05-16-2021, 11:15 PM   #14
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tes View Post
Sounds good And will do!! I'll definitely document and capture pictures when I end up tackling it!!

I was going to do a bit of assessing on clearance today after my differential/6MT transmission fluid change, ended up destroying my transmission fill port was too frustrated to continue
Cool sounds good!

Wait you too?

When I did my Manual fluid swap last year I stripped the piss out of the drain port - unfortunately these things happen. Then when I wanted to helicoil it the walls of the drain bolt were too thin (the drain sticks out like a tube) and if I did helicoil it there would only be 1-2 mm of material left so I opted out of it incase it would crumble. It probably would have held just fine but I didn't want to risk it if my alternative solution would work.

So my fix was to cross thread an ez drain valve into the drain hole so it is really stuck and will not fall out, then I used JB weld to seal the surroundings and seal it in. Since this drain bolt design does not use a crush washer or gasket I suspect the threads to be tight enough to stop a leak, and this seems to be true because when I took out the OEM bolt it didn't leak a drop of oil until the entire bolt was out. Anyways I tested my fix and it does not leak as suspected. The new fix makes it pretty nice to change fluid since you can just open the valve to drain, and I have implemented a wire clamp as an extra measure to ensure the valve will never be bumped open accidentally. I also have a billet aluminium cap for it to ensure the valve opening stays clean. overall it is a clean fix and the profile of the valve is short enough it fits under the transmission cover without hitting it. I also have a camera placed under there so I can monitor the transmission at all times.

I don't ever suspect it to leak because of how tight the valve was when I cross threaded it in there, so the JB weld will be an extra line of leak prevention. If I feel like it in the future I will remove the valve and rethread the transmission drain with a drill and tap set, or maybe a different helicoil kit that takes less material out of the sides. But I feel it is totally fine as is and have 100% confidence in the fix.

Last edited by F87source; 05-17-2021 at 12:03 AM..
Appreciate 0