View Single Post
      04-30-2016, 11:04 PM   #2
supersam
Da Baus
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT, RA, E46

B) AC vent Remote Display
Lets not rehash work thats already out there. For removal/disassembly of the driver side AC vent, refer to the P3 vent gauge diys for the F30/20. This theme emphasizes that this install isn’t anything special or difficult, just making use of great resources already out there for the bmw community.

Link: http://www.p3cars.com/content/pdf/f20-vent.pdf
Video:

Once disassembled, you will need to make room for the remote display (remove vertical slats and the rotating flap that controls air flow. Of the horizontal slats, you will need to remove the 2nd from the top to improve visibility of the detector display.
Name:  ac_vents_discards.JPG
Views: 8084
Size:  509.8 KB

Once you’ve gutted the interior of the AC vent, slide the Remote Display through the back and go back to the car. Figure out what location works best for you given your height/seating preferences. I wanted mine towards the top since the vent opening is already tapered with a smaller width at the top. This way, air flow below would be preserved and maximized. During test fits in the car, I also decided I’d remove one of the horizontal slats (2nd from the top) to improve visibility of the arrows and signal strength.

Mark where you need to cut the AC vent on the side to fit the RJ-11 input.
Name:  ac_vent_RJ11_cutout_stencil.JPG
Views: 7810
Size:  265.5 KB
Name:  ac_vent_RJ11_post_cutout.JPG
Views: 7738
Size:  224.7 KB

In order to secure the Remote Display in this spot, I used Sugru moldable rubber. This stuff is the best and has near-unlimited uses. It is stable to high heat, electrically neutral, an extremely strong bond, that is still reversible. During the curing stage, you can also put some soapy-water on your finger to smooth out the edges and make it look like cleanly applied silicone. https://sugru.com/about
Name:  RD_sugru_s_slats.JPG
Views: 7803
Size:  182.7 KB
Name:  RD_sugru_s_slats_1.JPG
Views: 8578
Size:  384.9 KB
Name:  RD_sugru_c_slats.JPG
Views: 7735
Size:  448.2 KB
Name:  RD_finished_day.JPG
Views: 7712
Size:  361.7 KB
E46 330ci --> S54 M3 xplant vzv 3bananas (retired)
Appreciate 2