Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SM2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Joe Achilles tests the new Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 Connected Smart tires on his M2 Competition.

The first application for these new tires are on the BMW M2 CS as OE tires. See more tire info here: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1731119

What's the point the car comes with TPMS that allows you to see both psi and temperature.
The TPMS refresh rate is very poor compared with what Michelin offers in the video. If you track before, you will know the tire temperature is a very big factor on how high performance tire performs. Though there's a good rule of thumb that you warm up for two laps, being able to tell when your tire is at optimal temperature band and push for a hot lap can be somewhat valuable.
Just seems like a gimmick to me. When on track all you need to know is 'do I need to stop and adjust pressures'. When on the track, the BMW system is sufficient enough to tell you pressures are approaching cautionary levels. Failing that, your hands and arse are pretty good sensors for tire slip.

Having a system tell you in real-time what the pressures are is somewhat irrelevant unless you are competing in professional racing and have a team at hand who can provide your real-time analysis and feedback on a per corner basis (aka, F1).

As a driver at a track day, the only thing you can do is slow down, back off or stop and adjust pressures. If the current technology doesn't do enough to equip you... well, need I say more. For track days, even timed laps, this just comes across as a massive gimmick designed to sell more tyres (and at a higher price).
Appreciate 1