View Single Post
      01-05-2019, 04:41 PM   #9
david45
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI

Thanks for posting this! Lots of interesting info!

Just curious here but have you considered running your front speakers active and ditching the passive crossovers? This is what I'm going to do when I get my match 7 UP amp (or Helix P SIX MK2...still undecided)
Most people choose to unplug their center speaker and rears and run an extra set of cables to the 4'' mids, which gives you more flexibility as well as some extra headroom in terms of power.

The OEM underseat woofers are said to perform quite well with the extra power at 2 ohms provided by the Match amp (160 WPC) since they're badly underpowered from factory, especially considering they wouldn't play anything below 80hz in your system. I assume they would also have an easier time reaching up to your Morel mids than the Earthquake woofers. Did you try them before swapping in the new drivers? Do you still have them? In my case I'm considering the Jehnert Flatlines 3 way set which includes the xe200 woofers. They are quite efficient at 91db/W at 1m and don't need much power, but need a real subwoofer depending on material being played.

Most importantly, I'd like to know how you feel about the corner-loaded subwoofer in custom enclosure. I believe you're only adding about 25 pounds to the M2 (10w3v3 driver + enclosure + amp) which is not too substantial. You probably notice a nice increase in volume when you open up the ski pass? Rattles? How do you like it with various types of music?
I'm considering going IB but it's a lot more work, more costly and most likely heavier depending on drivers used, materials (plywood vs mdf), rear deck vs ski pass, etc.

Here are 2 links you might also find of interest:

https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/h...ssories/sdmi25

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1489778

(6spdcoupe is amongst other things the Jehnert distributor in the US and seems quite impressed with the new alpha one underseats.) They're expensive, but from what I understand they go just as low as the Earthquake, are more efficient and can play a lot higher just like the xe200 woofers. They're probably not as clean and tasty sounding as those (TBD), but should represent a good compromise for people not willing to deal with the added weight and complexity of a trunk subwoofer...to a certain extent of course. Oh and they're available at 2-ohm so perfect for the Match 7 UP!!

Cheers,

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtboy View Post
Finally got some time to do some more tuning. I had to buy a new Windows laptop to get the DA1 programmed to "BMW". So now I am running digital from the headunit to the amp.

Here's a pic of the latest tuning session:

This is the closest I could get the eq curve to match the "house curve" in the Audiotec Fischer DSP program.

I've got all crossovers set to 24db Linkwitz-Riley.
Crossover points are:
200hz high-pass for front/center/rear
70hz high-pass/200hz low-pass for underseat woofers
70hz low-pass for trunk subwoofer

To try to combat the mid-bass hole the SWS 8Xi's have, I actually boosted their gain higher than the rest of the channels. That way, the eq could cut the frequencies that were too high while leaving most of the mid-bass at the appropriate level. While this improved the sound a lot, you can see that there is still a dip around 160hz. Honestly, I don't notice it while playing music.

I also took the opportunity to setup some more sound profiles in the Helix Director:
1. All speakers playing, including center and trunk sub.
2. All speakers and sub playing; center off.
3. All speakers and sub playing; center and rears off.
4. All speakers playing, including center; trunk sub off (this involved deleting the high-pass crossover point of the underseat woofers so that they play down to 20hz.

I may add more sound profiles in the future, but for now this will do.
Appreciate 0