View Single Post
      03-18-2021, 12:00 AM   #20
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver87 View Post
So cool, I admire the passion! What a journey you completed, sure beats the crap out of picking it up driving 10 miles home and parking it lol.

Incredible pictures, sure makes me look at SO in a different light!

Bravo my friend!
Yes indeed, I'm to the point after ED and this trip where I don't think I can do the dealer purchase anymore. I have to have some sort of adventure with the new car. That and it is so much easier to order the car than to do the on-site/email back and forth. Note that some of the pics had been edited...but it definitely looks different in many different lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santua View Post
Wow. Thank you for sharing your experience with us, it looks like a really fun experience. I stumbled upon your thread because I am planning on doing a road trip on my M2C. If you don't mind me asking, how was the aftermath on the car?
She definitely did not escape unscathed. The entire front-end is clear bra-ed which helped a lot. However, that said, I noted the massive rock/gravel hits that happened to the driver front between Lafayette, Louisiana and Uvalde, Texas, with most of those happening in eastern LA and Houston area from the trucks. The headlight took a shot so hard the film basically formed a scab that was coming loose. It seems to have healed quite a bit and looks smaller but still like a permanent bug squish. I am investigating having that piece of oil replaced by a local shop right now. There were some similar hits below that where the bumper got scratched/scuffed underneath such that the paint and some plastic were shifted, but the clear bra is intact (weird, I know). Then on the roof right above me there's a rock hit that's through the paint and almost looks like a very faint dent, though I don't think it is. That's the worst of it.

The minor items are small hit to passenger A-pillar, through paint. Rock chip in that same region of the windshield, but just a chip not a star. And then quite a few tiny, but through paint chips in the passenger fender above the film.

These are all very minor and most people wouldn't notice if they weren't shown them. However, they are enough to drive me a little mad.

All that having been said...see my road trip across the country and back in my M4 in the summer of 2019. That trip was nearly twice as far, and aside from me scuffing the front diffuser region of the bumper on a parking berm, there was almost no road damage.

It's honestly just a hit and miss thing. Yes, it sucks and you have to go into these sorts of trips expecting something will happen. However, I'd do it again in a heartbeat and had planned to drive Ilse (the M2C) all the way across the country and back again this summer for Advanced M School at VIR, with the goal of hitting all the contiguous states she's yet to see (and North Dakota for me), but BMW changed the schedule for that school and I'm not sure that will happen. So, I have another potential road trip up to North Dakota anyway. We'll see what happens. All I can tell you is unless you think your M2 is going to be some million dollar investment 50 years from now, just go out there and have fun. Life is too short not to.
Appreciate 2
santua36.00
NWest549.50