View Single Post
      06-05-2020, 10:07 AM   #1
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Evo 3 FMIC Install/Review

Hey guys...been wanting to post this so for a bit but work has me busy..but I'm on now so I figured I could post a lot of what was exchanged with member ZM2 via email.

So where to start. It was a bit of a gamble to purchase this as the Wagner rep. had previously informed me it won't work for the F87. He was partly right.

Second issue I was having was finding an actual image of the intercooler kit. The PDF they provide isn't very good and on top of that...its images of a different model of the Evo3...as the charge pipe looks like an Xdrive one???

I purchased from Mike at X-PH but even his site shows the wrong model of the Evo 3....but the proper one did arrive in a timely manner!

Thanks Mike!

Ive attached the Wagner PDF below.

3 Small issues with the kit.(Photos follow in succession of points)

First: The brace upfront is a no go. Just by eyeballing it you'd have to cut it up to the point were I'm not sure it would properly brace anything anymore. So I went ahead and purchased the V-Brace that is standard on a 235i. I reused 2 bolts from the original and just purchased some washers and nuts to bolt both locations down(not pre-threaded).

Edit 6/9/2020: Fellow member ZM2 was able to modify stock brace to fit with Evo 3.

Second: They don't provide screws for the IAT sensor to mount to their Chargepipe....a bit annoying but no huge problem....purchased those screws...I'll provide the size.

Third: If you look at the PDF it mentions that the intercooler will also be mounted to the new provided crash bumper...problem on the M2 is those bolts are too short to be threaded into the intercooler and reach the bumper to mount. I will be going to the hardware store to find longer bolts and nuts to fix this. Its still very secure with the OEM mounting points.

Trimming: M2 has 2 shrouds up front. The bottom portion can be removed and stored...the top portion will have to be trimmed. (Follow the Fmic install guide from Mishimoto youtube video, they give direction on how to remove this and overall good guide to remove the bumper if you don't know how)

Initial impressions: This thing is seriously nice. It drips quality. I was always in the camp of...I don't want to trim a thing...but honestly, this wasn't that bad and the trade off is seriously worth it. So far throttle does not feel different. I mean damn, they claim less pressure drop then the OEM unit?!? If anything the car does not feel asthmatic in this damn heat. I gotta find some time to slip out of town and do some long logs in 100+ heat. Need more seat time to focus on throttle behavior.

Silicon is nice and sturdy. CP has 2 methanol bungs! Which is a huge plus for me as my old CP only had one. The CP even has the OEM style post that mounts to the grommet..just like the stock CP....this thing lines up nicely to the enlarged oulet/inlet.

The bumper is a pretty awesome piece that they didn't have to include. Its hefty, and has openings which I'm certain is to increase surface area exposure of the intercooler.

Member ZM2 was kind enough to chart some pulls I did with the intercooler in mostly 100 degree heat. I'll do so on the next post!

Any questions? Ask away! .....I'm bad at guides lol.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf 200001144_Installation Instruction Intercooler-Kit BMW F20-22 F87 N55 EVO3 (1).pdf (907.3 KB, 359 views)

Last edited by GerardzM; 06-09-2020 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 11
ZM22821.00
SeanWRT3179.00
M2guru402.00
243Racing1447.50
tenkies147.00
boldy153.00
AmuroRay2301.50
Altra265.50
6speed_M23646.50