does SCCA classify the F22 M240i in FS and if you make just about any modification to it they then classify it into SST when a FS Camaro SS 1LE goes into STU. The M2 Comp which starts in BS also moves into SST. Is SCCA saying that the M240i is closer to the M2 Comp than I know? How would SCCA classify a M240iR?
The m240iR isn't a production car and doesnt have an interior, so it would be straight into Modified.

You could probably replicate most of an m240iR starting with a road-legal m240i to put it in Xtreme A if you kept enough of the emissions equipment to register it as a streetcar and enough interior bits that it retains a "finished appearance" with headliners, carpets, and trim pieces that don't interfere with a cage. That still may not be enough to dislodge the S2000s and EvoIX's that tend to run that class now anyways.

But overall, I agree the SCCA is insane for considering all 2-series - even my 2.0T 230i - to be materially indistinguishable from an M2 for most purposes. It seems that winning an SCCA title isn't about buying a cool car and picking the right mods to make it competitive; it's about waiting for a manufacturer to build a truly brilliant production car that is beneficially misclassified by the SCCA, then jumping on that car right away to get some wins in a stock or limited prep class before it's reclassified into a more appropriate category when everyone else files protests.

My advice is to build what makes you happy as an owner and driver, then have fun running it regardless of your trophy potential. It's a gentlemen racers club from the 1950's. Consider alternatives like Gridlife if 'run what you brung' is more your style.
17x9 APEX Arc8-R, 255/40/17 RE71RS, Vorshlag Plates, Swift Spec-R Springs, m-Performance Bumpstops, Dinan ShockWare, Paragon 2-piece rotors, Carbon lip, custom 3" alumalite splitter, GTS wing, FTP Intake and Charge pipe, BootMod3 Stage 1 OTS

Last edited by 230iZTR; 05-08-2024 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 2
SW111295.50
Dom147102.50